• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott Krist

A silly question

Rate this topic

First of all I'm new here, so hello everyone! I'm a Wings fan living in Georgia and was born and raised in Michigan. Anyway, I have a pretty trivial question that maybe nobody has an answer to. I've been watching Red Wings hockey for years. Game 1 of the stanley cup finals I noticed that Red Wings with letters ie: "C" or "A" have them sewn on their right shoulder instead of the left where it's always been in the past. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice until the Stanley Cup finals started and all the wings had the stanley cup patch on the same shoulder. Is there a reason for this? Yeah, I know it's a pretty meaningless question but my mind won't let it go no matter how hard I try so I figured I'd consult the experts. Any ideas?

IIRC, it used to be the way it is now, but then they changed it. Then they changed it back since the C and A didn't fit on the new style uniforms because of the tailfeathers (for lack of better term) on the Wheel.

Hope that helps.

When the NHL switched to the Reebok Edge jerseys, the C and A patches no longer worked on their traditional left side of the jersey, as it would have overlapped one of the seams in the jersey (because the seam comes too close to the "wing" part of the left side of the jersey). So they switched them to the right side last year. The Free Press ran a story about it when it happened, but it's gone the way of the dodo, so this is about the best I can find.

There's actually a history of the Captain's C being on that side of the Wings sweaters. Terrible Ted was kind enough to show us...

Ted_Lindsay3456.jpg