• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Debating another jersey.

Rate this topic

As a reward for my boards being over in 9 days ( :blink: ), I've decided to reward myself with a new jersey. I'm down to four- old-school Sawchuk or Howe, modern McCarty or Helm.

Any ideas? Other cool ones I'm not thinking of? Already have my Chelios jersey and my wife has Shanny and Cleary, so those are out.

Where do you get the old-school jerseys from? If you can find one that actually looks authentic (with the smaller-winged logo) I'd say either Sawchuck/Howe, otherwise it won't look right.

Funny you mention Helm, I'm thinking of getting one over the summer since he's all but guaranteed to be on the roster for good and I'm loving him more ever game he plays. I hate the cheap feel of the EDGE jerseys, but eh.

I would go Franzen, but that's probably because I own a Franzen jersey. I was skeptical at first (since my fiance bought it for me, and I wasn't expecting Franzen), but I absolutely love it now. Not to mention, he's going to be around for the next 11 years (barring a trade, heaven forbid).

Where do you get the old-school jerseys from? If you can find one that actually looks authentic (with the smaller-winged logo) I'd say either Sawchuck/Howe, otherwise it won't look right.

Funny you mention Helm, I'm thinking of getting one over the summer since he's all but guaranteed to be on the roster for good and I'm loving him more ever game he plays. I hate the cheap feel of the EDGE jerseys, but eh.

Agreed....100%

Guest Shoreline

Personally I don't get a jersey unless that player either looks like he's spending his career there or merits the rare $$$$ I fork over for a jersey. Normally I'm quite frugal and prone to buyers remorse.

I'm ordering a new one myself. I know the feeling of trying to decide. I have two white ones, one is an Yzerman while the other is just the jersey.

I'm thinking a red Zetterberg with the Stanely Cup patch to look good in in and around the Preudential Center and MSG when the Wings come out this way next season...

I've got an autographed Zetterberg jersey from last year's cup finals. It's nice but I don't want to wear it for fear of ruining it.

I would consider getting a Helm jersey, I hope the Wings keep him around for a long time.

The retro Howe jerseys show up every so often on Ebay- here's one. No luck on Sawchuk.

As a reward for my boards being over in 9 days ( :blink: ), I've decided to reward myself with a new jersey. I'm down to four- old-school Sawchuk or Howe, modern McCarty or Helm.

Any ideas? Other cool ones I'm not thinking of? Already have my Chelios jersey and my wife has Shanny and Cleary, so those are out.

41vUKZBMdPL_AA280_.jpg:rolleyes:

I'm ordering a new one myself. I know the feeling of trying to decide. I have two white ones, one is an Yzerman while the other is just the jersey.

I'm thinking a red Zetterberg with the Stanely Cup patch to look good in in and around the Preudential Center and MSG when the Wings come out this way next season...

That's what I did this past year - a Zetterberg jersey with last years SC patch on it. Unfortunately, the Wings lost when they came and played the Caps in DC this year. It's still an awesome jersey. I also couldn't help myself last year and splurged for a Lidstrom Winter Classic jersey.

It wouldn't surprise me if they come up with something different for the games in Sweden this year, but unless it's both different and "cool" I don't know that I would buy another just yet.

I'd advise against getting one for a current player who doesn't have a long-term contract with the team unless you don't mind having a closet full of Averys, Quincys, Bertuzzis, etc. I love Darren Helm, for example, but I wouldn't buy his jersey because I could easily see him end up on someone else's roster in a couple of seasons. Old-school's always good, because clearly a guy who's retired can't be traded. However, if he's still alive, he can still disappoint you (like Probert cheering against us during the Chicago series, tsk-tsk).

So I suggest Terry Sawchuck for you. :)

Personally I don't get a jersey unless that player either looks like he's spending his career there or merits the rare $$$$ I fork over for a jersey. Normally I'm quite frugal and prone to buyers remorse.

+1

I'd advise against getting one for a current player who doesn't have a long-term contract with the team unless you don't mind having a closet full of Averys, Quincys, Bertuzzis, etc. I love Darren Helm, for example, but I wouldn't buy his jersey because I could easily see him end up on someone else's roster in a couple of seasons. Old-school's always good, because clearly a guy who's retired can't be traded. However, if he's still alive, he can still disappoint you (like Probert cheering against us during the Chicago series, tsk-tsk).

I'm with you, only guys who will have long careers with the Wings or have already had long careers with them. AND they have to have won a cup with the Wings. I still see the odd Wendel Clark 71 jersey wandering around Joe Louis Arena

41vUKZBMdPL_AA280_.jpg:rolleyes:

Everybody loves Stevie, but that wouldn't look right to me because he never wore that style. The cut doesn't really matter that much, but the 'C' on that side of his chest is a dead giveaway.

By the way, I've been finding really amazing deals for NHL jerseys on eBay lately. I got an authentic Zetterberg Winter Classic jersey for something like 60 bucks!

For retired WIngs, I was thinking a Larionov jersey would be cool. Sounds like you would be more likely to go for Konstantinov though. I've got Yzerman (gotta have an Yzerman) and a Fillpula. How about Ericsson?

For retired WIngs, I was thinking a Larionov jersey would be cool. Sounds like you would be more likely to go for Konstantinov though. I've got Yzerman (gotta have an Yzerman) and a Fillpula. How about Ericsson?

Larionov and Konstantinov are both in the ever-growing list, now. ;) Anybody know when they started putting names on the jerseys? I don't want to get a custom Sawchuk made, and include the name if it were never there.

I have quite a few jersies. But I only have three RW jersies. WC Lidstrom, red Cheli, and a blk practice Cleary.

The ones that I would like are gonna be Datsyuk, Z, Helm, and Ericcson.

I have been looking for a good looking Sawchuk one for years. I have a Northstars Modano, the white Nordiques Sundin, a Winnipeg Selanne, and a Toronto Sundin.

I've been thinking about what I want to get. I'm waiting to see what happens this summer. Hudler, Hossa, Franzen or Helm is what I'm thinking.

... Old-school's always good, because clearly a guy who's retired can't be traded. However, if he's still alive, he can still disappoint you (like Probert cheering against us during the Chicago series, tsk-tsk).

I agree with everything you said, but would like to add one thing. While it is true that Gordie Howe is not dead, I think it's safe to say that he will not do anything to disappoint Red Wings fans. Yeah, he played in Hartford for a few years, but the Red Wings are clearly his team and there is no way he'd ever do anything anti-Red Wing.

I would go Franzen, but that's probably because I own a Franzen jersey. I was skeptical at first (since my fiance bought it for me, and I wasn't expecting Franzen), but I absolutely love it now. Not to mention, he's going to be around for the next 11 years (barring a trade, heaven forbid).

I would say Franzen 100% for sure. A good late game hero and will be on the All-Star team in the next couple years or at least should be.