• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Debating another jersey.

Rate this topic

Am I the only one that's still bothered by the use of the term "jersey"?

I still call them sweaters.

They haven't actually been sweaters for quite some time now. And the current incarnation of the NHL jersey is probably about as far from a sweater as it could get without being a tank top.

I can't fathom Helm not staying on this team for years to come. The wings brass loves him and knows how much energy he brings, at least in the playoffs. I just can't imagine us letting Helm walk or trading him.

Just wait until the Rangers, Oilers or Brian Burke offer him four and a half million a year. Anybody good enough for the Wings to love is also good enough for a stupider team to overpay for. And if that doesn't do it, it could cost a young guy with a lot of potential to score a much-needed trade deadline acquisition.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong, but you've got to consider the possibilities.

I was all set to buy a new jersey last weekend but I couldn't bring myself to do it. My wife took one look at the red Edge jerseys on display in a store in Edmonton and said "Wow, that's ugly." She bought me a white Yzerman for Christmas nine years ago... but she was right. For $110 jerseys (no name and number), they look like they're pieced together with really thin material. So I'd go old school.

Never thought I'd miss the swoosh. The Yzerman jersey has held up through a long time, and is probably one of the oldest pieces of clothing I own.

The next RW jersey I get will be either old school red Shanny or a WC Dats.

I like the Helm option. My most recent was an authentic white Hossa with the Stanley Cup patch. Last year I bought the authentic white Filppula. Helm will probably be next to add to my collection. I have to pick up a 1988 style Petr Klima, too.

Best. Sig. Ever. :lol:

I'm sort of a jersey geek, but I have one basic rule: either a guy has to be signed for a LONG time or his legacy to the team has to already be secure. I always avoid playing the futures game--there's no such thing as buying low, they're all damn expensive. Get someone who you KNOW is going to be relevant in a few years. Which isn't Darren Helm, as much as I love the guy.

The three jerseys in my sig are ones I own...I also have white Shanahan and Fedorov and a red Yzerman with the 1998 Cup and VK/SM patches. Spent all my HS graduation money on that one back in the day. The Datsyuk one I got after the finals last year, and it has the 2008 finals patch on it. I REALLY wanted a Zetterberg because he won the Conn Smythe but went with Datsyuk because Z obviously hadn't signed his deal at that point. Seriously. If we win this year, I'll get a red Z with the 2009 patch (wouldn't be able to stand the sight of the patch if we lose), and it'll be sweet to have the Eurotwins with consecutive Cup patches. After that, I'll probably look at a Franzen with whatever patch they come up with for the games in Sweden. Osgood's on the radar, but only if I can find a goalie cut, because it would bother me if it wasn't. Hossa would join the club if we signed, but obviously not right now.

Agree with everyone else on the classic jerseys--only go that route if you get a decent degree of realism. That means the correct logo, sweater-ish material, no name, etc.

Finally, to answer the question that's been asked a few times: according to NHLUniforms.com, we began putting names on the whites in 1973-74 and on the reds in 1977-78. These were just basic looking straight across names. The familiar arch style for lettering began in 1982-83, although we had a really different numbering style that year. Starting in 1983-84, our names and numbers were more or less of the current style.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Thank you for the video! That's my hamster's favourite song, but I never saw a video for it. I am so going to have to show it to him when he wakes up.

Back on topic.

Thanks C-town Wing for the post. It was very informative.

I like calling them sweaters too.

Casey- I'm not sure how you feel about him, but I'd say Mac's legend is pretty secure in Detroit. Same could be said for Homer, Draper and Malt, although of this group, only Homer was a lifer.

Casey- I'm not sure how you feel about him, but I'd say Mac's legend is pretty secure in Detroit. Same could be said for Homer, Draper and Malt, although of this group, only Homer was a lifer.

Not sure? Look at my sig. ;)

It's down to McCarty or Helm. An homage to the Grind Line, or a look at Grind Line 2- Nightmare on Helm Street?