• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Snazzy

Is Datsyuk a one of a kind?

Rate this topic

I just can't but think that Datsyuk is just a one of a kind player. I cannot think of anyone who ever played the game the way he does... Well Igor Larionov was kinda similar, but not nearly the same caliber. Datsyuk's puck possession, puck handling and decision making is just amazing. I serioulsy think he's the funnest player in the NHL to watch, because he comes up with new stuff everytime he plays the game... and his ability to humiliate super stars. I am so glad to witness this era of hockey, because Datsyuk takes the NHL to a much higher level of skill.

It's just so amazing how the Detroit Red Wings can draft such players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Franzen (not to mention Flip, hudler, Kronwall and crew)

I think so, but primarily on merit of stickhandling and puck possession. There have been others that have had amazing vision and understanding of the game. Plenty with better shots. Many that can pass as well. I have to say I think he is hands down the best stick handler of all time. Granted there is little footage before 1970 or so, but can't imagine anyone else making top tier, HOF defensemen look like rookies while he is standing still or barely moving. Creativity and execution with the puck, yes, one of a kind.

I'd have to think a bit more about it, but he may be the best backchecking puck stealer too?

I think so, but primarily on merit of stickhandling and puck possession. There have been others that have had amazing vision and understanding of the game. Plenty with better shots. Many that can pass as well. I have to say I think he is hands down the best stick handler of all time. Granted there is little footage before 1970 or so, but can't imagine anyone else making top tier, HOF defensemen look like rookies while he is standing still or barely moving. Creativity and execution with the puck, yes, one of a kind.

I'd have to think a bit more about it, but he may be the best backchecking puck stealer too?

Melrose said you can't tell how hurt he is because his skating wasn't that good to begin with. oh the things that come out of that mullet.

Melrose said you can't tell how hurt he is because his skating wasn't that good to begin with. oh the things that come out of that mullet.

melrose probably confused dats skating with his

i think his all round abilities are one of a kind

I'd say it's a little of a stretch to say Igor Larionov wasn't a player of the same caliber as anyone in the league today, even Dats. You've got to remember that we only got to see him play at the end of his hockey career. When he was younger, in the USSR, he was a world-class star.

Anyway, I wouldn't say Datsyuk is altogether unique in the league. The fact that he plays exceptional defense sets him apart, but there are a few others who display just as much flair (Ovechkin, for example).

Well let's be real about Melrose's comments.

Datsyuk's skating is not a thing of beauty, such as someone like Fedorov in his prime. That's really all that the mullet meant by that comment, Datsyuk doesn't skate pretty but it's not a beauty contest.

I was thinking about this today at work with the NHL awards coming up..

we can all admit that despite some fatigue, the wings were not the same team as they were in games 1-4 without datsyuk as they were in game 5. with that said, I often hear the debate about this years hart trophy and how you have to look at the team without that certain player to see the impact they carry. We have all heard that detroit has to many individual stars for that to help datsyuk win the award.

After game 5, I feel like he deserves to be considered more for his role on this team from more people outside and around the NHL IMO

Datsyuk not skating at 100% doesn't show as much because there is so much more to his game than that. He still stickhandles like no one else, makes passes, plays defensively, does basically everything. The only time I noticed his lack of speed was coming back out of the Pens zone tailing someone who was carrying the puck, other times he would have overtaken them and stolen it, but he could not make the play because he was not at top speed it seemed.

Not many people look like one of the best players on the ice coming out after an injury that kept them out for 7 games, even fewer can make jokes about it while they are out and after they come back.

His stick work alone is one of a kind, couple that with his vision on the ice and his ability to use his body even though it isn't extraordinarily large, and the rest is history.

As far as two way forwards go, I think both him and Z are one of a kind, just different kinds. I think of Z and I remember the 5 on 3 PK from last years finals, and his ability to make the wrap around somehow a viable scoring chance. I think of Pasha and see goalie's jock straps hanging from the crossbar, and the back-checking of a rabid wolverine, a rabid wolverine that has somehow honed the skill of using a hockey stick.

Yes. No other player plays at Datsyuk's level as far as hand-foot-eye coordination goes. Zetterberg plays a quicker game and might be harder to knock off his skates, but he doesn't even have the one on one ability Datsyuk does.

Lets not turn this into a Zetterberg vs Datsyuk thread. They both play for the same team. I'm just asking if anyone is comparable to Datyuk's amazing style of play.

We can all admit that we are very fortunate to have such a player on this team... and he makes like 2 million less a year than Crosby and Malkin.

I just can't but think that Datsyuk is just a one of a kind player. I cannot think of anyone who ever played the game the way he does... Well Igor Larionov was kinda similar, but not nearly the same caliber. Datsyuk's puck possession, puck handling and decision making is just amazing. I serioulsy think he's the funnest player in the NHL to watch, because he comes up with new stuff everytime he plays the game... and his ability to humiliate super stars. I am so glad to witness this era of hockey, because Datsyuk takes the NHL to a much higher level of skill.

It's just so amazing how the Detroit Red Wings can draft such players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Franzen (not to mention Flip, hudler, Kronwall and crew)

Fedorov in his prime was one of a kind. Datsyuk is very good...but not THAT good.

In his prime, Fedorov was among the best goal scorers and playmakers in the league, while being the league's best defensive forward, the league's best skater, and having one of the hardest and most accurate slapshots. He didn't fight often, but he did play a physical game and was IMPOSSIBLE to knock off the puck. His stickhandling was the best I have seen in my entire life. He was capable of playing any position as well as anyone in the league at that position, including defense. It's something I have never seen or heard of before, and will likely never see again.

Datsyuk is great, and by the end of his career will likely by a HOFer, but Fedorov in his prime was possibly the best, and most dominant, all-around player the NHL will ever see.

Fedorov in his prime was one of a kind. Datsyuk is very good...but not THAT good.

In his prime, Fedorov was among the best goal scorers and playmakers in the league, while being the league's best defensive forward, the league's best skater, and having one of the hardest and most accurate slapshots. He didn't fight often, but he did play a physical game and was IMPOSSIBLE to knock off the puck. His stickhandling was the best I have seen in my entire life. He was capable of playing any position as well as anyone in the league at that position, including defense. It's something I have never seen or heard of before, and will likely never see again.

Datsyuk is great, and by the end of his career will likely by a HOFer, but Fedorov in his prime was possibly the best, and most dominant, all-around player the NHL will ever see.

It must be something about those Russian players. I love them!

Datsyuk not skating at 100% doesn't show as much because there is so much more to his game than that. He still stickhandles like no one else, makes passes, plays defensively, does basically everything. The only time I noticed his lack of speed was coming back out of the Pens zone

IIRC, the play you are referring to was the play where he was trailing Hossa and was tripped.

One, Datsyuk was tripped so he wasn't going to catch Hossa. Two, Hossa is a faster skater than a healthy Datsyuk, and 98% of the rest of the league, so Dats probably wouldn't have overtaken him unless Hossa planned it anyway.

I'll agree on most points - with the exception of stickhandling. Federov was supremely talented at it, could skate like a tornado through and around people holding the puck. He definitely can keep up with Pav in that regard. But nobody, and I mean nobody, can do the creative puck wizardry that Pav has displayed since his rookie year. Dragging it back and forth and back and forth through a defensemen's legs, making him dizzy... then getting knocked off the puck by second defender for not moving his feet! LOL. He's gotten a TON better about that since year one and two. But the sheer creativity, coordination, and execution to make people look silly... I love Federov and probably agree about him being the most dominant and complete player, but can't say as his stickhandling was on par with Pav. Can't say anyone's is!

Isn't this a fun topic to tee off on... how blessed are we to have so many fan-freaking-tastic players to cheer on over the nearly two decades of high caliber hockey!

Is he one of a kind? I think so...but it's because he's got such a blend of talents on the ice, and such a personality and life off the ice. When you watch him on the ice, you never know what he's going to pull out of his bag of tricks. That unpredictability is a great thing.

But it's also who he is off the ice...considerate, polite, gracious, funny...this is a guy who keeps stuffed animals in the back seat of his car to give to kids when they ask for autographs...who asked me if I would like him to autograph my Dynamo jersey. Who is unfailingly patient with the fans in TC waiting for autographs and pictures. Not an egotistical bone in his body...who still thinks every day of his parents, even though they are gone now, and never got to see him play in the NHL.

Yes, he is a one of a kind.

I don't see anyone else in the league who is making 6.7 million a year and is nominated for the Hart, Selke and Lady Byng trophies.

Hell yes he is one of a kind. Just like Ovechkin is. Just like Fedorov was. These aren't players that you can replace just like that. These players don't come around all the time.

Datsyuk has his own style, he is easily recognizable and he has a toolbox that is out of this world. Take into account his background, and that he was a very, very late draft pick that nobody expected to become much of anything and what you have there is a One Of A Kind player.

Feds was good, but Dats has him in the Stickhandling/playmaking abilities IMO. Feds was def faster, and had a harder shot and was one smooth skating sob, but couldn't dangle like dangle does. I also think it is a far cry (as much as I like Feds) to say he was the most dominant all around player the league will ever see. Also, in another one of your posts you mentioned dats not being able to catch up with Hoss. I think you are talking about the wrong play. I think the poster was talking about a play where Dats couldn't quite catch up to a Pens player. I remember the play well, and Dats just didn't quite have the same jump he normally has (from a top end, and getting to that top end speed) perspective. He still has the playmaking, but he clearly does not have the same speed he had before the injury.

Feds was good, but Dats has him in the Stickhandling/playmaking abilities IMO. Feds was def faster, and had a harder shot and was one smooth skating sob, but couldn't dangle like dangle does. I also think it is a far cry (as much as I like Feds) to say he was the most dominant all around player the league will ever see. Also, in another one of your posts you mentioned dats not being able to catch up with Hoss. I think you are talking about the wrong play. I think the poster was talking about a play where Dats couldn't quite catch up to a Pens player. I remember the play well, and Dats just didn't quite have the same jump he normally has (from a top end, and getting to that top end speed) perspective. He still has the playmaking, but he clearly does not have the same speed he had before the injury.

Stickhandling I don't know if I agree with. Deking, maybe. But Fedorov in his prime was virtually impossible to strip of the puck, and rarely turned it over. Datsyuk has sick dekes, but he is probably easier to strip of the puck than Feds was. So it really depends if your definition of stickhandling is "ability to deke" or "ability to keep the puck" and Fedorov was definitely better at the latter.

As far as the skating play, I was simply guessing at which play was being referred to, as that play sounded like what he was describing.

My statement about Fedorov possibly being the most dominant all-around player was simply conjecture; the league will improve in its talent, especially in terms of all-around players, but what I was saying is that it's unlikely we'll ever again see a player who is so dominant over his peers in so many aspects of the game as Fedorov was.

Datsyuk might not be a one-of-a-kind pure talent, but as far as the way that he plays and his style he is certainly unique. The way that he's all over the ice, twisting, turning, lifting sticks, stealing pucks, setting up talent, even just the way that he skates is all incredibly unique and not like any other player.