106 replies to this topic

#61 zaxx

zaxx

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 01:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Translation: he plays for my team now, he can do no wrong.

Wow just wow. If Hossa were to enter tomorrow nights game and through a cheep shot on any Pens players (causing an injury) then I would most certainly hate the guy. I would be the first to sign a petition to send to Babcock to not play him in game 7 and send him away from the proud organization that is the Red Wings. He can do wrong, but he did not do wrong last year.

Not being concerned with logic makes accepting when you are wrong difficult. Ask any politician.

#62 zaxx

zaxx

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 01:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another rationalizer who knows more about Pens fans than Pens fans themselves. Glad to have you aboard!

He never said anything about the Pens organization.

#63 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (StormJH1 @ June 8, 2009 - 02:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(By the way, I respect you for coming here and talking to us, and wish you the best of luck in good sportsmanship for the rest of this series and next year, but this topic does get me fired up)

There are many ways a forward can "show up" that don't appear on a scoresheet. This partially explains how Crosby and Malkin can score eleventy billion points during the Eastern Conference Finals, and then run into difficulties playing against Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who elite-level defensive players. Hossa has been a presence in this playoff both defensively and with his puck control while Datsyuk was out, even if his offensive numbers are lower than expected.

The salary cap is the same for every team. While you compare Hossa's $7.4 million contract to his meager goal production and conclude that it's a dissapointment for the Wings, I doubt they'll lose much sleep over that if his presence contributed to our overall depth and a 2nd consecutive Cup.

Interesting how you see Hossa's play.

I see a guy who's been fed like a Japanese cow the whole playoffs, and has almost nothing to show for it. The other night was a prime illustration -- do you ever get a sweeter pass than Hossa got while all alone in front of the other team's back-up goalie -- and still not score?

And check the "should we resign Hossa?" thread -- only about a dozen Wings fans screaming about what a waste he is after the loss in Game 4. Only the win in Game 5 took the heat off him.

I'd like to see more sportsmanship too this series, which I must admit was a bit lacking from my own team in Game 5.
"Don't think they don't cheat. It's just that we're better at cheating, that's all.''
--Dan Cleary

#64 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (zaxx @ June 8, 2009 - 03:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He never said anything about the Pens organization.

Nor did I, if you bother to actually read what I wrote.
"Don't think they don't cheat. It's just that we're better at cheating, that's all.''
--Dan Cleary

#65 zaxx

zaxx

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 01:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, and for the millionth time -- it's not about him leaving for another team. It's HOW he went about it that's stuck in some people's craws.

You guys are trying to have it both ways. On the one hand, so many fans here are delighting in the thought of Hossa winning the Cup and rubbing it in to Pens fans. On the other hand, you all want to claim Pens fans have no right to gripe about Hossa in the first place. Well how can that be? By acknowledging Pens fans would be ticked off, you admit there was something there to make them ticked off in the first place. See what I mean?

It's like it's not enough that your guys win, they also have to be the "good guys," the angels who never do any wrong.
Pardon me while I sit back and chuckle at that thought.

Kind of like saying there really IS a tooth fairy, and Franzen never dives. I mean, c'mon...

Franzen does take the odd dive. We know it, admit it and get very mad at him when he does it. We would prefer if he would stay out of the scrums because he may be big but he does not know how to fight.

No one wants to see Hossa "rubbing it in to Pens fans". We want our team to win just like you want for yours. If the Wings win I hope Hossa (and the rest) keep professional and do nothing stupid. I also hope the Pens fans do the same. Last years game 6 loss would be hard yet I saw many classy Pens fans clapping and cheering for the cup, the Pens, AND the Wings. Good on them.

#66 zaxx

zaxx

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 01:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nor did I, if you bother to actually read what I wrote.

I think you failed to read what you wrote. He did not make any assumptions about the Pens or knowing more then anyone else. He pointed out that the Pens lost several good prospects (and a couple good players) to get a guy for 4 months and that would be hard. There is no assumption there, yet you attack him for one. You may read but comprehension is a whole different world for you.

#67 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

Who really cares if the Pittsburgh fans are upset about Hossa leaving? Nobody other than Hossa, his agent, the Penguins organization and the Wings organization know what went down. Everything else is just speculation. If they want to hate on Hossa, let them. What does it honestly matter to us?

And really, Hossa departure from Pittsburgh is like a shadow of Fedorov's departure from Detroit. There's major controversy within the fan base over what actually went down and whether people should dislike him or not. Same situation with Hossa. Why does it matter?
QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 19, 2009 - 01:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A new Lemieux-McCarty fight, as seen by internet forum posters.

Lemieux cheapshots a player with his walker, drawing the ire of D-Mac, who hobbles over. They draw their canes, salute, and cross them, then proceed to repeatedly whack eachother over the heads while hanging onto the bench with their other hands for balance. D-Mac then hits Lemieux's hip, which gives out, Lemieux feebly falls to the ground, crumpling as D-Mac continues to land barely noticeable Yoda-esque cane strikes. Lemieux's age begins catching up to him, crying "what a world, what a world..!" as he melts into a puddle of goo.

#68 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (zaxx @ June 8, 2009 - 03:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Franzen does take the odd dive. We know it, admit it and get very mad at him when he does it. We would prefer if he would stay out of the scrums because he may be big but he does not know how to fight.

No one wants to see Hossa "rubbing it in to Pens fans". We want our team to win just like you want for yours. If the Wings win I hope Hossa (and the rest) keep professional and do nothing stupid. I also hope the Pens fans do the same. Last years game 6 loss would be hard yet I saw many classy Pens fans clapping and cheering for the cup, the Pens, AND the Wings. Good on them.

"Franzen takes the odd dive?" That's like saying the President takes the odd trip to the Oval Office. Really, watching him act like he was shot in the face after Malkin hit him Saturday Night made me think he should work as an extra in war movies.

But I digress... and hey, thanks for pointing out there were some actual Pens fans who showed some sportsmanship during the Cup presentation ceremony. With all the "Pens fans have no class, they're the Devil on Earth!" posts that have been put up here, that's quite a refreshing change.
--Dan Cleary

#69 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Ms_Hockey @ June 8, 2009 - 03:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who really cares if the Pittsburgh fans are upset about Hossa leaving? Nobody other than Hossa, his agent, the Penguins organization and the Wings organization know what went down. Everything else is just speculation. If they want to hate on Hossa, let them. What does it honestly matter to us?

I don't know, I didn't post the thread... maybe you should ask the Wings fan who took the time to start it?
--Dan Cleary

#70 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 03:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know, I didn't post the thread... maybe you should ask the Wings fan who took the time to start it?

I'm asking everybody who feels the need to continue this debate as if it's going to make a difference.

Penguins fans are upset at the way Hossa left. Wings fans don't think they should be. But it won't change anything. Penguins fans are still going to be upset. Wings fans are still going to think it's stupid. Butting heads for four pages just seems stupid.

Edited by Ms_Hockey, 08 June 2009 - 02:29 PM.

QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 19, 2009 - 01:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A new Lemieux-McCarty fight, as seen by internet forum posters.

Lemieux cheapshots a player with his walker, drawing the ire of D-Mac, who hobbles over. They draw their canes, salute, and cross them, then proceed to repeatedly whack eachother over the heads while hanging onto the bench with their other hands for balance. D-Mac then hits Lemieux's hip, which gives out, Lemieux feebly falls to the ground, crumpling as D-Mac continues to land barely noticeable Yoda-esque cane strikes. Lemieux's age begins catching up to him, crying "what a world, what a world..!" as he melts into a puddle of goo.

#71 BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool

Lets get Schlitz faced!

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Ms_Hockey @ June 8, 2009 - 02:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm asking everybody who feels the need to continue this debate as if it's going to make a difference.

Penguins fans are upset at the way Hossa left. Wings fans don't think they should be. But it won't change anything. Penguins fans are still going to be upset. Wings fans are still going to think it's stupid. Butting heads for four pages just seems stupid.

... but thats why BTP is here, to stir it up.
LETS GO RED WINGS!

#72 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Ms_Hockey @ June 8, 2009 - 02:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was a Penguins fan I would be pissed also. Just to get up and leave the team to a team that just won the cup. They have all reasons to be pissed off at Hossa.
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#73 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (BowHuntingFool @ June 8, 2009 - 03:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but thats why BTP is here, to stir it up.

Yeah, that's why I started this whole thread in the first place... oh wait, I didn't.

But that won't stop all you from talking about how obsessed with the issue I am, I'm sure.
--Dan Cleary

#74 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

There is so much fail here. I wish you would have read the entire thread.

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 02:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put up one quote before from Hossa talking about how swell he thought playing for the Pens was, and how he'd just be tickled if he could get re-signed.

Your quote said he would love to find a great team and stick with them. no where did he mention that great team was the Pens.

Why then would you assume Pens' management knew he was going to leave?

Hossa stated a week and a half before free agency that he was going to test free agency. Shero knew.

He changed his mind at the last second, leaving the team to scramble with its free-agent plans.

Hossa stated a week and a half before free agency that he was going to test free agency. Shero knew.

And as for your "he only was speaking about the Oilers" -- nice try. Did he or did he not ALSO have an offer from the Pens? C'mon man.

Shero said himself that the offer on the table to Hossa wasn't set in stone because it was going to change with the other re-signings of their current players. So basically there was no offer from the Pens. There was an offer from Edmonton and Detroit, and he chose Detroit because he felt we were the better team.

If you want to debate any of this then please use links and evidence, because all I did was state facts, I will not debate things that are not facts but meerly the opinions of a bitter Pens fan. Sorry.

All my links are on page 2, read those articles before you debate any of this.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#75 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (HadThomasVokounOnFortSt @ June 8, 2009 - 03:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was a Penguins fan I would be pissed also. Just to get up and leave the team to a team that just won the cup. They have all reasons to be pissed off at Hossa.

Not really, Bertuzzi and Schnieder did the same thing to the Wings by signing with the Ducks in the offseason and I have no ill will towards them. With them gone it freed up space to sign better players and plan long term and I love when Schneider was here and I was a big fan of Big Bert as well. Next to Lidstrom, Schneider was the best PP D-Man we've had in quite some time. I was sad when he left but I didn't hold it against him that he signed with the team that eliminated us a month ago.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#76 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Konnan511 @ June 8, 2009 - 02:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really, Bertuzzi and Schnieder did the same thing to the Wings by signing with the Ducks in the offseason and I have no ill will towards them. With them gone it freed up space to sign better players and plan long term and I love when Schneider was here and I was a big fan of Big Bert as well. Next to Lidstrom, Schneider was the best PP D-Man we've had in quite some time. I was sad when he left but I didn't hold it against him that he signed with the team that eliminated us a month ago.

great post. totally agree. clap.gif
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#77 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (miller76 @ June 8, 2009 - 05:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great post. totally agree. clap.gif

Damn, I used my one good post quota for the week and we have a game tomorrow!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#78 scsplayer2

scsplayer2

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Ok, I've been reading threads for a while now on this board, but I never took the time to register. But I just had to register to post on this topic. Just so everyone knows I'm a die hard Red Wings fan and have been for a long time, and I think its time to put this to rest.

Check this link Penguins fans:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3455558

That is an article on JUNE 22, 2008! Hossa told Ray Shero he was going to test free agency. So saying he cost you guys anyone is ridiculous. He told you well before free agency started that he was possibly leaving. This is Shero's fault not Hossa's. If a player says i'm not sure i'll let you know after I get other offers, you have to know his heart isn't there. You have to move on. You had plenty of time to sign the guys that you had under contract that would be free agents, and you had time to determine who you wanted to go after on July 1st. So stop saying he cost you guys anyone.

Edited by scsplayer2, 08 June 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#79 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 8, 2009 - 03:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Translation: he plays for my team now, he can do no wrong.

Translation: your butt hurt which I don't have a problem with. My problem is your butt hurt on a Wings board. Give it a rest dude, post on a Pitt board where you're more apt to get a response your happy with.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#80 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

who cares if Hossa spurned the Pens?? on the same token, who cares if the Pens and their fans feel spurned?? Hossa made an adult decision and must live with the consequences <grin>