• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wheelchairwing

Freezing the foot...?

Rate this topic

Could someone please clue me in on what "freezing" is, referring to one reporter's question to Datsyuk concerning the "freezing" of his foot? What is the process that is involved? Are there any risks of long-term effects in regards to this procedure? Is there any Wikipedia page that can quickly sum this up for me? I would appreciate any responses that could help me out with this. Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I know what's wrong with Pavel.

However I've f***ed up my foot (and legs/knees/whathaveyou) a lot (broken, twisted, bumped, bruised, inflammed), and I know when that happens you're supposed to follow RICE, which means: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

And since the initial problem with Pavel not being able to skate was that (supposedly) his foot was too swollen to get in the skate, I'd guess they were wondering if he was icing his foot to keep the swelling down, which is what RICE is supposed to help.

The theory is simple. Cold keeps down swelling, so freezing his foot would help make it easier to play.

It was probably something as simple as a bucket of ice water, if they did ice it out. It won't help much, though- the R in RICE is Rest. Icing an injury then moving it won't help.

However I've f***ed up my foot (and legs/knees/whathaveyou) a lot (broken, twisted, bumped, bruised, inflammed), and I know when that happens you're supposed to follow RICE, which means: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

It's also the San Fransisco treat. Mmm...

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and am not qualified to give advice.

In non-hockey terms, freezing is the same as icing. It allows the area to be numbed so it is not as painful. Immediately after an injury, ice is applied to keep down the swelling, which is caused by a disruption of the oxygen flow to the area due to tearing of tissue.

During the healing process, it is pain control and may reduce further swelling to the area caused by further damage. In Pasha's case, if he is not fully healed, he will be aggravating his injury each time he plays. Ice will help lessen the aggravation, and will ease the pain.

In pro sports, I've heard of freezing used to mean giving a painkilling injection such as novocaine (which I can't seem to spell today). This also numbs the pain during the game, allowing a player to play with less hinderance.

I'm guessing that if Pavel is being "frozen" during the game, it is with an injection. If it is after practice, it is with ice.

In hockey terms, freezing a foot means applying ice to it or using an injection. Icing a foot means sending it down from one side of the red line to the other side of the ice. This can be very dangerous if said foot is not attached to its original player.

Freezing means getting a needle injection to numb out the pain...not sure if anyone remembers doug gilmour playing with a broken foot for the leafs back in the day come playoff time and he'd get a shot in the middle of periods!! These guys are machines!

So I trust my game six to pavel...u should too

I don't remember who it was, but I remember hearing stories of someone having to get shots in the groin to freeze it during the playoffs one year, and his teammates having to cover their ears to block out his screams.

That's dedication.

Not a medical doc exclaimer.

Pretty sure Cortisone can take care of the temporary injuries that require reduction in swelling as well as a pain killer.

You are correct. Both long- and short-term are available. My mother gets them in her knee.

I've also heard of players getting both cortisone and novocaine. I'd forgotten about cortisone.

Good input :thumbup:

Not a medical doc exclaimer.

Pretty sure Cortisone can take care of the temporary injuries that require reduction in swelling as well as a pain killer.

As I recall, there's a limit on the number of cortisone shots a body can handle. IIRC, Homer reached this limit last year with his hernia..

Could have been referring to the use of Procaine. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory and wouldn't be used. Procaine would numb the foot for a period of time so he wouldn't feel the pain. Procaine is a better choice to lidocaine. With ligament and tendon strains and sprains procaine is mixed with sterile water and 50% dextrose.... this therapy is referred to as prolotherapy...... and there are MANY different prolotherapy solutions and techniques. Prolotherapy is a wonderful technique to heal the sprain and strains quickly.... but few orthopedic docs use it because most are not familiar with it. Cortisone is a waist of time in the long run.... yes for acute inflammatory conditions it can reduce the inflammation... but in the long run the tendons and ligaments are weakened.... and most likely re-injury occurs.

IMHO we will find out that Datsyuk probably has a hairline fracture of one of his metatarsals.

Edited by Icesurfer

My old lacrosse coach told me how back in the day, he had a broken foot, and to make him able to play, they completely covered his foot, wrapping it as tightly as they could, then actually froze the wrap. I guess it made him able to fit in his shoe and completely numbed it.

I don't remember who it was, but I remember hearing stories of someone having to get shots in the groin to freeze it during the playoffs one year, and his teammates having to cover their ears to block out his screams.

That's dedication.

Gilchrest did that, IIRC.

Note also that cortisone will depress your immune system and repeated injections into the same tissue will cause a permanent weakening of said tissue. Hence the limitation on the number of injections you can receive.

Lol, in this case, it means Novacaine, or a similar drug...just like when a puck hits a player in the mouth, they "freeze" it, sew it up, and voila! Obviously freezing Pavel's foot solid would mean frostbite, and maybe even amputation...Cortizone is an anti-inflamatory, and usually is used when theres flare-ups in tendons and joints, so I doub this is the drug of choice considering the type of injury...

Edited by Pasha13

That's dedication.

It was Gilchrist.

EDIT: Hmmmm. Late again! :blink:<_<

Edited by Vladifan