• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mru22

In their Prime

Rate this topic

Who would you guys rather Have ?

Pavel or Sergei ?

Pavel is wearing my Lucky Number so its a tough call. :) I realize Fedorov is probably better hands down .

Edited by mru22

in there prime?

well i dont think pavel has reached his prime yet! so it not really a fair question but seing when pavel "could" go......................

i would pick pavel

If I could have Fedorov's best one or two seasons over and over again (for 6 years or so), I would pick him.... if not, Datsyuk takes over by consistently producing at a higher level on a year-to-year basis.

If I could have Fedorov's best one or two seasons over and over again (for 6 years or so), I would pick him.... if not, Datsyuk takes over by consistently producing at a higher level on a year-to-year basis.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If you take Feds at his absolute best he was unreal, I have rarely seen anyone play as well as he could both offensively and defensively. That being said I think Pav will maintain his high level of play for a longer amout of time giving him the edge in longevity. However, if you are talking about just one or two seasons, as much as I love Pav, I have to go with Fedorov.

Fedorov. By a WIDE margin. There is not a single player in the league right now who is anywhere NEAR an in-his-prime Fedorov. The stats also don't tell the whole story; remember that Fedorov was playing in the dead puck era against 20 trap teams, with the two-line pass. An in-his-prime Fedorov playing in today's NHL? 50-60 goals, 120-130 points a year and the Selke. It would be scary.

Fedorov. By a WIDE margin. There is not a single player in the league right now who is anywhere NEAR an in-his-prime Fedorov. The stats also don't tell the whole story; remember that Fedorov was playing in the dead puck era against 20 trap teams, with the two-line pass. An in-his-prime Fedorov playing in today's NHL? 50-60 goals, 120-130 points a year and the Selke. It would be scary.

Pretty bold statement considering Fedorov's regular season work ethic. He took too many nights off to achieve numbers like that on a consistent basis.

Which years were his prime?

1993-4 82gp 56g 64a 120pts

1994-5 Out half season too few games to use.

1995-6 78gp 39g 68a 107pts

1996-7 74gp 30g 33a 63pts

1997-8 Again too few games to use.

So you are saying 2 100 point trophy rich years are better than 4 years of 87,87,97,97, back to back Selke's?

You don't value consistency very much do you!

Edited by Opie

Well, Lidstrom. I still think he's far-and-away the best d-man in the league. Noone comes close to doing what he does. But then again, he's Norris Nick, the stuff of legends. Fedorov, on a good attitude day, in his prime, is probably one of the most talented + most physically gifted (for hockey) players of all time. Top 20, if not higher.

That said, I think Datsyuk is really really close in the talent department. Can you imagine Datsyuk with Fedorov's body? It's important to keep the significant size advantage in mind when comparing them. The other thing with Datsyuk is I think his vision is underrated, even though it's celebrated. Imo, he's got more than anyone in the league right now.. more than Crosby, more than Malkin, more than Jumbo Joe. The problem with Datsyuk is that he's almost TOO crafty.. I believe he thinks 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else on the ice, and that includes his own teammates (I remember Hossa making a comment about that and his wild unpredictability).

I think Datsyuk will age better than Fedorov, though, not just because of a better attitude, but because Fedorov relied more on his skating as a part of his style of play. He absolutely confounds people from a standstill, or a near standstill. As long as Dats keeps his stickhandling, a sharp mind and most of his reflexes, I expect him to age like Lidstrom (he has the same knack for avoiding injury).

You can't do wrong choosing between Dats or Feds but... if you want consistency and some magic in EACH AND EVERY shift then you go with Pavel. If you like dominant performance in each and every game of a SINGLE season, say next one, you would go with Feds edition of 94-95. Both are good, but I've never seen a player with the set of skills Dats has.

Edited by RusDRW

Well, Lidstrom. I still think he's far-and-away the best d-man in the league. Noone comes close to doing what he does. But then again, he's Norris Nick, the stuff of legends. Fedorov, on a good attitude day, in his prime, is probably one of the most talented + most physically gifted (for hockey) players of all time. Top 20, if not higher.

That said, I think Datsyuk is really really close in the talent department. Can you imagine Datsyuk with Fedorov's body? It's important to keep the significant size advantage in mind when comparing them. The other thing with Datsyuk is I think his vision is underrated, even though it's celebrated. Imo, he's got more than anyone in the league right now.. more than Crosby, more than Malkin, more than Jumbo Joe. The problem with Datsyuk is that he's almost TOO crafty.. I believe he thinks 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else on the ice, and that includes his own teammates (I remember Hossa making a comment about that and his wild unpredictability).

I think Datsyuk will age better than Fedorov, though, not just because of a better attitude, but because Fedorov relied more on his skating as a part of his style of play. He absolutely confounds people from a standstill, or a near standstill. As long as Dats keeps his stickhandling, a sharp mind and most of his reflexes, I expect him to age like Lidstrom (he has the same knack for avoiding injury).

The question was who would you take in their primes. Fedorov's strength was part of what made him such a dominant player; players could hit him and they would bounce off. He was unbelievably strong on the puck. You can't say "Well give Dats Fedorov's body." unless you want to say "Give Fedorov whatever disadvantage he has in the comparison."

And Fedorov still does confound people with his skating and puckhandling, although he has lost a step in terms of speed. You probably didn't watch many of Washington's games in the playoffs, but he was arguably their best player many nights and looked ten years younger.

The question was who would you take in their primes. Fedorov's strength was part of what made him such a dominant player; players could hit him and they would bounce off. He was unbelievably strong on the puck. You can't say "Well give Dats Fedorov's body." unless you want to say "Give Fedorov whatever disadvantage he has in the comparison."

And Fedorov still does confound people with his skating and puckhandling, although he has lost a step in terms of speed. You probably didn't watch many of Washington's games in the playoffs, but he was arguably their best player many nights and looked ten years younger.

I watched every game of the playoffs that didn't have a conflicting schedule with another game (having to pick and choose sucks, too). That said, Feds still looked pretty good, though he's definitely lost a step. Saw a lot of him during the regular season, too. Hockey accounts for most of my TV time.

As far as prime goes, as I said, I think that Dats is actually really close talent-wise.. but Feds also had the perfect body and physicality for hockey to go with it, and his prime was absolutely nuts.

So Fedorov in this years playoffs looked like Fedorov in his prime? Please...

I watched almost all of them and he didn not look like he was in his late twenties. It's obvious that you like Fedorov (a lot!) but now you're just warping reality. So, by your logic, Fedorov was the best player in the playoffs, hands down. You've made it clear that Fedorov in his prime was the greatest. Even eluded to how he would be absolutely dominant in this era of hockey. THAT GUY played this year for Washington!?! Hahaha! Ok.

After watching Fedorov with the Caps in the playoffs the past two years, I still find it hard to believe he will go the KHL -- the guy still has it, especially in the playoffs.

Guest micah

Fedorov.

Like the other's have said, there is no player in the league today better than a prime Fedorov.

It's a shame he couldn't or chose not to keep it up. I like to think it was a choice, that he knows that hockey just doesn't matter that much, and maybe to him trophies and such don't justify the effort. I can see that line of thinking - when you're easily the best, you might take less pride in outpacing the also-rans.

You know, one thing worth considering here is that a solid work ethic and consistency are part of Datsyuk's play, and.. it's not part of Fedorov's. Assuming for purposes of discussion that Fedorov's attitude is going to be good is unfair to Pavel, because it negates one of his advantages.

So, in a revision to my point of view, I think Fedorov is the better play overall, in his prime, while on his game... but I'd take Datsyuk.

Beauty of this question is we don't have to choose. We got them both during their prime even if Datsyuk isn't there yet.

If I must choose only one, Federov in his prime during this current period of hockey with little clutch and grab and no 2 line pass would be amazing to watch.

Well, the OP said in their prime, which is Fedorov and there is no justification otherwise. A five goal game, Hart trophey many other trophies during his prime, this guy was just plain sick in his prime.

Which years were his prime?

1993-4 82gp 56g 64a 120pts

1994-5 Out half season too few games to use.

1995-6 78gp 39g 68a 107pts

1996-7 74gp 30g 33a 63pts

1997-8 Again too few games to use.

So you are saying 2 100 point trophy rich years are better than 4 years of 87,87,97,97, back to back Selke's?

You don't value consistency very much do you!

agreed. i'd take dats. goalies are also alot better today as a whole than they were 10-15 years ago. what would have been nice though is to have pavel and sergei....hmm...

what's next though, people are gonna compare Hank and Yzerman cuz they are in many ways similar? cuz i'd take both of them too. kinda like vintage draper and helm... you could even make comparisons of larionov and flip. huds and mini me...

great teams always make great comparisons. f*** we're lucky!