• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

And the Conn Smythe goes to...

Rate this topic

How sickening would that be, if the Wings win in 6 or 7 and the Conn Smythe was awarded to Crosby?

I am actually thrilled to see Malkin nicely ahead in points, because there is no way they would give it to Malkin over Osgood or Zetterberg... if it was Crosby leading in points, however....

Edited by egroen

how funny is that 3 of the top 6 threads on this forum are dedicated to whining about crosby.... all the while you are one game away from winning two in a row! priceless. other cities actually obsess over him more than we do and he plays for US. :-)

good luck tomorrow night..... hope to make it back to detroit for game 7

how funny is that 3 of the top 6 threads on this forum are dedicated to whining about crosby.... all the while you are one game away from winning two in a row! priceless. other cities actually obsess over him more than we do and he plays for US. :-)

It was a legitimate concern at the start of this Series, that if Detroit won Crosby would get the Smythe (obviously a distant, distant runner-up prize... but still, I would rather a Wings player get it). I do believe Malkin being ahead of Crosby literally ensures the Smythe goes to Detroit if they win.

Crosby isn't even in the ballpark. Wonder how many times he is going to utterly fail at that stupid spin-o-rama move before he gives it up...

But it worked once for Brian Campbell! ... who can't seem to give it up either.

It was a legitimate concern at the start of this Series, that if Detroit won Crosby would get the Smythe (obviously a distant, distant runner-up prize... but still, I would rather a Wings player get it). I do believe Malkin being ahead of Crosby literally ensures the Smythe goes to Detroit if they win.

peope were "legitimately concerned" that crosby might win the smythe???

i think what would be hilarious is if the pens win the next two games (tall order to be sure), crosby scores 5 goals and has 3 assists in the two games..... wins the smythe.......and hoards of psychologists have to pour into detroit to administer therapy and talk people down from buildings.

I can just about promise you that Crosby isn't going to win Conn Smyth this year. While he has been a solid pillar for his team through the first three series, Crosby has been effectively neutralized against the Wings. 3 points (two of which were during Detroit's second period collapse, the third point was a secondary assist on a power play) and a -2 in the Finals is anything but Conn Smyth material. Malkin, however, is a different story, although only for offensive reasons. His 35 points this postseason is the most since I think 1992 (could be wrong), and contributes to about 50% of the Penguins' goals this year. That alone is worth at least a consideration for the Conn Smythe, even if the Pens don't win the cup, however, what holds him back is his defensive play. Despite leading the league considerably in points, he is only a +2, which leaves much to be desired.

If the Wings were to win the Cup, I would have to give the Conn Smythe to Osgood. If the Pens win the Cup, I would give it to Malkin.

I can just about promise you that Crosby isn't going to win Conn Smyth this year. While he has been a solid pillar for his team through the first three series, Crosby has been effectively neutralized against the Wings. 3 points (two of which were during Detroit's second period collapse, the third point was a secondary assist on a power play) and a -2 in the Finals is anything but Conn Smyth material. Malkin, however, is a different story, although only for offensive reasons. His 35 points this postseason is the most since I think 1992 (could be wrong), and contributes to about 50% of the Penguins' goals this year. That alone is worth at least a consideration for the Conn Smythe, even if the Pens don't win the cup, however, what holds him back is his defensive play. Despite leading the league considerably in points, he is only a +2, which leaves much to be desired.

If the Wings were to win the Cup, I would have to give the Conn Smythe to Osgood. If the Pens win the Cup, I would give it to Malkin.

+ 1

here's the thing about crosby.

I posted this in another thread as well

my wife, who was my fiance at the time had never watched hockey a day in her life before she met me. She had no bias towards any team or any player. So imagine my shock as we watched last year's series when she interupts NBC's non stop Crosby is the bestest ever banter with "who is this crosby guy and why is he the only guy they're talking about? Your team is winning right? Why arn't they talking about any of your guys?"

If someone who's never seen a hockey game in her life can pick that up, there's a least some merit to the fact that his name gets shoved down everyone's collective throats. Now i will say hatred of him is slightly fanatical on here and elsewhere, but so is defending him.

As for this year, i'll again point out,....My fiance has only really watched the hurricanes (we live in raleigh) since last years finals and again this year the question was

"Crosby,.....man,...again?" "That guys not even really doing anything,......"

obviously its going to come down to hank and ozzie for us....

but for some reason i have a sick feeling in my stomach that malkin will walk away mvp....

i hope its just that mexican food i had yesterday though..

Edited by toledojames

here's the thing about crosby.

I posted this in another thread as well

my wife, who was my fiance at the time had never watched hockey a day in her life before she met me. She had no bias towards any team or any player. So imagine my shock as we watched last year's series when she interupts NBC's non stop Crosby is the bestest ever banter with "who is this crosby guy and why is he the only guy they're talking about? Your team is winning right? Why arn't they talking about any of your guys?"

If someone who's never seen a hockey game in her life can pick that up, there's a least some merit to the fact that his name gets shoved down everyone's collective throats. Now i will say hatred of him is slightly fanatical on here and elsewhere, but so is defending him.

As for this year, i'll again point out,....My fiance has only really watched the hurricanes (we live in raleigh) since last years finals and again this year the question was

"Crosby,.....man,...again?" "That guys not even really doing anything,......"

Cool wife :thumbup:

At this point, with Crosby's performance so far in the finals, it would be a very long stretch for him to get it either way it goes. He would have to put up a show like no other if he's even to be considered. Most likely Malkin or Z/Ozzy.

Honestly? I never thought about it once. That, to me, is gravy.

Give it to the best player in the playoffs... You know that one guy that shuts down every teams best player day in day out. UHHMM. Nick Lidstrom

Honestly? I never thought about it once. That, to me, is gravy.

Oh, I certainly think about it - a Conn Smythe could literally be the icing to get Chris Osgood into the Hall of Fame.

And back-to-back Conn Smythes for Zetterberg would be only the third time it has happened - the last being Lemiuex in 91 and 92.

You want to see obsessing over talk to NBC, McGuire, Bettman, TV announcers and every employee of the NHL that is Lorded over by Bettman. We're just forced to listen the this when it's clear to everyone outside of Pittsburgh's brainless majority that Malkin is the better player on the Pens. More guts, resolve and will to win.

Crosby's just got a prettier mouth (at least according to Bettman)

You want to see obsessing over talk to NBC, McGuire, Bettman, TV announcers and every employee of the NHL that is Lorded over by Bettman. We're just forced to listen the this when it's clear to everyone outside of Pittsburgh's brainless majority that Malkin is the better player on the Pens. More guts, resolve and will to win.

Crosby's just got a prettier mouth (at least according to Bettman)

going to go out on a limb here and guess you are on summer vacation :-)

good luck tomorrow night

Edited by reggiedunlop

Give it to the best player in the playoffs... You know that one guy that shuts down every teams best player day in day out. UHHMM. Nick Lidstrom

An honest look at the finals to this point:

(Not saying anything about the night Z didn't shadow Crosby, which is worth mentioning.)

Malkin -- 2 goals and 5 assists

Zetterberg -- 2 goals 4 assists

Crosby -- 1 goal 2 assists

Crosby does not deserve any mention, has not delivered when it matter the most. Malkin may deserve a mention, as he has contributed in 7 of 10 of Penguins goals ( seven of nine if you don't count the empty netter). But, then there is Zetterberg who is only one assist behind Malkin (albeit he has only contributed in 7 of 15 Detroit goals) and deserves to take a fair amount of credit for shutting down Crosby in at least four games. Malkin and Crosby are definitely smart players who are actually under-rated for their defensive play (IMO) but haven't shut down Zetterberg (so who are they shutting down?). So, look at the plus minus ratings of the players, compare where they were at the start of the series and now, and you'll get an idea off who the two way players are.

My second point is actually about the way the award is awarded. There seems to be a general bias towards numbers over moments, and later rounds over early rounds.

Zetterberg's numbers are definitely comparable to last years. He had 27 points in 22 games and now has 24 points in 21 games.

Ozzie has a .927 S% and 2.10 GA overal and 2.0 in this series.

The only question in my mind is who has been important; Ozzie stopping a helluva allotta shots (despite fantastic play in front of him) or Zetterberg shutting down the single best opposing player series after series. If Crosby is really seen as being as good as people write it, you got to give it to Zetterberg, but if Crosby is over-rated, Ozzie deserves it....

All that being said, aren't we a bit ahead of ourselves?

Guys...just in case...keep a trash can by the couch with you, because you may be vomiting...they've been talking all week long on NHL Home Ice radio about how the Conn Smythe WILL go to Malkin no matter who wins...and...I dunno whether or not I'll be surprised...

Disgusted? Yes. Surprised... ...?

Edited by Pasha13

peope were "legitimately concerned" that crosby might win the smythe???

i think what would be hilarious is if the pens win the next two games (tall order to be sure), crosby scores 5 goals and has 3 assists in the two games..... wins the smythe.......and hoards of psychologists have to pour into detroit to administer therapy and talk people down from buildings.

Dude, get the f*** off our boards if you're going to say s*** like that. Every post I see you're bashing us or the city in some way or making smart remarks. To even hint that we'd be killing ourselves after the pens beat us is laughable and you sir, should shove the steel cock back in your ass and walk into oncomming traffic. I think it's pretty funny that pit fans think their team is world class when you have 2 players worth a damn and one of them cries more than the 5 year old that crosby ass raped.