• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

When Pavel Met Evgeni--The turning point of the series

Rate this topic

Datsyuk's hit on Malkin was the turning point of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

By DAVID STAPLES 06-07-2009

Though they won only two of them, the Pittsburgh Penguins looked to be the clearly superior team over the first four games of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

Then Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings, the league's rightful most valuable player, got in the game.

The moment when the series shifted, when Detroit established itself as the team that would almost certainly win the Cup, came at 8:11 of the first period, Game Five, when the Russian star of the Red Wings cranked the Russian star of the Penguins, knocking him over and knocking Pittsburgh off its high horse.

Read the rest:

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...by-respond.aspx

Decent article - though I gotta be honest, the Penguins did not come close to outplaying Detroit in games 1 and 2 - especially if you consider Osgood's play as part of the "team". Detriot controlled the puck more and was in front of Pittsburgh's crease a lot more. Some of Detroit's goals may have been "lucky", but they were created from bouts of extended pressure placed on Fleury (which Osgood rarely faced those games).

Game 3 was the closest this series, and the only one I could see going either eay.

Edited by egroen

Pav is the man. He got hack and slashed all game long but did he commit any frustration penalties? Nope.

Pav has all the skill of Malkin and more, plus he has sportsmanship. The only thing Pav is missing is the ability to fluently speak English.

If Malkin was smart, he would've acted like he'd been shot, like Franzen did Saturday Night. Seriously, I haven't seen a dive like that since Greg Louganis. Great job of selling it, Johan!

yeah because all pens players are the essence of class.

i wonder if pavs will get hacked again on his foot.

stay classy pen players and fans.

btw you already have a player that tried to sell the "sniper shot" ..see crosby

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

If Malkin was smart, he would've acted like he'd been shot, like Franzen did Saturday Night. Seriously, I haven't seen a dive like that since Greg Louganis. Great job of selling it, Johan!

Pav is the man. He got hack and slashed all game long but did he commit any frustration penalties? Nope.

Pav has all the skill of Malkin and more, plus he has sportsmanship. The only thing Pav is missing is the ability to fluently speak English.

Dude, I love that Pavel doesn't speak English well. It makes his one-liners that much funnier.

Kind of like how I adore Homer's Svenglish. :lol:

I don't see that Pittsburg was clearly the superior team in the first 4 games. I'm getting tired of hearing that. It seems like if detroit doesn't dominate their opponents they are playing poorly.

he embellished but at the same time it was blatant and probably hurt like a *****

I don't see that Pittsburg was clearly the superior team in the first 4 games. I'm getting tired of hearing that. It seems like if detroit doesn't dominate their opponents they are playing poorly.

They were the superior team in game 4. Every other game was pretty much a wash.

If you were smart, maybe you would've posted this drivel on your Pens board. And maybe if you watched the game, you would've seen Crosbys dive, monumentally more epic and theatric. Please see a couple posts above.

you are such a tool lol

If you were smart, maybe you would've posted this drivel on your Pens board. And maybe if you watched the game, you would've seen Crosbys dive, monumentally more epic and theatric. Please see a couple posts above.

Aw c'mon, Crosby's young, he needs to learn from the master himself. Really, nothing comes close to Franzen's "oh I've been shot!" motion, along with the wounded-deer look he shot the ref. Forget those squids, you oughta be tossing roses onto the ice for an Academy-Award performance like that. Bravo, Johan, bravo!

It is gems like these that make just about everyone on here hate you.

Also which is why people think you are trolling.

Drivel. He lost me at "the Pittsburgh Penguins looked to be the clearly superior team over the first four games of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals."

There really isn't a turning point yet as the series isn't over and both teams have held serve.

esteef

Aw c'mon, Crosby's young, he needs to learn from the master himself. Really, nothing comes close to Franzen's "oh I've been shot!" motion, along with the wounded-deer look he shot the ref. Forget those squids, you oughta be tossing roses onto the ice for an Academy-Award performance like that. Bravo, Johan, bravo!

Not to say that Franzen didn't embellish...but have you ever been elbowed in the ear...while said elbow is covered in hard plastic? Getting hit in the ear...it ******* HURTS.

I was at the game Saturday and in the first period I watched as there was a scrum in front of Ozzie and the stick blades for both players were tied up in a cross checking kind of way. Crosby comes skating across from the faceoff circle, grabs onto a stick and touches it to his visor, and tries to look like he got high sticked. He did it all himself and the ref just shook his head NO. Nice try though.

I love the delayed reaction to this epic BC two-hander Malts laid on him that almost severed his leg.

Tap.

Oh, I've been hit.

FALL DOWN! Look at Ref.

Get up slowly....now hobble to bench. Slower.....come on, sell it....Damn. Still not buying it.

What? I'm up again? Ok, no, I'm fine.