• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

I'm babysitting my one and a half year old second cousin. My cousin (his mom) gave me a booklet that lists his nap times and such. Since it's about 10 AM, I put him down for his first nap. I know crying is normal for babies when they're put down, but how long is too long? I feel like he's been crying for a good 20 minutes and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, if anything.

Any help would be great.
QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 19, 2009 - 01:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A new Lemieux-McCarty fight, as seen by internet forum posters.

Lemieux cheapshots a player with his walker, drawing the ire of D-Mac, who hobbles over. They draw their canes, salute, and cross them, then proceed to repeatedly whack eachother over the heads while hanging onto the bench with their other hands for balance. D-Mac then hits Lemieux's hip, which gives out, Lemieux feebly falls to the ground, crumpling as D-Mac continues to land barely noticeable Yoda-esque cane strikes. Lemieux's age begins catching up to him, crying "what a world, what a world..!" as he melts into a puddle of goo.

#2 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

I always used a diminishing return, so to speak --

First time, pick up and hold, comfort, but firmly state it is time to sleep.
5-10 minutes later, then 10 minutes after that, and so on -- come into the room, let them know you are still there, but do not pick up, and simply gently state it is time to sleep.

Yeah, it could last an hour.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#3 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (egroen @ June 8, 2009 - 10:06AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always used a diminishing return, so to speak --

First time, pick up and hold, comfort, but firmly state it is time to sleep.
5-10 minutes later, then 10 minutes after that, and so on -- come into the room, let them know you are still there, but do not pick up, and simply gently state it is time to sleep.

Yeah, it could last an hour.

Alright, I just went and picked him up and calmed him down. I'll wait ten minutes and go back and see what he does.

Thanks for the advice. If anything, this is teaching me that I'm nowhere near ready for kids.

Lemieux cheapshots a player with his walker, drawing the ire of D-Mac, who hobbles over. They draw their canes, salute, and cross them, then proceed to repeatedly whack eachother over the heads while hanging onto the bench with their other hands for balance. D-Mac then hits Lemieux's hip, which gives out, Lemieux feebly falls to the ground, crumpling as D-Mac continues to land barely noticeable Yoda-esque cane strikes. Lemieux's age begins catching up to him, crying "what a world, what a world..!" as he melts into a puddle of goo.

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

bendrill

#5 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

So I got him to sleep... for 20 minutes. Now he's up again. dry.gif

#6 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

It could just be that he's in a strange house. Does he often go somewhere for sitting? Although it may be tough, you might just have to try to put him down in a little while and see if that works, otherwise one day without a proper nap won't hurt him.

Good luck to you, I love when they're that little. they're so curious about everything and learning so much. And they're still so adorable without all that talking back and sass you get as they get older.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#7 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Ms_Hockey @ June 8, 2009 - 10:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I got him to sleep... for 20 minutes. Now he's up again. dry.gif

Good enough!

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#8 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (WizardOfOz30 @ June 8, 2009 - 10:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It could just be that he's in a strange house. Does he often go somewhere for sitting? Although it may be tough, you might just have to try to put him down in a little while and see if that works, otherwise one day without a proper nap won't hurt him.

Good luck to you, I love when they're that little. they're so curious about everything and learning so much. And they're still so adorable without all that talking back and sass you get as they get older.

I've watched him at my house before though, admittedly, not a whole lot. He's normally at my other cousin's house but she just had surgery on her leg so I'm taking over for the week.

He's definitely curious. Constantly pressing the buttons to turn the tv on and off and giggling because he knows it's getting in the way of my hockey updates. tongue.gif

#9 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

I just put him down for nap #2. I feel like my heart is being torn to shreds as he sits in his crib and cries.

#10 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Ms_Hockey @ June 8, 2009 - 01:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just put him down for nap #2. I feel like my heart is being torn to shreds as he sits in his crib and cries.

sad.gif

I hope he finally fell asleep for you. I'm sure it'll get easier as the week goes on.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#11 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

he will eventually get tired of crying and cry himself to sleep, just check on him every now and again and your golden. Also try warming his bottle and drop that in with him, usually does the trick
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#12 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Really did enjoy my OB and Pediatric rotations... Kids are great!
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#13 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (redwingfan19 @ June 8, 2009 - 04:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he will eventually get tired of crying and cry himself to sleep, just check on him every now and again and your golden. Also try warming his bottle and drop that in with him, usually does the trick

I just tried that and it worked like a charm. He was out in a matter of minutes. Thanks!

#14 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ June 8, 2009 - 04:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really did enjoy my OB and Pediatric rotations... Kids are great!

I love kids. I just wish I knew what he wanted. He talks CONSTANTLY. Problem is.. everything he says makes no sense. tongue.gif

#15 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

I got myself a crash course with a colic baby over a four month period. I have always found that when the baby is crying, and you know he/she is fed, and you know that it is nap time. I will go change their diaper, clean or not. Some babies can't tolerate the thought of being dirty. I will also hold the baby, and step outside for a minute or two. Fresh air, and any change can create a chance for the baby to calm down.

I know it seems they reach this point of no return when they are upset, but a slight change has worked numerous times for me.

Edited by miller76, 08 June 2009 - 05:56 PM.

lighten up people, it's the internet!

#16 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (miller76 @ June 8, 2009 - 06:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got myself a crash course with a colic baby over a four month period. I have always found that when the baby is crying, and you know he/she is fed, and you know that it is nap time. I will go change their diaper, clean or not. Some babies can't tolerate the thought of being dirty. I will also hold the baby, and step outside for a minute or two. Fresh air, and any change can create a chance for the baby to calm down.

I know it seems they reach this point of no return when they are upset, but a slight change has worked numerous times for me.

Exactly...

Infants I took care of in the nursery @ St. Johns or the little ones in the NICU really settled down when their diaper was changed or they were suctioned periodically (they were on ventilators)... Watching their HR (heart rate) decrease and SO2 (pulse ox) increase was a great indication of them relaxing...

Edited by Rivalred, 09 June 2009 - 12:16 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#17 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

Sorry about your troubles with getting a little one to go to sleep.
(f***! I ALMOST made it through that without laughing right at you! Close. Very close.)

Anyways.....as a father of 2.....one 9 yr old boy....anda 3 yr old girl.....I want to thank you.

Thank you.

Um. Good luck. Um. Hmmmmm.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users