• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MississippiWing

Words that need to be banned from Hockey Vocabulary

Rate this topic

Anyone else really annoyed when Pierre McGuire BREATHES? adds a "Y" to just about every players name?

"Matty Cook"

"Danny Cleary"

"Billy Guerin"

Anyone else really annoyed when Pierre McGuire adds a "Y" to just about every players name?

"Matty Cook"

"Danny Cleary"

"Billy Guerin"

i actually don't mind it cuz i hear stuff like that all the time. it seems like every team i'm on does that to just about every player. i don't even have a good name for it and somehow they come up with something. Mitch Macleod = Cloudy???? how does it happen haha

i actually don't mind it cuz i hear stuff like that all the time. it seems like every team i'm on does that to just about every player. i don't even have a good name for it and somehow they come up with something. Mitch Macleod = Cloudy???? how does it happen haha

Yeah, adding a "Y" to the end of someone's name is standard practice in environments where a bunch of guys are working closely. Pierre can be annoying but he doesn't own the "Y".

I'd just like him to make a comment for once without stating it in the form of a question to Olczyk.

Yeah, adding a "Y" to the end of someone's name is standard practice in environments where a bunch of guys are working closely. Pierre can be annoying but he doesn't own the "Y".

I'd just like him to make a comment for once without stating it in the form of a question to Olczyk.

Yzerman owns the "Y" and the "C" for that matter

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

someone on facebook whom i don't really know that well but seems to be a diehard wings fan actually typed "lindstrom" the other day...seriously!!!! WTF!!! it annoys me when people can't spell filppula, but he hasn't been around that long and it's a weird name. but for f***'s sake, this guys been our captain for how many seasons now, and has been one of the best d-men in the league for a really long time...and has been a wing his entire career! there is NO REASON for ANYONE to think that his name is spelled or pronounced "lindstrom."

Some morons can't correctly say words like milk or wash. Good luck.

Waffleboarded away. (although I find it funny :P). This isn't breakfast.

Knifed out of the zone. Hockey isn't a gang fight over turf!

9-ironed out of there. I used to play golf. I rarely hit that many bad 9-irons. A 9-iron is one of the easier clubs to hit and get high in the air in golf. Hockey isn't golf. And when 9-ironed term is used, it's used to say it's more/less flubbed out of the zone or gotten out of their in an ugly fashion. Logic people, logic! :D

i think these are fair descriptive words, i think they are a necessity. its just hockey talk.

And i think if a lot of these words were eliminated the broadcast just wouldn't be as fun. i mean i personally dislike the word parafanlia (spelling?). but if doc stops sayin that word he'll just come up with something else that bothers me. i don't mind the words so much as the anti-wings and pro-pens speech.

You beat me to it. I hate when Doc talks about goalie paraphernalia. However looking up the definition it is synonymous with equipment. I would just prefer he said equipment though.

"Scratch my back with a hacksaw" and" Buy Sam a drink and his dog one two" and "that takes the heat out of a hot kitchen"

were mainstays of the Pens run in the 90's.

I'd vote to keep them.

Okay, I can respect those, as they have the same charm of the Mickey Redmondisms we all hear. Still hate his current bits though, along with his voice where he practically seems to get...well, for lack of a better description, old-man orgasmic in the booth. It's just creepy.

One thing that would make me happy is if all Red Wings fans knew how to say "Lidstrom". I cannot stand when people pronounce his name "Lindstrom". If he were a minor league prospect, it would still bother me. But he's on the ice half the game and the announcers say his name 50 ***** times a game. Some of the most die-hard fans still say his name "Lindstrom", and it drives me insane. Nick LIDstrom. Say it with me. The LID goes on top of the can. The LID is used to keep the vegetables fresh. The LIND does not exist. Now say "Strom" like strumming a guitar. "Strom" "Strom" Strom". "LID" now "Strom" "LIDstrom". Lidstrom

In the same vein...there is no KURT Maltby on the Wings.

There is, however, a pest by the name of KIRK Maltby. :P

In the same vein...there is no KURT Maltby on the Wings.

There is, however, a pest by the name of KIRK Maltby. :P

I remember watching a game, maybe the Winter Classic, with Dave Strader and Ed Olczyk. Edzo kept saying "Spades", for like the whole first period. Then in the second one could clearly hear him saying "Strades". They've both been in the business for a while and they've both been at VS for a while, strange that he'd have no clue.

One thing that would make me happy is if all Red Wings fans knew how to say "Lidstrom". I cannot stand when people pronounce his name "Lindstrom". If he were a minor league prospect, it would still bother me. But he's on the ice half the game and the announcers say his name 50 ***** times a game. Some of the most die-hard fans still say his name "Lindstrom", and it drives me insane. Nick LIDstrom. Say it with me. The LID goes on top of the can. The LID is used to keep the vegetables fresh. The LIND does not exist. Now say "Strom" like strumming a guitar. "Strom" "Strom" Strom". "LID" now "Strom" "LIDstrom". Lidstrom

Dan Bylsma said "Lindstrom" in one of his post-game pressers earlier in the series :/

Crispy and Weber from the Nashville broadcasts

"He's building a wall" used to describe a player coming in on net while holding off a defenseman.

Tried to find a youtube of it, but didn't feel like watching 500 clips.

Anyone else really annoyed when Pierre McGuire adds a "Y" to just about every players name?

"Matty Cook"

"Danny Cleary"

"Billy Guerin"

But thats the NHL way.

They even cut their names short and then add a y, or an er depending.

I went to Matt Butcher's Chiliwack Chiefs game a few years back and was sitting with his dad Garth (alumni of Vancouver Canucks, Blues, Leafs, and Nordiques I think) and I said "wow, the Chiefs got a big Dman named Blackmon from Texas of all places?" He says, "oh yeah, Blacky,,, he's a good kid".

Thats Canadian and its hockey.

As I live 20 minutes south of the Canadian border, I watch the gmaes on CBC. Game 5 was my first NBC game. Had to chuckle at the little non fan helper when the onscreen score board said "Detroit Power Play", and then had a momentary drop down underneath "Pittsburgh" that read "penalty".