• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mjlegend

How long has this playoff run been?

Rate this topic

Emotionally it feels like it's lasted about six months. Not that I'm complaining... I'll take this over 2003. ***'s just that the anticipation of each game is all-consuming.

I looked yesterday at a picture of the reaction of Abdelkader after his game 1 goal this series, and it felt like I saw that goal a month ago.

It reminds me of last year when I saw Mark Hartigan on the ice for the Cup celebrations and went, "Oh, yeah. He played in the first round." Time freaking flies.

Emotionally it feels like it's lasted about six months. Not that I'm complaining... I'll take this over 2003. ***'s just that the anticipation of each game is all-consuming.

I looked yesterday at a picture of the reaction of Abdelkader after his game 1 goal this series, and it felt like I saw that goal a month ago.

It reminds me of last year when I saw Mark Hartigan on the ice for the Cup celebrations and went, "Oh, yeah. He played in the first round." Time freaking flies.

Heh. You said "***'s."

I was just watching the highlights at NHL.com from the Columbus series last night. Now those seem like forever ago. Back when everyone questioned whether Ozzie and the rest of the Wings had that switch. I remember Ken and Mick even mentioning that. Then we have Melrose saying Detroit plays it's best hockey in the post-season which blows my mind considering how much that has changed over the last few years. Yep, it's been a long grind, and I'm just watching the games!

The Columbus series definitely feels distant, but I think in terms of skill, they were a league below Chicago, Anaheim, and Pittsburgh. Looking back it almost seems like the preplayoffs, which definitely only accentuates the perception of longevity in this postseason.

Yah, the NHL should shorten the playoffs. It shouldn't be about who can stay healthy the longest, and that's what seems to be a huge factor every playoffs. Do it like the NFL.

Rd. 1, Best of 3

Sharks- bye

Wings - bye

Vancouver vs. St. Louis

Chicago vs. Calgary

Rd. 2, Best of 5

Sharks vs. Chicago

Wings vs. Vancouver

Rd. 3, Best of 7

Wings vs. Chicago

Rd. 4, Best of 7

Wings vs. Penguins

Yah, the NHL should shorten the playoffs. It shouldn't be about who can stay healthy the longest, and that's what seems to be a huge factor every playoffs. Do it like the NFL.

Rd. 1, Best of 3

Sharks- bye

Wings - bye

Vancouver vs. St. Louis

Chicago vs. Calgary

Rd. 2, Best of 5

Sharks vs. Chicago

Wings vs. Vancouver

Rd. 3, Best of 7

Wings vs. Chicago

Rd. 4, Best of 7

Wings vs. Penguins

No. Bad idea.

The Columbus series definitely feels distant, but I think in terms of skill, they were a league below Chicago, Anaheim, and Pittsburgh. Looking back it almost seems like the preplayoffs, which definitely only accentuates the perception of longevity in this postseason.

I almost forgot we even played Columbus. Why can't every playoff series be like that?

That series seems like it was ages ago and went by in a flash.

Rd. 1, Best of 3

Sharks- bye

Wings - bye

Vancouver vs. St. Louis

Chicago vs. Calgary

Rd. 2, Best of 5

Sharks vs. Chicago

Wings vs. Vancouver

Rd. 3, Best of 7

Wings vs. Chicago

Rd. 4, Best of 7

Wings vs. Penguins

Sorry Jake, but I dislike this idea. The way it is setup now is one of the many things that makes this trophy so special. It is what makes it the most difficult trophy in all of sports to win. Why would you want to change that?

No. Bad idea.

Its a good idea. i've thought about it my self from time to time.

Top 4 seeds from each conference, break it down to 3 division leaders and a wild card ( like baseball )

you now have 1/4 of the teams playing for playoff spot instead of Half the league.

It would make for MUCH better regular season hockey as each game would mean more.

Plus hockey should NOT RUN INTO JUNE.. its a cold weather sport, and the warm days effect the ice negatively.

Top 4 seeds from each conference, break it down to 3 division leaders and a wild card ( like baseball )

you now have 1/4 of the teams playing for playoff spot instead of Half the league.

It would make for MUCH better regular season hockey as each game would mean more.

Plus hockey should NOT RUN INTO JUNE.. its a cold weather sport, and the warm days effect the ice negatively.

Recent deep playoff runs from teams like Anaheim (7 & 8 seeds), Edmonton (8 seed), and Calgary (6 seed) is why the playoffs wont change to 8 playoff teams instead of 16. If it was set-up the way you described it, we may have seen a couple more cups for Detroit, which would be great for us, but bad for hockey.

Not to de-rail my own rambling thread here, but I've never really seen why a #8 team making it to the finals is a good thing for hockey. If anything else, it highlights the games (particularly in the year the Ducks lost to the Devils) are called differently than the regular season, making who wins the conference ostensibly a moot point. "See?", the NHL says. "Just coast to playoff contention, win your last couple of games in the regular season and it's all good." The only difference between first and eighth in the conference in the first round is one piddly home game out of seven.

The NFL never really struggles at the gate or in the TV contract because of the dominance of a few teams. The NBA has only a half dozen or so teams that can compete every night and the number of AL East pennants in the last 15 years show a wide disparity between two particular teams and the other three. Tiger Woods won more majors than anybody in the last 10 years and PGA ratings are never higher than when he's in a tournament. I know people who HATE the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Patriots, the Lakers, the Tiger Woods', but you know what? They talk about them. And they care. And they watch.

I'm not saying this to you, Dano33, but if the NHL and some NHL fans don't think that having an alpha dog in the league is a good thing, they're simply not paying attention to what is going on around them.

It's perfect the way it is. How much fun has this journey, and last year's too, been? Besides, the longer a series is, the better chance that the best team wins. It would be so much easier for a hot goaltender to steal a best of 5 than a best of 7. No changes to the format.....not now......not ever.

although I usually don't pay them a lot of mind, the guys on PTI brought this up one night about how long the playoffs were taken. Also mentioned that the SCF were over by this time last year

did they talk about how long the NBA playoffs run? Of course not. Those guys don't like hockey, so they want to see less of it. I happen to want to see more of it.

It's perfect the way it is. How much fun has this journey, and last year's too, been? Besides, the longer a series is, the better chance that the best team wins. It would be so much easier for a hot goaltender to steal a best of 5 than a best of 7. No changes to the format.....not now......not ever.

Agreed that it's been a fun ride, but geez does Columbus ever seem like a lifetime ago. If I had a point in my OP, it's just that this year has been a long, emotional roller coaster, and not just on the calendar.

Maybe the only change I'd make in the playoff format is to make the first place team in each conference get five home playoff games in the first round and do a 3-2-2. That would make first in the conference something you really want to get, and not just for a potential matchup six weeks into the playoffs.

Not to de-rail my own rambling thread here, but I've never really seen why a #8 team making it to the finals is a good thing for hockey. If anything else, it highlights the games (particularly in the year the Ducks lost to the Devils) are called differently than the regular season, making who wins the conference ostensibly a moot point. "See?", the NHL says. "Just coast to playoff contention, win your last couple of games in the regular season and it's all good." The only difference between first and eighth in the conference in the first round is one piddly home game out of seven.

The NFL never really struggles at the gate or in the TV contract because of the dominance of a few teams. The NBA has only a half dozen or so teams that can compete every night and the number of AL East pennants in the last 15 years show a wide disparity between two particular teams and the other three. Tiger Woods won more majors than anybody in the last 10 years and PGA ratings are never higher than when he's in a tournament. I know people who HATE the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Patriots, the Lakers, the Tiger Woods', but you know what? They talk about them. And they care. And they watch.

I'm not saying this to you, Dano33, but if the NHL and some NHL fans don't think that having an alpha dog in the league is a good thing, they're simply not paying attention to what is going on around them.

You know, you're probably right. Maybe the NHL is doing it wrong. They found a guy to promote endlessly, but they keep saying they want parity. I guess what I should have said is that based on what the NHL "wants", it would be bad.

You guys sound like my wife.

This.

Can't believe some of you actually want LESS hockey. Not only that, but less PLAYOFF hockey.

Now I'd be all for reducing the regular season lenght a bit, but for god's sake keep the playoffs the way it is.

In my mind there's nothing better in the world of sports than the NHL playoffs, except maybe the World Cup in soccer.

It has felt like a long run though, and I think part of the reason is that the schedule has been so bad. Lots of time off during the first 2 or 3 series, and then they had to squeeze in the SCF in about 10 days to avoid it running into July.

Rd. 1, Best of 3

Sharks- bye

Wings - bye

Vancouver vs. St. Louis

Chicago vs. Calgary

Rd. 2, Best of 5

Sharks vs. Chicago

Wings vs. Vancouver

Rd. 3, Best of 7

Wings vs. Chicago

Rd. 4, Best of 7

Wings vs. Penguins

No. Why turn the greatest playoffs in all of sports to a soundbyte?

It's the regular season that needs to be trimmed imo. Historically, the majority of the league has always made the playoffs. The regular season is just a warmup for the real show. playoff history

This.

Can't believe some of you actually want LESS hockey. Not only that, but less PLAYOFF hockey.

Now I'd be all for reducing the regular season lenght a bit, but for god's sake keep the playoffs the way it is.

In my mind there's nothing better in the world of sports than the NHL playoffs, except maybe the World Cup in soccer.

It has felt like a long run though, and I think part of the reason is that the schedule has been so bad. Lots of time off during the first 2 or 3 series, and then they had to squeeze in the SCF in about 10 days to avoid it running into July.

I've always thought the World Cup was a decent sportiing event, but in the U.S. soccer won't ever be as big as it is in Europe or South America.