• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BabyJoker494

Going to Pittsburgh tm, any suggestions?

Rate this topic

Anything I need to know? Im going with my friend and our gf's. I hear the Pens fans are a little roudy. Anyone have any stories? Also, where do Wings fans go down there? Anywhere specific?

Edited by BabyJoker494

Hopefully you'll run into real Pens fans and not yinzers that started watching hockey last year. You may be surprised with how rude some of them can be, I know this from experience. People will indirectly say rude stuff. Like they'll say something really loud to their friends about Wings fans as you walk by. I had a drunk guy pretend to fall and dump his drink on my jersey. Too bad he was actually too drunk to successfully get it on me. Then last year, after the Wings won the Cup I had my car window shot/smashed out (still not sure which). Maybe that was just a coincidence, but I make it no secret that I'm a diehard Wings fan.

I don't know of any places where Wings fans hang out during games, I'm thinking their isn't any. Every Wings fan I knew turned on them when the Pens played them in the Finals last year. I chose to stay loyal to MY team.

For eating Primanti Brothers is a popular choice for visitors.

Pens fans are nice to away fans during the regular season but during the playoffs they can be really bad. I'm a STH here in Pittsburgh and I've seen a lot. They have port-a-potties outside for the big screen and a Wings fan went in one. Next thing you know a teenager comes and starts pounding it extremely loud and the Wings fan storms out with his pants unzipped and starts swearing like crazy and the policeman who is standing right by him does nothing to the kid being an idiot but starts yelling at the Wings fan. Also, last year there was a moment of silence during the SCF last year (don't remember why) and their was a family of Wings fans. During the moment of silence this guy starts screaming expletives at them nonstop. He was a total buffoon and all the Pens fans around him told him to shut up and after about 20 seconds he finally got our message. And those are just a couple examples...

You'll be fine wearing Red Wings stuff as long as you don't talk back. You'll hear every word in the dictionary and if you talk back then an entire swarm of people will turn against you and you will get kicked out of the arena. I've seen this happen to quite a few. Enjoy your stay in Pittsburgh :)

Edited by ClassyPensFan

I went to game 4 last year. I was walking by myslef from the hotel-Hampton inn, nice place, and two Pens fans started chatting me up, made sure that I knew the way to the Igloo and were great. On the way into the rink the crowd that was set up to watch the game on the big screen outside were roundly booing the Wings fans going into the rink. I'd expect nothing less. I sat in a section that were almost all season ticket holders and I was the only Wings fan in the section. They were suitably abusive, but good natured. After the game I was a little disoriented coming out of the rink and asked a cop how to get back to the hotel, and a city fireman offered said he was heading that way and gave me a ride.

All in All- a great experience. I had a blast, the Pens fans ribbed me the whole time and I had a blast.

I went to game 4 last year. I was walking by myslef from the hotel-Hampton inn, nice place, and two Pens fans started chatting me up, made sure that I knew the way to the Igloo and were great. On the way into the rink the crowd that was set up to watch the game on the big screen outside were roundly booing the Wings fans going into the rink. I'd expect nothing less. I sat in a section that were almost all season ticket holders and I was the only Wings fan in the section. They were suitably abusive, but good natured. After the game I was a little disoriented coming out of the rink and asked a cop how to get back to the hotel, and a city fireman offered said he was heading that way and gave me a ride.

All in All- a great experience. I had a blast, the Pens fans ribbed me the whole time and I had a blast.

I too was at game 4, and here were my observations:

1) Out of all the sporting events I've ever attended, in no building will you be more outnumbered than a playoff game in Pittsburgh. There ticket policy makes it one of the hardest tickets for a fan of a visiting team to get.

2) When walking to the stadium through the tailgaiters, keep your head down and walk quickly. You'll be subjected to tons of booing, finger pointing and good natured banter.....but there will be the occasional idiot who will get in your face and give you the good ole "f*** you" and "i'm gonna kick your ass" type remarks.

3) In the stadium, more heckling and, as the game gets more intense, a bit more viscious remarks.

4 When leaving the arena, especially if the Wings win, LOOK OUT. Tons of angry drunks wanting to pick fights......people throwing beer on you, and in general, you'll be exposed to the worst of the worst, THE WORST ******* PIECE OF s*** FANS ALIVE.

I've also been to watch the Wings in playoff games at Dallas, Denver and Anaheim, and the Penguin experience was far and away the worst I've ever been exposed to. (yea, even worse than Denver)

But, ***** as I may, I'm damn sure glad I went.

Good luck, and go Wings!!

Myself and a friend are heading down to the game in Pittsburgh tomorrow. After some of the stories I've heard on here, and elsewhere, I'm still looking forward to the day, but won't be surprised if we're treated harshly by the fans there. All I know for sure is that, as a Red Wings season ticket holder, I treated each and every Pens fan I bumped in to at the Joe with respect, and while I wasn't afraid to give them a bit of a ribbing, I made sure that I didn't act ignorantly towards them. These people are tourists, and we all know that the city of Detroit needs as many as they can get these days...no need to ruin anyone's experience, especially when you consider the cost of Stanley Cup tickets.

Like some others have said, I think my best approach will be to keep to myself, show respect for the fans and the city, and hope for the best! It should be a great experience, but I'm really hoping that nothing happens that would sour the whole experience.

i went to a playoff game last year in pittsburgh. the fans systematically rounded up all the redwing fans and sacrificed them in a satanic ritual then fed them to wolves after dripping their blood over young penguin fans to help bring them up right!!!!!

now back to reality:

we are like EVERY other city (except philadelphia). mind your manners, dont be obnoxious if you win and you will be safe and sound. of course we have idiots. every city has idiots. good natured ribbing is expected. should a moron give you an excessive hard time, more often than not a PENS fan will intercede on your behalf. enjoy the game and the city

good luck tonight

I have a feeling these actions of the fans is why NBC declines to have the screen outsite

kinda like no blood on our watch