• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flintstone Cicarelli

My Strategy if I were Byslma

Rate this topic

I'd direct my team to come out firing for at least the first 10 to 15 minutes of period 1. I'd instruct the players to shoot from every angle and from any vantage point. I'd instruct the forwards to crash the net when the puck is at the point hoping for a rebound or a redirect off of a Gonchar or Letang slapper. Maybe you get a nice shot or deflection, maybe you get some action in the crease maybe you get a powerplay out of it. If Ozzie looks to be gobbling up and black-holing all things puck-like, then we still have 45 minutes to revert pack to pass-pass-pass-set-up-pass shoot. What is there to lose, 'cept Stanley's shiny cup?

The one thing that has been really missing from Pittsburgh's offensive attack is putting guys in front of the net to screen Osgood like the Wings are doing to Fleury. I realize that the Penguins don't necessarily have anyone like the Mule or Holmstrom but there's no time like the present for someone to try this.

The one thing that has been really missing from Pittsburgh's offensive attack is putting guys in front of the net to screen Osgood like the Wings are doing to Fleury. I realize that the Penguins don't necessarily have anyone like the Mule or Holmstrom but there's no time like the present for someone to try this.

billy guerin got within 4 ft :-)

LETS GO PENS!!

This series has been rife with Pens second and third liners buzzing the crease without their stick on the ice. The Pens don't have the body and gumption that Malone provided them last year. It is, in my opinion, far to late to try and camp in front of the net. I was thinking more fluid crashing trying to time the slap shot and the rebound to provide an opportunity. The Crosby and the PigBoy goals of game 4 were spectacular examples of passing and timing, but I don't think they get those type of opportunities unless they break the game open a bit.

This series has been rife with Pens second and third liners buzzing the crease without their stick on the ice. The Pens don't have the body and gumption that Malone provided them last year. It is, in my opinion, far to late to try and camp in front of the net. I was thinking more fluid crashing trying to time the slap shot and the rebound to provide an opportunity. The Crosby and the PigBoy goals of game 4 were spectacular examples of passing and timing, but I don't think they get those type of opportunities unless they break the game open a bit.

LOL at Pigboy haha.

Penguins' fans sure do love posting these "here are my thoughts" threads on a daily basis. Is the Pens board so desolate or is it just filled with bandwagon Steelers fans who found out there's also a hockey team in Pittsburgh?

:champs:

I think Pittsburgh would be best served to dump & chase and then dump & chase some more. Get the puck in deep, make the Detroit D turn around and skate hard for it and then hit them. Detroit swallows the Pens up when they play puck possession, but they have had a lot of success when they get the puck in deep and are able to disrupt our D.

I'd direct my team to come out firing for at least the first 10 to 15 minutes of period 1. I'd instruct the players to shoot from every angle and from any vantage point. I'd instruct the forwards to crash the net when the puck is at the point hoping for a rebound or a redirect off of a Gonchar or Letang slapper. Maybe you get a nice shot or deflection, maybe you get some action in the crease maybe you get a powerplay out of it. If Ozzie looks to be gobbling up and black-holing all things puck-like, then we still have 45 minutes to revert pack to pass-pass-pass-set-up-pass shoot. What is there to lose, 'cept Stanley's shiny cup?

And that's why you are a rookie and not a coach. This is exactly what most newbie coaches might even tell their players in this situation. But if you can imagine Babcock in this situation, he would probably have something different to say. Running around the first 10-15 minutes to wear yourself out and come out 0-0 while the next 45 mins of hockey gets more and more intense is stupid. Just play your game, stay calm, do what got you here.

Penguins' fans sure do love posting these "here are my thoughts" threads on a daily basis. Is the Pens board so desolate or is it just filled with bandwagon Steelers fans who found out there's also a hockey team in Pittsburgh?

:champs:

Hey there, litte fella. Care to discuss hockey and tonight's game? Maybe it'd be interesting to talk about the prospects of the game and strategy from opposing views? If not, and gushing over songs and fan sound wavs is your thing; no worries, buckeroo..there are plenty-o-threads about that stuff too.

There is a game six tonight and the Cup will be in the house. My team needs to win to stay alive, yours needs to just win to end it. I'm interested in discussing how each with try to reach thier goal this evening.

Wanna figure out that oh-so-hard delimma of which shirt to buy? There is a thread.

Itching to discuss if Hossa will be a Wing in 2035? There is a thread.

Miffed about who is nominated for which NHL award? there is a thread.

And that's why you are a rookie and not a coach. This is exactly what most newbie coaches might even tell their players in this situation. But if you can imagine Babcock in this situation, he would probably have something different to say. Running around the first 10-15 minutes to wear yourself out and come out 0-0 while the next 45 mins of hockey gets more and more intense is stupid. Just play your game, stay calm, do what got you here.

A coach I am not, and there is a good reason for that. I see your point.

I think Pittsburgh would be best served to dump & chase and then dump & chase some more. Get the puck in deep, make the Detroit D turn around and skate hard for it and then hit them. Detroit swallows the Pens up when they play puck possession, but they have had a lot of success when they get the puck in deep and are able to disrupt our D.

They should also consider playing the trap -- and pouncing on mistakes to create odd-man rushes - which they have also had a lot of success on.

Pittsburgh is over-matched playing their game -- I do think they should alter it.

Very true. However, I also think Babs addressed this with the team prior to Game 5. The Pens had a lot of success in Games 3 & 4 with their relentless forecheck but that won't help any team if the Wings execute on their first passes. While the last 40 minutes of Game 5 aren't a good sample, the first 20 were a perfect example of this. The Wings struggled with the Pens forecheck and gave the Pens some opportunities to get the games first goal. Once they started executing and making a better first pass, it was all down-hill for the Pens.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Pens are going to be effective tonight, they're going to have to do a better job of disrupting the Wings' first pass. If they can't do that, the Wings should generate enough quality scoring chances and then its just a matter of how well they finish their shots.

They should also consider playing the trap -- and pouncing on mistakes to create odd-man rushes - which they have also had a lot of success on.

Pittsburgh is over-matched playing their game -- I do think they should alter it.

While you may be right, I feel that at this point you have to play the style that got you here and since Bylsma took over it isn't the trap. Just for the record though, when Bylsma was the coach of the Baby Penguins he did utilize the trap. so you never know.

Also, on an unrelated note I heard on the radio today that Sykora may play tonight, why I don't know.

Hey there, litte fella. Care to discuss hockey and tonight's game? Maybe it'd be interesting to talk about the prospects of the game and strategy from opposing views? If not, and gushing over songs and fan sound wavs is your thing; no worries, buckeroo..there are plenty-o-threads about that stuff too.

There is a game six tonight and the Cup will be in the house. My team needs to win to stay alive, yours needs to just win to end it. I'm interested in discussing how each with try to reach thier goal this evening.

Wanna figure out that oh-so-hard delimma of which shirt to buy? There is a thread.

Well, we should probably stick to this deep subject started: the proffered strategy of Bylsma.

I think Bylsma should be more specific in his instructions. Tell Malkin and Crosby to score 3 goals each, and then instruct the other players to each add one. Except Fleury. Tell Fleury not to let any pucks in the net behind him. And, of course, to stay in front of the correct net at the correct time.

Now, as a counter strategy, if I am Babcock, and I tell the Wings to score first. Come right out on the ice and score once. THEN, after every time the Penguins score, SCORE AGAIN.

Keep this up for three periods.

I wouldn't tell Osgood anything in this case.

Nope, don't care. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people interested in discussing the Penguins issues on the Penguins forum. I've had enough of the veiled attempts at fellating the Penguins on this board in the spirit of "discussing opposing views" (not necessarily initiated by you in most cases).

Well, we should probably stick to this deep subject started: the proffered strategy of Bylsma.

I think Bylsma should be more specific in his instructions. Tell Malkin and Crosby to score 3 goals each, and then instruct the other players to each add one. Except Fleury. Tell Fleury not to let any pucks in the net behind him. And, of course, to stay in front of the correct net at the correct time.

Now, as a counter strategy, if I am Babcock, and I tell the Wings to score first. Come right out on the ice and score once. THEN, after every time the Penguins score, SCORE AGAIN.

Keep this up for three periods.

I wouldn't tell Osgood anything in this case.

Maybe. That might not work though.

Nope, don't care. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people interested in discussing the Penguins issues on the Penguins forum. I've had enough of the veiled attempts at fellating the Penguins on this board in the spirit of "discussing opposing views" (not necessarily initiated by you in most cases).

Oh, in that case all you need to do is turn around and walk your sorry ass out of this thread, big guy. :)

Oh, in that case all you need to do is turn around and walk your sorry ass out of this thread, big guy. :)

Yes, your words are very tough on the internet. I will greatly enjoy the unfathomable sadness coming out of your arena tonight when Hossa is skating around with cup in it. I'll leave you to your thread, enjoy the game.

If you don't care for it, there's a simple solution...don't read it or post in it. I happen to very much enjoy this type of discussion and telling a fan of another team to "do it on a Penguins forum" is ridiculous.

Great topic. I look forward to discussing it further.

Yes, your words are very tough on the internet. I will greatly enjoy the unfathomable sadness coming out of your arena tonight when Hossa is skating around with cup in it. I'll leave you to your thread, enjoy the game.

OOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOEEEESSSSSS what will i do if the Pens lose a hockey game??????????

See-ya later.

Very true. However, I also think Babs addressed this with the team prior to Game 5. The Pens had a lot of success in Games 3 & 4 with their relentless forecheck but that won't help any team if the Wings execute on their first passes. While the last 40 minutes of Game 5 aren't a good sample, the first 20 were a perfect example of this. The Wings struggled with the Pens forecheck and gave the Pens some opportunities to get the games first goal. Once they started executing and making a better first pass, it was all down-hill for the Pens.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Pens are going to be effective tonight, they're going to have to do a better job of disrupting the Wings' first pass. If they can't do that, the Wings should generate enough quality scoring chances and then its just a matter of how well they finish their shots.

Yeah, Anaheim and Chicago also had limited bouts of success with it -- but the Wings countered it with conservative, short and crisp first passes in their own zone, with a forward down low to help the D out.

I really think their best chance would be playing the trap. Hope Bylsma does not do it.

Edited by egroen