• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruys92

Captain Terminator Nicklas Lidstrom

Rate this topic

I've been watching Lidstrom closely this series, and have come up with some of the general rules by which he plays the game. I'm sure you folks, who follow him more closely, can add to my list:

So here is the Tao of Nicklas Lidstrom, the old master of defensive hockey:

* Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it's been.

* Do not hit or be hit.

* Move fast, but do not hurry.

* React, but do not over-react.

* Keep your body between your own net and the attacking player.

* Let every man cover his own man.

* Do not play for yourself. Just play.

* Watch for the real threat, not the apparent threat.

* Cover the passing lanes. It is the man without the puck who is most likely to score.

* Do not attack the man who has cleanly gone by you. Cover the players rushing in late for the rebound. The goalie can stop the one, but not the other.

P.S. Thanks for linking to my "When Pavel Met Evgeni" piece. Good to hear the feedback (not so many folks in Edmonton are following the playoffs with your intensity).

BTW, I wrote an entire blog post at The Cult of Hockey on this Lidstron-Old Master theme. If you're interested you can find it here:

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...8/lidstrom.aspx

I've been watching Lidstrom closely this series, and have come up with some of the general rules by which he plays the game. I'm sure you folks, who follow him more closely, can add to my list:

So here is the Tao of Nicklas Lidstrom, the old master of defensive hockey:

* Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it's been.

* Do not hit or be hit.

* Move fast, but do not hurry.

* React, but do not over-react.

* Keep your body between your own net and the attacking player.

* Let every man cover his own man.

* Do not play for yourself. Just play.

* Watch for the real threat, not the apparent threat.

* Cover the passing lanes. It is the man without the puck who is most likely to score.

* Do not attack the man who has cleanly gone by you. Cover the players rushing in late for the rebound. The goalie can stop the one, but not the other.

P.S. Thanks for linking to my "When Pavel Met Evgeni" piece. Good to hear the feedback (not so many folks in Edmonton are following the playoffs with your intensity).

BTW, I wrote an entire blog post at The Cult of Hockey on this Lidstron-Old Master theme. If you're interested you can find it here:

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...8/lidstrom.aspx

Good read thanks for sharing!

Yeah the touching looked pretty awkward but everyone knows Cabbie and the kinda stuff he does. His interviews with Osgood are always classic.

Nick is just the consummate professional... it really was uncomfortable to watch though, so I can only imagine how awkward it had to be for him...

Nick is just the consummate professional... it really was uncomfortable to watch though, so I can only imagine how awkward it had to be for him...

I really think Nick was more amused by Cabbie's antics than anything. He kinda had a half-smile on his face like he was trying not to laugh while Cabbie was doing his thing.

Hilarious clip though.

Sadly, not every Wings "fan" (I use that term loosely here) has the same great feelings about our amazing captain. Here are a few of Micah's choice opinions about Lidstrom, sad really:

Both Lids and Pavel let themselves and their teammates get pushed around. Yzerman got in there (especially as a youngster) and stirred the pot. While it's true that a guy like Yzerman could play bigger because of his teammates, I think that kind of fearless attitude also motivates the other players to adopt a "not going to take any crap" arttitude. To me, you can't be a great captain (or alternate) if you're not willing to stand up for yourself and your teammates. Guts are a key part of leadership.

Curiously, in the only Lidstrom fight that I can remember, it was Yzerman who saved him from being beaten even worse than he was. I don't ever remember Nik doing the same for a teammate. Do you?

Did I ever state a preference for Canadian players? While it's true that I like the North American style of play better than that in most of the European leagues, I don't prefer Canadiahns or Americans to European players as a whole. Draper, Lebda and Maltby are as big of ******* as Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Hudler are.

He [Downey] already has the C, it's just a secret C. The one Lidstrom wears isn't real. You can tell it's a fake if you look real close. You think a soft, faggy Euro-captain could lead a team this far into the playoffs?

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

Suck to be so spoiled of a fan that you can't appriciate the amazing talent and leadership that Lidstrom provides.