• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Last Time a Team Won Game 7 on the Road.....

Rate this topic

Stats don't matter.

Anything can happen.

Yeah, I mean stats can make us feel really good sometimes when looking forward, BUT... one of the things that I HATE about this time of year is all the speculation about every single stat from every single angle. It's even worse when there's so many days between such important games. People come up with the goofiest stats.

We now have tonight, all of Wednesday, all of Thursday, and Friday day to bed fed propaganda about who SHOULD win based on numbers, starting in probably 1926. Come gametime, I'm so sick of hearing that I only want to see the Wings perform. When the 60 minutes are up on Friday, the stats of the last 80 years won't matter.

Not to belittle your stat, of course. It is encouraging and I like reading something like that from time to time. But even Fleury's stat of being 4-0 after losing by more than 4 goals or whatever. Get out of here. That's for the horses.

Proverbially speaking.

In the Cup Finals that is......The 1971 Montreal Canadiens......I think. At least the last 38 years are on our side......

But the Habs are Canadian. When is the last time an American team won game 7 on the road in the Stanley Cup finals on a Friday after coming of a sweep in the previous round?

Yeah, I mean stats can make us feel really good sometimes when looking forward, BUT... one of the things that I HATE about this time of year is all the speculation about every single stat from every single angle. It's even worse when there's so many days between such important games. People come up with the goofiest stats.

We now have tonight, all of Wednesday, all of Thursday, and Friday day to bed fed propaganda about who SHOULD win based on numbers, starting in probably 1926. Come gametime, I'm so sick of hearing that I only want to see the Wings perform. When the 60 minutes are up on Friday, the stats of the last 80 years won't matter.

Not to belittle your stat, of course. It is encouraging and I like reading something like that from time to time. But even Fleury's stat of being 4-0 after losing by more than 4 goals or whatever. Get out of here. That's for the horses.

Proverbially speaking.

Confucious say: Learn the past, and you shall know the future.

The game still has to be played on the ice, but nevertheless, if the Pens do pull it off they deserve HUGE props, because to come back from 0-2 down and then win a Game 7 on the road is INCREDIBLY difficult to do, as history bears out.

Confucious ALSO say: Show up to the damned rink in Game 6 and skate like you WANT the Cup, and you won't have to WORRY about the 'stats' or 'history' of Game 7's in the NHL Stanley Cup Finals.

Seems pretty simple to me, really....

Confucious ALSO say: Show up to the damned rink in Game 6 and skate like you WANT the Cup, and you won't have to WORRY about the 'stats' or 'history' of Game 7's in the NHL Stanley Cup Finals.

My sentiments exactly Outsider. my sentiments exactly

Guest Shoreline
Stats don't matter.

Anything can happen.

Yes. This is true. Stats do not matter.

Comforting-wise, however, as much as I hate stats, in this series alone the home team has won every game.

I'm confident we will see the Wings of Games 1, 2, and 5, in Game 7, when it's do-or-die, and in front of the Joe.

Of the Cup clinching victories for the Wings of late, citing a funny yet irrelevant tidbit -- 1997 was at home, 1998 was away, 2002 was at home, 2008 was away. If the trend continues here, 2009 is at home.

That being said, the Wings play a 60 minute game here or they pull a magnificent choke job.

Edited by Shoreline

We know that the Wings sucked in game six.

They weren't too hearty in game four either.

Detroit has bounced back from EVERY game (save game three, but that was a pretty close matchup) they have lost this post-season. And they have done it in stride.

Haha! Yes they did and to this day they're the only visiting team to have won the Stanley Cup on the Canadiens' home ice.

Yes but I'm talking about winning game SEVEN on the road. They won in six, just like we did last year

The game still has to be played on the ice, but nevertheless, if the Pens do pull it off they deserve HUGE props, because to come back from 0-2 down and then win a Game 7 on the road is INCREDIBLY difficult to do, as history bears out.

True story! No other Wings fan will give the Pens props though. It will be all about the crappy reffing or league conspiracy. Never that THE RED WINGS pissed their opportunity away by playing lazy.

Here's something interesting for the numbers people.

The 1971 Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to lose game 7 of the SCF on home ice, AND they were also the last and one of the only teams to ever get a 2-0 lead in a SCF and lose it. The Pens have also won every series in these playoffs on the road. Game 6 @ Philadelphia, Game 7 @ Washington, and Game 4 @ Carolina. The bottom line is the Pens are not playing the history, the Pens are playing the Red Wings.....& for those of you keeping score at home, the Pens are 4-0 all time in Game 7s on the road in their playoff history...