• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Last Time a Team Won Game 7 on the Road.....

Rate this topic

Here's something interesting for the numbers people.

The 1971 Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to lose game 7 of the SCF on home ice, AND they were also the last and one of the only teams to ever get a 2-0 lead in a SCF and lose it. The Pens have also won every series in these playoffs on the road. Game 6 @ Philadelphia, Game 7 @ Washington, and Game 4 @ Carolina. The bottom line is the Pens are not playing the history, the Pens are playing the Red Wings.....& for those of you keeping score at home, the Pens are 4-0 all time in Game 7s on the road in their playoff history...

Good statistics - no argument there - except that playoff history is slightly different from finals history.

Don't tell me that a team plays with as much passion in a Round 1 Game 7 as they do in a Stanley Cup Final Game 7.

I agree with the uselessness of stats around this time of year, especially now. It's like getting those stats that say Team X is 1-0 when they have 12 shots in the 2nd period while Team Y only got 11.....

Edited by NewBelgium1554

I prefer this stat:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/odds;_ylt=Apyc...AGs.kuZZq57vLYF

Pittsburgh

at

Detroit -1 1/2

Vegas has given the home team a -1 1/2 every game. Only game they were wrong off was game 5's spread.

I agree with most of the others though...historical stats are irrelevant, and to a degree, stats from the rest of these playoffs are as well. This is a game 7 winner-takes-all final on Detroit ice. I'll take those odds for the Wings any day. Backed against the wall, this team knows how to win.

But the Habs are Canadian. When is the last time an American team won game 7 on the road in the Stanley Cup finals on a Friday after coming of a sweep in the previous round?

Never.

No opposing team has ever skated with the Cup at the Joe before either...The way I look at it is the Pens have been going against the odds and stats all playoffs long

- The runner-up curse.

- The 20% or so chance of making the playoffs before the coaching change.

- Down 2-0 to Washington.

- Game 7 on the road in Washington.

None of that s*** matters. Past statistics and history don't mean a thing. One game. Win and rewrite history.

To be fair, Washington played the first two games until a rookie goalie and essentially nonexistant defense prompty died for the rest of the series. Comparing the Capitals to the Wings is apples to oranges, especially on the back end.

No opposing team has ever skated with the Cup at the Joe before either...The way I look at it is the Pens have been going against the odds and stats all playoffs long

- The runner-up curse.

- The 20% or so chance of making the playoffs before the coaching change.

- Down 2-0 to Washington.

- Game 7 on the road in Washington.

None of that s*** matters. Past statistics and history don't mean a thing. One game. Win and rewrite history.

Detroit is not Washington.

Pitt was really lucky to come up with the win in Game 6. If Zett don't hit the post or Cleary don't miss his breakaway, you're not any more on these boards.

I think Detroit will win, except if we have really bad luck. Taking game 5 was Pitt's best chance, not this one.

Detroit is not Washington.

Pitt was really lucky to come up with the win in Game 6. If Zett don't hit the post or Cleary don't miss his breakaway, you're not any more on these boards.

I think Detroit will win, except if we have really bad luck. Taking game 5 was Pitt's best chance, not this one.

Yea I guess if Cleary scores and ties the game there it's just an automatic lock that the Wings get the next goal in OT and win the game. I mean maybe the Penguins dont even show up for the overtime and just forfeit. If you're going to say if Zetterberg didnt hit the post or Cleary dont miss the breakaway, I could go back just as easily to Games 1 and 2 and say is Malkin didnt miss the breakaway in Game 1 against Osgood when the game was tied midway through the 2nd maybe the Pens win game 1. Or if Crosby and Guerin dont hit posts on Osgood late in the 2nd period or early in the 3rd period of Game 2 when the score was only 2-1 Wings maybe the Pens win game 2. I guess it's okay to bring up Wings players hitting the posts and missing golden chances as reasons why they could have won, but it doesnt count and is completely ridiculous if I bring up the Penguins doing it much like they did in Games 1 and 2. Give me a break...

Edited by 87to71

To be fair, Washington played the first two games until a rookie goalie and essentially nonexistant defense prompty died for the rest of the series. Comparing the Capitals to the Wings is apples to oranges, especially on the back end.

I agree that the Caps are not the Wings but the point is the Penguins can still use this is as a confidence builder in knowing that they can win a game 7 on the road and have already done it once this year after being down in the series 2-0 much like they are in this series versus the Red Wings. It helps them mentally and Im sure they will also go back to last years triple overtime win in Game 5 in Detroit seeing that a lot of the players from this years team were on that team as well from last season and use that as a confidence builder as well in knowing that they can win a game in Detroit if need be...

I agree that the Caps are not the Wings but the point is the Penguins can still use this is as a confidence builder in knowing that they can win a game 7 on the road and have already done it once this year after being down in the series 2-0 much like they are in this series versus the Red Wings. It helps them mentally and Im sure they will also go back to last years triple overtime win in Game 5 in Detroit seeing that a lot of the players from this years team were on that team as well from last season and use that as a confidence builder as well in knowing that they can win a game in Detroit if need be...

Possibly, but also consider the parameters involved. The Penguins were dominated in game five last year.

This can go either way, and your points are about as valid as mine are. Both can be disagreed with for numerous reasons and both have merit to them.

Here's to a great game seven.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too here, though. In another thread you're ranting about how the Wings' near-unbeatable home record these playoffs means nothing (ditto on the historical home win game 7 streak). Which is perfectly reasonable to argue, but here you're citing previous performances (ones as far back as last year, at that) as a concrete advantage to Pittsburgh. Either factor in the past or don't, but it works both ways whether you want it to or not. The Wings' home record is just as much a confidence builder for Detroit; if anything it's probably more relevant than the result of a second round against a team that's in no way similar to the Wings.

People seem to be a bit confused about what statistics are supposed to do. You can cavalierly shout that 'stats don't mean s***', fine- probabilistic outcomes don't require your belief to remain valid. People here seem to have a hard time telling the difference between a person using statistics in a discussion and a bad fortune teller. Let me illustrate my point with an example:

Your odds of being hit by lightning in any given year are 1 in 700,000.

What that means: The average person that lives through a year of average situations is highly unlikely to be hit by lightning.

What morons think it means: "I stand around in a field holding a copper rod in a storm with relative impunity". Or: "Screw you people who paid attention in math class- I'm in control of my own destiny, stop trying to tell me I'll be hit with lightning."

Why that last part is retarded: No one is saying you are never likely to be hit by lightning. Statistics aren't a crystal f***in' ball. You modify the likelihood of something happening with every action you take- you're not being told what will happen by a person who mentions a statistic. That lightning statistic isn't valid for people who sit at the top of an isolated tower, it isn't valid for that one guy with a metal plate in his head and a love of standing in open fields. That stat is valid for the average person in any year long period. Nothing more, nothing less. The onus is on you to use your intellect to interpret the meaning and validity of a particular stat in your situation.

Honestly here people. This gleeful ignorance thing is ridiculous.

The original poster simply pointed out that no one has won the cup in game 7 on the road in quite some time. Cool. That speaks to the difficulty in winning an elimination game on the road, especially when both teams stand to be eliminated if they lose that game. Being the home team is always an advantage. No one is saying it guarantees or predicts anything. This is simply meant to make people feel a bit more confident- based only on who is playing in their home rink, the situation is more favourable for the Wings. There are many, many other factors involved- this statistic doesn't claim to cover anything other than home rink advantage.

Again- it's up to you to read the stat and interpret it's validity. ;)

Yea I guess if Cleary scores and ties the game there it's just an automatic lock that the Wings get the next goal in OT and win the game. I mean maybe the Penguins dont even show up for the overtime and just forfeit. If you're going to say if Zetterberg didnt hit the post or Cleary dont miss the breakaway, I could go back just as easily to Games 1 and 2 and say is Malkin didnt miss the breakaway in Game 1 against Osgood when the game was tied midway through the 2nd maybe the Pens win game 1. Or if Crosby and Guerin dont hit posts on Osgood late in the 2nd period or early in the 3rd period of Game 2 when the score was only 2-1 Wings maybe the Pens win game 2. I guess it's okay to bring up Wings players hitting the posts and missing golden chances as reasons why they could have won, but it doesnt count and is completely ridiculous if I bring up the Penguins doing it much like they did in Games 1 and 2. Give me a break...

I agree with you about the what if and lucky bounces and chances, however, I wish you would tell that to bewarethepenguin as he spent 4-5 pages whining about it after the first two games and making the same arguments that you are rejecting here.

Like it's already been said : Stats don't matter, the end result does. Pittsburgh is up against the Wings, not the Caps, etc. etc.

The biggest thing that Pittsburgh would need to do in order to win Game 7 is to overcome the bounces. If Detroit can take advantage of home-ice bounces, as both teams have done this series, then Detroit wins. If the pens can overcome the incredibly high pressure of winning the CUP on the road, then they have a decent shot at this. The pens also will need goals and a spectacular defensive game from the lower lines.

Detroit needs Hossa to score if they're going to win. If Hossa doesn't show up in game 7, then there's no reason for the Wings to win.

The end result will determine the better team, if there's any source of "experience" for the Wings, it will be the second round against the ducks. That series had the feel of a Cup final, and was a great game to watch. Good luck to the Pens, BUT Let's go Red Wings. Expect the greatest game of the playoffs Friday night.

Rather than becoming more confident because of numbers like this, I just get more pessimistic about the Wings' chances. It's not like there's an unconquerable home ice advantage built into this situation. Any team that's won 15 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs is clearly capable of winning one more, no matter where it's played. So if it hasn't happened in nearly 40 years, all that means is the road team is due.

remember game 4? Hoe lifeless the Wings were, and Pit was flying high? Then gmae 5 happened. No worries about the Wings, just as I told my buddy from Pit way back in round two, If there is a repeat, outcome Game 7 overtime Hossa game winner. He said he'd Sh!t himself! (I hope we win in regulation, but I will take a win no matter how!)

I agree that past statistics mean nothing and the Wings could easily lose game 7, despite how the previous 15 game 7's of the Finals resulted. However, it does speak as to how difficult it is for a road team to walk into an opposing arena and win in game 7 of the Finals.