Photo
- - - - -

Last Time a Team Won Game 7 on the Road.....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Aeothe Kaear

Aeothe Kaear

puttin' on the foil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:08 AM

I'll be damned. I thought that was a Game 7, but you're right.
"I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin' hand. That pisses me right off." -- Dino Ciccarelli

#22 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Nev @ June 10, 2009 - 01:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confucious say: Learn the past, and you shall know the future.

The game still has to be played on the ice, but nevertheless, if the Pens do pull it off they deserve HUGE props, because to come back from 0-2 down and then win a Game 7 on the road is INCREDIBLY difficult to do, as history bears out.

True story! No other Wings fan will give the Pens props though. It will be all about the crappy reffing or league conspiracy. Never that THE RED WINGS pissed their opportunity away by playing lazy.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#23 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

Damn you American stats freaks!!
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#24 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (ShanahanMan @ June 10, 2009 - 12:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Cup Finals that is......The 1971 Montreal Canadiens......I think. At least the last 38 years are on our side......

Whew! Thank God you don't have to play them, they sound gritty.

#25 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Here's something interesting for the numbers people.

The 1971 Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to lose game 7 of the SCF on home ice, AND they were also the last and one of the only teams to ever get a 2-0 lead in a SCF and lose it. The Pens have also won every series in these playoffs on the road. Game 6 @ Philadelphia, Game 7 @ Washington, and Game 4 @ Carolina. The bottom line is the Pens are not playing the history, the Pens are playing the Red Wings.....& for those of you keeping score at home, the Pens are 4-0 all time in Game 7s on the road in their playoff history...

#26 Greetings from Blueland

Greetings from Blueland

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 03:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's something interesting for the numbers people.

The 1971 Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to lose game 7 of the SCF on home ice, AND they were also the last and one of the only teams to ever get a 2-0 lead in a SCF and lose it. The Pens have also won every series in these playoffs on the road. Game 6 @ Philadelphia, Game 7 @ Washington, and Game 4 @ Carolina. The bottom line is the Pens are not playing the history, the Pens are playing the Red Wings.....& for those of you keeping score at home, the Pens are 4-0 all time in Game 7s on the road in their playoff history...

Good statistics - no argument there - except that playoff history is slightly different from finals history.

Don't tell me that a team plays with as much passion in a Round 1 Game 7 as they do in a Stanley Cup Final Game 7.
If you're ever feeling down, remember this: At least you're not the Thrashers!

#27 NewBelgium1554

NewBelgium1554

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

I agree with the uselessness of stats around this time of year, especially now. It's like getting those stats that say Team X is 1-0 when they have 12 shots in the 2nd period while Team Y only got 11.....

Edited by NewBelgium1554, 10 June 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#28 jdog19

jdog19

Lets Go Red Wings!

• HoF Booster
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

I prefer this stat:

http://sports.yahoo....AGs.kuZZq57vLYF

Pittsburgh
at
Detroit -1 1/2

Vegas has given the home team a -1 1/2 every game. Only game they were wrong off was game 5's spread.

I agree with most of the others though...historical stats are irrelevant, and to a degree, stats from the rest of these playoffs are as well. This is a game 7 winner-takes-all final on Detroit ice. I'll take those odds for the Wings any day. Backed against the wall, this team knows how to win.

#29 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ June 10, 2009 - 01:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the Habs are Canadian. When is the last time an American team won game 7 on the road in the Stanley Cup finals on a Friday after coming of a sweep in the previous round?

Never.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#30 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

No opposing team has ever skated with the Cup at the Joe before either...The way I look at it is the Pens have been going against the odds and stats all playoffs long

- The runner-up curse.
- The 20% or so chance of making the playoffs before the coaching change.
- Down 2-0 to Washington.
- Game 7 on the road in Washington.

None of that s*** matters. Past statistics and history don't mean a thing. One game. Win and rewrite history.

#31 Cern

Cern

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

To be fair, Washington played the first two games until a rookie goalie and essentially nonexistant defense prompty died for the rest of the series. Comparing the Capitals to the Wings is apples to oranges, especially on the back end.
1 2 3 4|1 2 3 4 5 6 7|1 2 3 4 5|1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#32 RedWings

RedWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 08:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No opposing team has ever skated with the Cup at the Joe before either...The way I look at it is the Pens have been going against the odds and stats all playoffs long

- The runner-up curse.
- The 20% or so chance of making the playoffs before the coaching change.
- Down 2-0 to Washington.
- Game 7 on the road in Washington.

None of that s*** matters. Past statistics and history don't mean a thing. One game. Win and rewrite history.

Detroit is not Washington.
Pitt was really lucky to come up with the win in Game 6. If Zett don't hit the post or Cleary don't miss his breakaway, you're not any more on these boards.

I think Detroit will win, except if we have really bad luck. Taking game 5 was Pitt's best chance, not this one.

#33 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (RedWings @ June 10, 2009 - 05:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Detroit is not Washington.
Pitt was really lucky to come up with the win in Game 6. If Zett don't hit the post or Cleary don't miss his breakaway, you're not any more on these boards.

I think Detroit will win, except if we have really bad luck. Taking game 5 was Pitt's best chance, not this one.

Yea I guess if Cleary scores and ties the game there it's just an automatic lock that the Wings get the next goal in OT and win the game. I mean maybe the Penguins dont even show up for the overtime and just forfeit. If you're going to say if Zetterberg didnt hit the post or Cleary dont miss the breakaway, I could go back just as easily to Games 1 and 2 and say is Malkin didnt miss the breakaway in Game 1 against Osgood when the game was tied midway through the 2nd maybe the Pens win game 1. Or if Crosby and Guerin dont hit posts on Osgood late in the 2nd period or early in the 3rd period of Game 2 when the score was only 2-1 Wings maybe the Pens win game 2. I guess it's okay to bring up Wings players hitting the posts and missing golden chances as reasons why they could have won, but it doesnt count and is completely ridiculous if I bring up the Penguins doing it much like they did in Games 1 and 2. Give me a break...

Edited by 87to71, 10 June 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#34 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

No matter who wins, it has been an excellent series between to excellent teams. And whoever wins, deserves it. Go wings!

#35 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Cern @ June 10, 2009 - 04:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, Washington played the first two games until a rookie goalie and essentially nonexistant defense prompty died for the rest of the series. Comparing the Capitals to the Wings is apples to oranges, especially on the back end.

I agree that the Caps are not the Wings but the point is the Penguins can still use this is as a confidence builder in knowing that they can win a game 7 on the road and have already done it once this year after being down in the series 2-0 much like they are in this series versus the Red Wings. It helps them mentally and Im sure they will also go back to last years triple overtime win in Game 5 in Detroit seeing that a lot of the players from this years team were on that team as well from last season and use that as a confidence builder as well in knowing that they can win a game in Detroit if need be...

#36 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 05:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that the Caps are not the Wings but the point is the Penguins can still use this is as a confidence builder in knowing that they can win a game 7 on the road and have already done it once this year after being down in the series 2-0 much like they are in this series versus the Red Wings. It helps them mentally and Im sure they will also go back to last years triple overtime win in Game 5 in Detroit seeing that a lot of the players from this years team were on that team as well from last season and use that as a confidence builder as well in knowing that they can win a game in Detroit if need be...

Possibly, but also consider the parameters involved. The Penguins were dominated in game five last year.

This can go either way, and your points are about as valid as mine are. Both can be disagreed with for numerous reasons and both have merit to them.

Here's to a great game seven.

#37 Ladsud2002

Ladsud2002

Rookie

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 04:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
None of that s*** matters. Past statistics and history don't mean a thing.

Your right, but what else is there to talk about for the next two days but worthless stats and s*** that dont matter?

#38 Cern

Cern

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 01:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too here, though. In another thread you're ranting about how the Wings' near-unbeatable home record these playoffs means nothing (ditto on the historical home win game 7 streak). Which is perfectly reasonable to argue, but here you're citing previous performances (ones as far back as last year, at that) as a concrete advantage to Pittsburgh. Either factor in the past or don't, but it works both ways whether you want it to or not. The Wings' home record is just as much a confidence builder for Detroit; if anything it's probably more relevant than the result of a second round against a team that's in no way similar to the Wings.
1 2 3 4|1 2 3 4 5 6 7|1 2 3 4 5|1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#39 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

People seem to be a bit confused about what statistics are supposed to do. You can cavalierly shout that 'stats don't mean s***', fine- probabilistic outcomes don't require your belief to remain valid. People here seem to have a hard time telling the difference between a person using statistics in a discussion and a bad fortune teller. Let me illustrate my point with an example:

Your odds of being hit by lightning in any given year are 1 in 700,000.

What that means:
The average person that lives through a year of average situations is highly unlikely to be hit by lightning.

What morons think it means: "I stand around in a field holding a copper rod in a storm with relative impunity". Or: "Screw you people who paid attention in math class- I'm in control of my own destiny, stop trying to tell me I'll be hit with lightning."

Why that last part is retarded: No one is saying you are never likely to be hit by lightning. Statistics aren't a crystal f***in' ball. You modify the likelihood of something happening with every action you take- you're not being told what will happen by a person who mentions a statistic. That lightning statistic isn't valid for people who sit at the top of an isolated tower, it isn't valid for that one guy with a metal plate in his head and a love of standing in open fields. That stat is valid for the average person in any year long period. Nothing more, nothing less. The onus is on you to use your intellect to interpret the meaning and validity of a particular stat in your situation.

Honestly here people. This gleeful ignorance thing is ridiculous.

The original poster simply pointed out that no one has won the cup in game 7 on the road in quite some time. Cool. That speaks to the difficulty in winning an elimination game on the road, especially when both teams stand to be eliminated if they lose that game. Being the home team is always an advantage. No one is saying it guarantees or predicts anything. This is simply meant to make people feel a bit more confident- based only on who is playing in their home rink, the situation is more favourable for the Wings. There are many, many other factors involved- this statistic doesn't claim to cover anything other than home rink advantage.

Again- it's up to you to read the stat and interpret it's validity. wink.gif

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#40 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 05:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea I guess if Cleary scores and ties the game there it's just an automatic lock that the Wings get the next goal in OT and win the game. I mean maybe the Penguins dont even show up for the overtime and just forfeit. If you're going to say if Zetterberg didnt hit the post or Cleary dont miss the breakaway, I could go back just as easily to Games 1 and 2 and say is Malkin didnt miss the breakaway in Game 1 against Osgood when the game was tied midway through the 2nd maybe the Pens win game 1. Or if Crosby and Guerin dont hit posts on Osgood late in the 2nd period or early in the 3rd period of Game 2 when the score was only 2-1 Wings maybe the Pens win game 2. I guess it's okay to bring up Wings players hitting the posts and missing golden chances as reasons why they could have won, but it doesnt count and is completely ridiculous if I bring up the Penguins doing it much like they did in Games 1 and 2. Give me a break...

I agree with you about the what if and lucky bounces and chances, however, I wish you would tell that to bewarethepenguin as he spent 4-5 pages whining about it after the first two games and making the same arguments that you are rejecting here.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain