115 replies to this topic

#61 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ June 10, 2009 - 03:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to hear the evidence FOR the alleged favoritism.

Malkin playing in Game 3?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#62 FedorovMan91

FedorovMan91

Legend

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

This kind of thread is really meaningless because the wings got screwed up by the red but they did not deserve to win game 6; I just want to hear the thread that blame the wings' own play

Anyone asks about the life? It is very simple. You have all or none. You have a success or failure. There can be only one winner. However, you need a failure to accomplish a success. You never look back. You only look forward. What you are doing right now for even a second or a minute shape your future. It can be deadly gloomy or very bright. Don't be frustrated by the present situation. Think positively. Good thing will happen to you soon

#63 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Vilmer @ June 10, 2009 - 04:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't care less about Cindy or Malkin, but I have never seen so many hacks, whacks and slashes as I did last night on the part of the Penguins. It was absolutely ridiculous. On top of that, I think we all knew even before the game started that Pittsburgh would get power plays very early, regardless of the fact the Wings came out like they were tranquilized.

Oh well the bottom line is the Wings had 2 power plays for 4 out of 5 minutes midway through the 3rd period after they had just scored to make it 2-1 and had all the momentum and they failed to get the job done...The refs gave the Wings 2 power play chances after they made it 2-1 to tie the game and they didnt do it that's all there is too it pure and simple...

#64 jvxp

jvxp

Wings fan since the 80's !

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (rangerfan @ June 10, 2009 - 11:38AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a Ranger fan who deals with the Penguins all year. The Refs/NHL clearly favors the big name stars when it comes to calls. The same thing happens with Ovechkin and the Caps. The Wings got screwed last night on many calls. Goaltender interference was a joke in the 1st. The NBC announcers on 2 separate occasions last night stated that the Pens got away with interference calls. I hate to say it Wings Fans but you are not only battling the Pens but also the officials and the NHL who would like nothing more than to have the Crosby/Malkin Pens hoist the Cup. Good Luck and Go Wings

True! NHL is now the WWF on ice......it's turning into a fake sport.

#65 Austin

Austin

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 10, 2009 - 01:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh well the bottom line is the Wings had 2 power plays for 4 out of 5 minutes midway through the 3rd period after they had just scored to make it 2-1 and had all the momentum and they failed to get the job done...The refs gave the Wings 2 power play chances after they made it 2-1 to tie the game and they didnt do it that's all there is too it pure and simple...

This is what I can't stand.. the refs didn't "give" the wings anything last night. They called a pretty dangerous cross-check and a clear high-stick.

They did, on the other hand, give the pens an early powerplay with a horrible goaltender interference call in the first that the pens could have used to set the tone early.

Don't act like the refs were trying to hand the wings the game in the end. It would have been ridiculous for them NOT to have called those two penalties in the third.

#66 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Austin @ June 10, 2009 - 04:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They did, on the other hand, give the pens an early powerplay with a horrible goaltender interference call in the first that the pens could have used to set the tone early.

Same call they made for the Wings first power play in Game 5, almost the exact same play.

#67 Austin

Austin

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Flintstone Cicarelli @ June 10, 2009 - 01:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same call they made for the Wings first power play in Game 5, almost the exact same play.

No argument there. I'm just saying for him to make it seem like the refs handed the wings the game in the end and we still didn't capitalize is ridiculous, and if anything the questionable powerplays in game six were in favor of the pens.

(Side note, and I'm not complaining, you just brought this upon yourself: Take away that penalty in game five, and we still dominated you. This was a 2-1 game that could have gone either way with a few more calls going to the wings. Just sayin'.)

#68 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Austin @ June 10, 2009 - 04:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I can't stand.. the refs didn't "give" the wings anything last night. They called a pretty dangerous cross-check and a clear high-stick.

Don't act like the refs were trying to hand the wings the game in the end. It would have been ridiculous for them NOT to have called those two penalties in the third.

The refs were running out of time and they needed to call something. A team can not go the entire game with out committing a penalty. That would look very odd. The one things that makes me mad and we will never know is. Would the wings even get a PP in the third if they tied it up at 1. We know how much the refs hate calling penalties in the 3rd unless it is blatant. They have no problem with giving them to a team that is down to tie it up though.

#69 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Austin @ June 10, 2009 - 05:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Side note, and I'm not complaining, you just brought this upon yourself: Take away that penalty in game five, and we still dominated you. This was a 2-1 game that could have gone either way with a few more calls going to the wings. Just sayin'.)

You can't really say what would have happened. The Pens unravelled and lost their cool after the 2rd goal and the result was tons of uncalled for lack of disipline penalties. The Wings scored on the resulting powerplays (or shorly thereafter). The Wings outplayed the Pens, no doubt.

#70 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (rangerfan @ June 10, 2009 - 04:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys are funny...first off I am totally aware of the fact that both the Caps and the Pens are better clubs than my Rangers and that is the reason we lost, period. But just like in the NBA where stars like Kobe, Jordan etc. get the benifit on the whistles the same thing happens in the NHL. I am a long time Hockey fan who also played the game. I also don't really care all that much who wins this series although I am routing for the Wings moreso than the Pens. IMO the officiating is slanted towards the high profile player/team. Crosby is the leagues golden child- he sells more jerseys and attract more young fans than any other player. If you don't think the NHL stands to gain by having the Pens win then you are crazy. That being said I never stated that there was a conspiracy that the league and all the officials secretly met and agreed upon this but they are all well aware of the benifits of having the Pens win and that can translate into favorable calls. I watched the Pens skate around for close to 25 seconds with 6 men, no call. how does that happen? The hit on Z last night was vicious and well after the puck was gone. Absolutly no attempt to play the puck. In my opinion the Wings have been on the short end of the stick with calls in this series. Because I played the game I also don't make excuses for losing because of bad calls. You have to factor that into your game and work your way through it. My statement remains that in addition to fighting the Pens for the cup ypu are also going to have to fight the whistle.

Translation: "I never said there was a conspiracy... but I did. I never said the refs were out to favor the Pens... but I did. I'm not rooting for either team... just one."

And you're calling us funny?

Edited by BewareThePenguin, 10 June 2009 - 04:36 PM.

"Don't think they don't cheat. It's just that we're better at cheating, that's all.''
--Dan Cleary

#71 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Austin @ June 10, 2009 - 05:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No argument there. I'm just saying for him to make it seem like the refs handed the wings the game in the end and we still didn't capitalize is ridiculous, and if anything the questionable powerplays in game six were in favor of the pens.

Pens could have gotten a few more calls as well. I think the refs did a good job last night calling 2 penalties each for both teams and just letting the two teams play more 5 on 5 and decide the game based on that. The Wings probably could have gotten more calls I wont argue there Staal tripped Helm I believe in the 2nd period, but the bottom line is like I said the chances and the opportunities for the Wings were there being on the power play 4 out of a possible 5 minutes midway through the 3rd...Fleury made some key saves and the Pens defense and penalty kill stepped up big blocking shots and not allowing the Wings to capatalize on a lot of rebounds in front of Fleury. The Wings despite some of the no-calls you talk about had their chances in the 3rd period and like I said before they didnt capatalize...

#72 rangerfan

rangerfan

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 10, 2009 - 05:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Translation: "I never said there was a conspiracy... but I did. I never said the refs were out to favor the Pens... but I did. I'm not rooting for either team... just one."

Man you are too entertaining!

Third Line Checker translation no talent meat head! You every play the game?

#73 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (esteef @ June 10, 2009 - 01:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

esteef

Detroit Free Press disagrees with you..

http://www.freep.com...hout their best
Eat it and weep Freep..

It ended in the usual, clean-cut, nothing-to-see-here NHL way. Pittsburgh’s Maxime Talbot used his stick to perform a double-bypass on Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood. The Wings decided this was involuntary surgery and objected. A scrum ensued.

Pittsburgh star Evgeni Malkin and Wings star Henrik Zetterberg, two faces of the new, no-fighting NHL, started fighting. It was a knock-down, helmets-and-jerseys-off, old-fashioned fight … but, of course, the NHL does not like old-fashioned fights anymore.

So Malkin and Zetterberg were told to sit in a corner of their locker room and think about what made them act like bad boys, and Malkin was given an instigator penalty, the NHL equivalent of “he started it!” The only problem with that is that instigator penalties in the final five minutes carry automatic one-game suspensions, because in the new NHL, fights like that are a disgrace, an embarrassment, and they distract people from appreciating the real joy of hockey: talents like Evgeni Malkin and Henrik Zetterberg.

Even Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma said of Malkin: “If he got an instigator in the last five minutes, I think there are rules that are clear.” And they are. And so the NHL quickly rescinded the suspension, which will lead roughly 47 million Wings fans to proclaim that there is a conspiracy against their team … which, of course, there is not. Malkin did not really deserve an instigator penalty. The NHL ultimately made the right call.

Conspiracies suck balls.

Next?

Edited by Shoreline, 10 June 2009 - 04:58 PM.

#74 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (esteef @ June 10, 2009 - 01:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

esteef

Even better, did Scott Niedermayer even get an instigator or suspension? (plainly pointed out he started this fight during the broadcast)

A bit of consistency here for once, and it ain't the refs. The league made the right call.

Edited by Shoreline, 10 June 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#75 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 10, 2009 - 10:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<...> Uh, I guess you missed Saturday Night's whistle party, when the Pens were called for about more penalties in one game than the Wings have been all series?<...>
And your beloved squad of assholes rightfully deserved each and every of these calls, didn't they?

#76 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (xtrememachine1 @ June 10, 2009 - 12:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep reading this "Whistle party" crap from Pens. The Pens were playing like a pack of thugs taking cheap shot after cheap shot. They deserved to be penalized. Pens fans make it out like the refs were picking on them or something. When you act like a goon, you get called. I would think playing the Flyers six times a year, you would know this already.

QFT

#77 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ June 10, 2009 - 11:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh boy... now Rangers fans showing up here to whine? Uh, I guess you missed Saturday Night's whistle party, when the Pens were called for about more penalties in one game than the Wings have been all series?

I was going to post on how stupid of a comment the bold part was but xtrememachine 1 said it perfectly:

QUOTE (xtrememachine1 @ June 10, 2009 - 12:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep reading this "Whistle party" crap from Pens. The Pens were playing like a pack of thugs taking cheap shot after cheap shot. They deserved to be penalized. Pens fans make it out like the refs were picking on them or something. When you act like a goon, you get called. I would think playing the Flyers six times a year, you would know this already.

You can make a good argument that the reffing has been bad for both teams, but the stupid play that resulted in all the game 5 penalties was obvious and makes any argument or comment that you make after it suspect.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#78 Ms_Hockey

Ms_Hockey

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

Enough with the damn conspiracies already.

The bottom line is the officiating sucks. /Thread.
QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 19, 2009 - 01:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A new Lemieux-McCarty fight, as seen by internet forum posters.

Lemieux cheapshots a player with his walker, drawing the ire of D-Mac, who hobbles over. They draw their canes, salute, and cross them, then proceed to repeatedly whack eachother over the heads while hanging onto the bench with their other hands for balance. D-Mac then hits Lemieux's hip, which gives out, Lemieux feebly falls to the ground, crumpling as D-Mac continues to land barely noticeable Yoda-esque cane strikes. Lemieux's age begins catching up to him, crying "what a world, what a world..!" as he melts into a puddle of goo.

#79 FedorovMan91

FedorovMan91

Legend

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

To Pens fans, the game 5, Pens deserved many penalties. Crosby slashed Zetterberg, Kunitz interferred the Wings, Malkin elbowed Franzen, and so many others. It is so easy to get frustrated and I believe Pens fans know penalties were deserved.

Yesterday, I think the ref made some bad calls like the first penalty. However, I think the Pens played far better than the Wings in game 6. I am the one who think the NHL has the worst referee system in professional sports. Congrats to you guys win in game 6 and let's see in game 7.
Anyone asks about the life? It is very simple. You have all or none. You have a success or failure. There can be only one winner. However, you need a failure to accomplish a success. You never look back. You only look forward. What you are doing right now for even a second or a minute shape your future. It can be deadly gloomy or very bright. Don't be frustrated by the present situation. Think positively. Good thing will happen to you soon

#80 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (FedorovMan91 @ June 10, 2009 - 03:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am the one who think the NHL has the worst referee system in professional sports.

Same.