• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Wings Troubles at the Beginning of Games

Rate this topic

Since the Columbus series, the Wings have, with a few exceptions, had trouble at getting off to good starts in games.

It seems like in every game, the first 10 minutes or so involve Ozzie getting peppered with shots from all over, and then this team eventually wakes up at some point after that. Even the 5-0 blowout in game 5 was the same way.

Bottom line, is that this team needs to come out on fire right off the bat in game 7, which is something we haven't seen much of since the 1st round. Also, we can't get into penalty trouble early on and rely on Ozzie to bail us out.

I'm tired of us giving up the first goal so much and Babcock needs to do a better job instilling urgency in his team from the beginning. I think they will since it's game 7, but then I expected them to do the same in game 6, yet this team didn't start playing until the last 10 minutes of the game.

I don't think there has been a single game the Red Wings played well before the 10 minute mark of the 1st period. Last night, they waited to the 10 minute mark of the 2nd period. Wings have had one or two games where they played to their potential, thats about it. Hopefully after Game 7 we can say they've played at least 3 games to potential.

GO WINGS.

I don't think there has been a single game the Red Wings played well before the 10 minute mark of the 1st period. Last night, they waited to the 10 minute mark of the 2nd period. Wings have had one or two games where they played to their potential, thats about it. Hopefully after Game 7 we can say they've played at least 3 games to potential.

GO WINGS.

Game 4 against Chicago is the only one I can think of.

In this series, we haven't been good in the first 10 minutes of any game. Too many chances given up against Ozzie, even when we've been able to do things on the scoring department.

Game 4 against Chicago is the only one I can think of.

In this series, we haven't been good in the first 10 minutes of any game. Too many chances given up against Ozzie, even when we've been able to do things on the scoring department.

I think they are a little too careful and playing a little too timid. They need to be a little more aggressive but under control. Take the game to them, instead of the other way around.

I've noticed this too. They have the tendency to do this hot n' cold thing and sometimes it costs them the game. Especially when you only turn the heat on during the the last 10-15 mins of the third. But then, they played like they were panicked and that's what it looked liked to me, atleast during the end of last night's game. They couldn't seem to get the puck in their control and settle it down.

I hope we see them come out on fire in the beggining of game 7 but at the same time I don't want them to burn themselves out before the third, which I believe has happened to them before.

Last season since the start of the 2nd round: the Wings scored first in 9 games out of 16 games. This season since the start of the 2nd round: the Wings scored first in 7 times out of 18 games. The previous season, we scored the early goal and kept the lead. This playoff, we trail back and chase the opponent. The stat is meaningless but we really have to score first on friday because if we trail back again, the Wings will be in a big hole

Its honestly amazing that this team has made it this far, and through over 100 games of NHL hockey, have had only a handful of games where they played to their potential, and only about 10-12 where they've played at 80% or above.

I don't mind them "weathering the storm" so to speak as long as they stay poised and don't allow a goal but for god's sake once that initial surge by the opposition let's up, give it back to them in spades.

In game 7 please pass tape to tape, not tape to penguin... do that and it will be closer to game 5 then game 6 and #5 will get #5

I don't mind them "weathering the storm" so to speak as long as they stay poised and don't allow a goal but for god's sake once that initial surge by the opposition let's up, give it back to them in spades.

In game 7 please pass tape to tape, not tape to penguin... do that and it will be closer to game 5 then game 6 and #5 will get #5

I'll mind.

We're at home with the Cup on the line. Let's see the Pens weather the storm for once in this series.

If I'm not mistaken, the last five game 7's in the SCF all had the home team go up 2-0 at one point.

Let's hope we see the same tonight.

Did I say tonight? I meant Friday night. See, I'm already in non-sleep mode.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I've seen this as well, and it's been driving me f***in crazy. games 3,4, and 6 have all been the same thing: suck early, surge late. unfortunately in those cases, the surge was too late. If we fall behind 2-0 in the first two periods, this thing is over. we NEED to get the early lead.

I don't get it at all. It's like they have to actually get emotionally invested in the game or something bad has to happen to wake them up.

You'd think how much is on the line in the Stanley Cup Finals you'd find that urgency in every shift, but they always seem tentative until they "warm up"

I agree 100% with this thread. Can you believe that Game 1 is the only game where we've score the first goal? Not good enough, needs to change tomorrow. We can't afford another sluggish start because this time it'll kill us.

I agree its been one of our terrible weaknesses all series (playoffs even).

Without fail we have a slow ten minutes to begin every game. Luckily Ozzy has been there to save the day. Can't keep putting the pressure on him all the time though.

Maybe they know that they will dominate the second half of the game and want to make sure Ozzie feels like hes earning his pay? :lol:

But seriously I have no idea what it is about the starts of games for this team. Hopefully that changes in game 7.

I agree 100% with this thread. Can you believe that Game 1 is the only game where we've score the first goal? Not good enough, needs to change tomorrow. We can't afford another sluggish start because this time it'll kill us.

I might just be misunderstanding you, but what about game 5?

I kinda see some comparisons with the Lakers and the Wings. They are the teams that are favored to win, but they go through these spells where they just look awful. Then when people to start to panic they seem to pull out the victory. It's almost like they don't play to their potential unless the series is really on the line.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

Part of the reason is Bylsma starts most games with Crosby and Malkin taking a couple shifts together -- which means the Wings have to focus on covering both at once.

Edited by egroen

I might just be misunderstanding you, but what about game 5?

I kinda see some comparisons with the Lakers and the Wings. They are the teams that are favored to win, but they go through these spells where they just look awful. Then when people to start to panic they seem to pull out the victory. It's almost like they don't play to their potential unless the series is really on the line.

Oops my bad, given Osgood had a shutout I'd say we probably scored first. :P

perhaps we are looking at it wrong with.

if over the season 93% of the games we say are played "below their potential" and thats the majority of the games played... doesn't that in fact mean that those games are the Norm and thus their potentional?

then the other 7% is them playing above the Norm...above their potential

just saying!