• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MississippiWing

Win This One For....

Rate this topic

Win it for our guys who are sitting on the sidelines because they strove for the best and sacrificed for this team to get to where we are tonight!

Lilja, Kopecky, and the guys like Nick and Pav who are battling through injuries to scrape and earn the very last win of the 2008/2009 season.

Win it for Kenny, who's done the best he can to keep the core of this fantastic team in tact.

Win it for those bastards who all say you're too old too! :P

Win this one for...

...Detroit. The city needs something to celebrate.

...the guys who may not be back next season. Let them leave as champions.

...everyone who said the Wings were too old or slow. This will shut them up.

...Gary Bettman. The look on his face as he hands the Cup to Nicklas Lidstrom and not Cindy Crybaby will be priceless.

...your fans. We don't want to live in a world where Cindy is a Stanley Cup Champion.

....yourselves. You've worked hard all season and you deserve it.

(And now I'm going to be selfish)

...my dad, who finally gave up on the Islanders this season and became a Wings fan. (I had nothing to do with that. I swear. ;) ) His birthday is next week, and I'd love to give him a Stanley Cup Champions shirt & hat as a birthday present.

...my mom, who has been putting up with the insanity of my dad and I during the playoffs.

...me, because I want to celebrate, drink, dance, and sing "We Are the Champions". Again.

Win this one for the fans!

Not just any fans. No, win this one for the Octopus People. Win it for those who not only shell out money for tickets, parking, food, beverage and souveniers, but also for a slimy lump of seaflesh, and then risk it all for one moment of devoted greatness.

How many opposing teams have fallen from the Curse of the Octopus because one of their players dared to raise his finger to the Great Tradition that is ours and ours alone? Someone had to toss the 'pus. Someone had to buy, boil, bag, secret, smuggle, wait, and finally throoooooooow that suckered glob onto the ice at just the right time.

Sure, there are other reasons to win the Cup: personal satisfaction, pride from family and province (where applicable), giving the city a much-needed boost... the list goes on.

But no one outside of the players, owners, and staff gives and risks as much for the team as those who selflessly add to the spectacle. Win it for them: the guys with beerguts who forgo vanity and add extra inches to their girth; the gals who smuggle it in their undies unconcerned that the smell might kill the mood for post-game activities, and their astute men who don't mention that the aroma is an improvement. They are the unsung heros of the Joe.

When the Cup has been awarded, the team has skated, and the zamboni makes its final pass over the hallowed ice of the Joe, we must not leave our heros stranded in their seats forlornly cluching their reeking totes of unflung octopi. They deserve better. The Wings must prevail.

Win it for the Octopus People!

...all the kids who ever have and still to this very day find themselves on the pond or blocking off their street, to play out game 7 "red wings" scenarios against their neighborhood friends.

i can't begin to tell you how many faux lord stanley's i've witnessed and been a part of over the years. anything from an empty milk carton in the earliest years to empty ten gallon drums and the like as each winter passed.

The Illitchs have lowered ticket prices constantly over the last couple seasons, but as a business, as great as they are, they can't afford to just give away a lot of tickets. Glad there are more trolls....

You're wrong, yooper. After the lockout, teams around the NHL dropped their ticket prices to bring fans back. All except for Ilitch. Ticket prices have stayed relatively flat the last few years, but they have not gone down. The team payroll, however, has gone down. So has the average wage earned by metro Detroiters.

It's not just limited to the Wings franchise. This past winter, during the worst economic period in SE Michigan, Ilitch raised the prices for Tigers tickets across the board. Five years ago, I could sit in the outfield bleachers for $5. Now, those same tickets cost $19.

Don't believe me? The Detroit news papers comment on this trend all the time. Michael Rosenberg of the Free Press had this to say, a couple years back:

"I don't blame people for staying home. People can spend their money however they'd like. It is just too bad that Mike Ilitch has chosen to alienate his fan base like this, by acting like the economy is still thriving and the Wings are still the only winner in town.

In the last few years, we have seen the state unemployment rate rise, the Pistons become one of the best franchises in sports, the Tigers make the World Series, Steve Yzerman retire and the Wings payroll drop from almost $78 million in 2004 to $44 million this year. Yet the Wings expect fans to open the checkbook as they did in 2002.

Playoff ticket prices have dropped 10% from their peak, but they remain too high.

The Wings have clearly misjudged the market. And it's sad, because - all kidding aside - I think a lot of people would jump on this bandwagon if the prices were reasonable."

Mike Ilitch is listed as being worth $1.6 billion. He wants to win, alright...but not for any of the reasons listed in this thread.

Edited by Mister Puck

Win it so I don't have to look at the commercials w/Cindy for the next year+!!!

Just a heads up, you will anyway. See Versus 2008 Game 5 commercial and Center Ice commerical with Crosby scoring on us for reference.

I have a hard time criticizing the frozen picture one though, I thought that was well done.

Guest micah

Win it for Brad Norton. Though he isn't with the club anymore, his drive and heart remain. He is the one reason the Wings are where they are today. Without his influnce, they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Win it for the hard hit state of Michigan. Lots of Wings fans are hurting and this is just a little boost. Win it because on the Pens message boards they actually make fun of all these hurting families. Go Wings and Go Michigan (I'm from Montreal).

Also...

Win it for the Hoss (who has been playing his heart out) and for Conks( who has been a great supporter at the end of the bench).

Go Wings and Go Michigan!!

The Illitchs have lowered ticket prices constantly over the last couple seasons, but as a business, as great as they are, they can't afford to just give away a lot of tickets. Glad there are more trolls....

lol lowered them to who?

The Season of Red Wing ticket-Pricing Illusions

sure they gave Discounts to season ticket holders... but to say the tickets lowered over the last few years are way off from reality

If anything another cup win will increase the prices....

but they should still win because well they should! and i wouldn't want them to feel responsible for all the suicides people have been saying they are going to commit if they lose.... albeit it would be good for the survival of the fittest(smartest)

Edited by OsGOD

- Win it for Mr Hockey who's been having probably the worst year of his life without his wife.

- Win it for Hossa who cares more about the Cup than money and proved it.

- Win it for Ozzie who can silence his critics with another Cup to his resume.

- Win it for the city of Detroit that needs something to get their minds off of the economy

- Win it for yourselves because you deserve it

:champs:

Win this one for the fans!

Not just any fans. No, win this one for the Octopus People. Win it for those who not only shell out money for tickets, parking, food, beverage and souveniers, but also for a slimy lump of seaflesh, and then risk it all for one moment of devoted greatness.

How many opposing teams have fallen from the Curse of the Octopus because one of their players dared to raise his finger to the Great Tradition that is ours and ours alone? Someone had to toss the 'pus. Someone had to buy, boil, bag, secret, smuggle, wait, and finally throoooooooow that suckered glob onto the ice at just the right time.

Sure, there are other reasons to win the Cup: personal satisfaction, pride from family and province (where applicable), giving the city a much-needed boost... the list goes on.

But no one outside of the players, owners, and staff gives and risks as much for the team as those who selflessly add to the spectacle. Win it for them: the guys with beerguts who forgo vanity and add extra inches to their girth; the gals who smuggle it in their undies unconcerned that the smell might kill the mood for post-game activities, and their astute men who don't mention that the aroma is an improvement. They are the unsung heros of the Joe.

When the Cup has been awarded, the team has skated, and the zamboni makes its final pass over the hallowed ice of the Joe, we must not leave our heros stranded in their seats forlornly cluching their reeking totes of unflung octopi. They deserve better. The Wings must prevail.

Win it for the Octopus People!

LMAO THIS^^

You're kidding right? I know a good bit of unemployed people around here, and the last thing they were scraping up money for was one of Illitch's over-priced tickets. Seriously, that's a pretty ridiculous statement right there.

If the Red Wings organization gave a damn about the people of Detroit, they would have lowered ticket prices in light of Michigan's economy, and maybe they would have given away some tickets to all those "unemployed fans". They didn't do either.

You suck.

You're wrong, yooper. After the lockout, teams around the NHL dropped their ticket prices to bring fans back. All except for Ilitch. Ticket prices have stayed relatively flat the last few years, but they have not gone down. The team payroll, however, has gone down. So has the average wage earned by metro Detroiters.

It's not just limited to the Wings franchise. This past winter, during the worst economic period in SE Michigan, Ilitch raised the prices for Tigers tickets across the board. Five years ago, I could sit in the outfield bleachers for $5. Now, those same tickets cost $19.

Don't believe me? The Detroit news papers comment on this trend all the time. Michael Rosenberg of the Free Press had this to say, a couple years back:

"I don't blame people for staying home. People can spend their money however they'd like. It is just too bad that Mike Ilitch has chosen to alienate his fan base like this, by acting like the economy is still thriving and the Wings are still the only winner in town.

In the last few years, we have seen the state unemployment rate rise, the Pistons become one of the best franchises in sports, the Tigers make the World Series, Steve Yzerman retire and the Wings payroll drop from almost $78 million in 2004 to $44 million this year. Yet the Wings expect fans to open the checkbook as they did in 2002.

Playoff ticket prices have dropped 10% from their peak, but they remain too high.

The Wings have clearly misjudged the market. And it's sad, because - all kidding aside - I think a lot of people would jump on this bandwagon if the prices were reasonable."

Mike Ilitch is listed as being worth $1.6 billion. He wants to win, alright...but not for any of the reasons listed in this thread.

f_258Trollsprm_2ccc2b2.jpg

Tazke your negativity elsewhere you nasty pig.