Everyone who does not support you
Coming soon: A better signature

#23 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

Win it for my grandma who passed away but who taught me to love the Detroit Red Wings.

#24 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:01 AM

My grandmother passed away earlier this year. She was a diehard Wings fan all her life, and stuck with the team through thick and thin. Even when she was bedridden for the last couple months, she still followed the Wings. Alot of my love for the team came from her.

I can all but guarantee she'll be watching this one somewhere
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#25 Boogedy

Boogedy

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

Win it for my dad, who reminds me on a daily basis that Gary Bettman is a d-bag.

#26 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

Win it for our guys who are sitting on the sidelines because they strove for the best and sacrificed for this team to get to where we are tonight!

Lilja, Kopecky, and the guys like Nick and Pav who are battling through injuries to scrape and earn the very last win of the 2008/2009 season.

Win it for Kenny, who's done the best he can to keep the core of this fantastic team in tact.

Win it for those bastards who all say you're too old too! tongue.gif

#27 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

Win it for Hossa.

#28 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

Win it so I can party damnit

Also win it so I don't feel like stabbing myself all day saturday, or all damn offseason when I see those damn penguin win the cup commercials.

#29 WingsFanInNJ

WingsFanInNJ

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:37 AM

Win this one for...

...Detroit. The city needs something to celebrate.
...the guys who may not be back next season. Let them leave as champions.
...everyone who said the Wings were too old or slow. This will shut them up.
...Gary Bettman. The look on his face as he hands the Cup to Nicklas Lidstrom and not Cindy Crybaby will be priceless.
...your fans. We don't want to live in a world where Cindy is a Stanley Cup Champion.
....yourselves. You've worked hard all season and you deserve it.

(And now I'm going to be selfish)

...my dad, who finally gave up on the Islanders this season and became a Wings fan. (I had nothing to do with that. I swear. wink.gif ) His birthday is next week, and I'd love to give him a Stanley Cup Champions shirt & hat as a birthday present.
...my mom, who has been putting up with the insanity of my dad and I during the playoffs.
...me, because I want to celebrate, drink, dance, and sing "We Are the Champions". Again.

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

Win this one for the fans!
Not just any fans. No, win this one for the Octopus People. Win it for those who not only shell out money for tickets, parking, food, beverage and souveniers, but also for a slimy lump of seaflesh, and then risk it all for one moment of devoted greatness.

How many opposing teams have fallen from the Curse of the Octopus because one of their players dared to raise his finger to the Great Tradition that is ours and ours alone? Someone had to toss the 'pus. Someone had to buy, boil, bag, secret, smuggle, wait, and finally throoooooooow that suckered glob onto the ice at just the right time.

Sure, there are other reasons to win the Cup: personal satisfaction, pride from family and province (where applicable), giving the city a much-needed boost... the list goes on.

But no one outside of the players, owners, and staff gives and risks as much for the team as those who selflessly add to the spectacle. Win it for them: the guys with beerguts who forgo vanity and add extra inches to their girth; the gals who smuggle it in their undies unconcerned that the smell might kill the mood for post-game activities, and their astute men who don't mention that the aroma is an improvement. They are the unsung heros of the Joe.

When the Cup has been awarded, the team has skated, and the zamboni makes its final pass over the hallowed ice of the Joe, we must not leave our heros stranded in their seats forlornly cluching their reeking totes of unflung octopi. They deserve better. The Wings must prevail.

Win it for the Octopus People!

#31 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

...all the kids who ever have and still to this very day find themselves on the pond or blocking off their street, to play out game 7 "red wings" scenarios against their neighborhood friends.

i can't begin to tell you how many faux lord stanley's i've witnessed and been a part of over the years. anything from an empty milk carton in the earliest years to empty ten gallon drums and the like as each winter passed.
IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#32 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

for my wife who had surgery yesterday.. we'll be watching tonight.. GO WINGS! A cup win is the best medicine!
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 Mister Puck

Mister Puck

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (b.shanafan14 @ June 11, 2009 - 11:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Illitchs have lowered ticket prices constantly over the last couple seasons, but as a business, as great as they are, they can't afford to just give away a lot of tickets. Glad there are more trolls....

You're wrong, yooper. After the lockout, teams around the NHL dropped their ticket prices to bring fans back. All except for Ilitch. Ticket prices have stayed relatively flat the last few years, but they have not gone down. The team payroll, however, has gone down. So has the average wage earned by metro Detroiters.

It's not just limited to the Wings franchise. This past winter, during the worst economic period in SE Michigan, Ilitch raised the prices for Tigers tickets across the board. Five years ago, I could sit in the outfield bleachers for $5. Now, those same tickets cost $19.

Don't believe me? The Detroit news papers comment on this trend all the time. Michael Rosenberg of the Free Press had this to say, a couple years back:

"I don't blame people for staying home. People can spend their money however they'd like. It is just too bad that Mike Ilitch has chosen to alienate his fan base like this, by acting like the economy is still thriving and the Wings are still the only winner in town.

In the last few years, we have seen the state unemployment rate rise, the Pistons become one of the best franchises in sports, the Tigers make the World Series, Steve Yzerman retire and the Wings payroll drop from almost $78 million in 2004 to $44 million this year. Yet the Wings expect fans to open the checkbook as they did in 2002.

Playoff ticket prices have dropped 10% from their peak, but they remain too high.

The Wings have clearly misjudged the market. And it's sad, because - all kidding aside - I think a lot of people would jump on this bandwagon if the prices were reasonable."

Mike Ilitch is listed as being worth $1.6 billion. He wants to win, alright...but not for any of the reasons listed in this thread.

Edited by Mister Puck, 12 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#34 Dustywt4

Dustywt4

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

Win this for Dr. Rahmani.

#35 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Win it so I don't have to look at the commercials w/Cindy for the next year+!!!

- LT

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (ltgator333 @ June 12, 2009 - 08:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As opposed to this year?

#37 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (ltgator333 @ June 12, 2009 - 09:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a heads up, you will anyway. See Versus 2008 Game 5 commercial and Center Ice commerical with Crosby scoring on us for reference.

I have a hard time criticizing the frozen picture one though, I thought that was well done.

#38 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

Win it for Brad Norton. Though he isn't with the club anymore, his drive and heart remain. He is the one reason the Wings are where they are today. Without his influnce, they wouldn't have made the playoffs.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#39 brandanomano

brandanomano

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

Win this one for all of the NHL fans who don't buy into the Crosby/Malkin garbage!

#40 bellarina

bellarina

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

Win it for the hard hit state of Michigan. Lots of Wings fans are hurting and this is just a little boost. Win it because on the Pens message boards they actually make fun of all these hurting families. Go Wings and Go Michigan (I'm from Montreal).

Also...
Win it for the Hoss (who has been playing his heart out) and for Conks( who has been a great supporter at the end of the bench).

Go Wings and Go Michigan!!
com mas bacalhao filho!
CR 7