• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DSM

Marian Hossa, merged

Rate this topic

You really do think you're better than all the rest of us huh?

I'm guessing you really aren't a Wings fan at all and are, in fact, a Penguins fan trying to provoke people.

Better? definitely not........More logical?.......Perhaps

Let me see, where do I start? The Deadmarsch play.....yea, great initial save I believe it was on Stumpl.........but a horrible rebound. Not disputing that Ozzie had a steller playoffs this year, but I won't concede that they were any better than last season. You spout off all these assertions about what Holland and Bowman said, but the fact of the matter is that, according to you, the Wings released their "playoff MVP" after the 2001 season. If he was truly that good, I don't think it would have happened. And, I've never said that I found Ozzie deficient....in fact he's been stellar when it counts since his return to the wings. My original post was that, before the playoffs, that of the offense, defense and goaltending, the weakest link of the three heading into the playoffs was goaltending. Thats not hating, and its not saying that we had poor goaltending........it's just saying that I thought we had superior offense and defense and that I thought our goaltending was just a notch below. You guys saying that you "knew" that Ozzie would step up because he always has, that just isn't true. I guess you could have based that on the fact that he had such a stellar playoff season in 2008, but the same could have been said about Hossa this year. And, unfortunately, we all know how that turned out. Does that make me a hater?

The goaltenders job, as ANY hockey man will tell you, is to STOP THE INITIAL SHOT. Anything after that? It's a CRAP SHOOT, and a bonus. Especially on an odd man rush. Period. Not to mention the fact that that GWOTG was scored by a confirmed Wings killer, (whose name you've repeatedly misspelled, by the way.....).

And Osgood WAS better this year. There were MANY games this PS where the Wings had no business being in early, and Oz was the ONLY reason they weren't down by 2 or 3 goals after the FIRST PERIOD. To argue that he wasn't "any better" is both asinine AND disingenuous. (Not surprisingly).

Not for nothin', but the Wings "released" Osgood for a six time Vezina Winner. As Draper was quoted as saying, at the time.....

"Look who it took to replace him. That's no knock on Chris Osgood."

And finally.....

Yes. Some of us JUST KNEW. It's a fact. Whether YOU would like to believe it or not is quite irrelevant, really. And for you to state that it's "not true" that we knew, based on nothing more than our gut feeling after watching the guy for nearly TWO DECADES, is more of the smarmy, overly aggressive arrogance you display in every one of your posts. Some of us JUST KNEW. HOW did we know....? Well....now that's another question, entirely. Isn't it?

How do YOU know that you will wake up tomorrow and your house will be in the same spot it occupied when you went to sleep the night before? Do you have proof? Statistical evidence to back it up?

How do you "know" that you're going to love your children tomorrow? Facts? "Numbers"?

Or do you just "know", based on years, and years, and years of historical evidence in support of the repetitive nature of that occurence?

None of what you write makes you a "hater". That lies in what is BEHIND what you write. It kinda peeks through, from time to time, (quite often, in fact), before trying to disguise itself as "logic" or "facts" or pseudo-objectivity again.

It's kind of "catty", actually. Kinda like how women "compliment" each other:

"Wow....you're BEAUTIFUL for a big girl!" or

"I could NEVER pull off an outfit that slutty." or

"You look GREAT for your age."

It's not even remotely subtle, to be quite honest with you.

Either kill the personal attacks/insults or I'll kill this thread and, if need be, the posting privileges of certain accounts.

I understand that emotions are running high right now, but let's not let the conversation nosedive further.

Thanks.

Actually, that would be 12 out of 13 (11 to even concede the Kings series despite the fact that he was run out of town by the same knee-jerk attitude displayed here, which was then amended when he re-signed with the Wings), and even Patrick Roy had that one or two off years. By your extreme-fancying rationales, a player must be perfect or he's the weakest link. <- This rationale is ******* stupid.

And since all you have is to compare NHL Center Ice and "years you've been a fan", that pretty much shows who's the real idiot here. You're way overmatched here, bub.

I live 1000 miles from Detroit, and I'd bet I've been to as many NHL games as you have. And, Im none of your "bubs".....as far as me being overmatched, find some original material BUB. You say his being run out of town was amended when he returned.......I guess if in your mind being brought back at a bargain salary to be a back up makes up for being run out of town, so be it............but my rationale is based on logic and facts........yours is based on opinion and being an Ozzie nuthugger.

Either kill the personal attacks/insults or I'll kill this thread and, if need be, the posting privileges of certain accounts.

I understand that emotions are running high right now, but let's not let the conversation nosedive further.

Thanks.

OK....im done. Thanks for the forum Matt, it's the best.

Anyway, moving on......

If Hossa is willing to come back for a significant pay deduction (say $3 million a year cap hit per year or less), I would seriously consider resigning him. However, if that's the offer and there is any hesistation, I'd stop it right then and there.

Hossa is a great regular season player, but the Wings have some serious depth coming up through the system. It's not worth sacrificing future depth for the here and now with this roster anymore. The time for that is quickly passing us by and it's time to look towards the future.

After Hasek left, instead of trying to reacquire Ozzie, they chose to go with Cujo. And after that experiement, once again instead of trying to reacquire Ozzie, management thought that Legace was the answer. Looks like I'm not the only one who thought that Ozzie has at times been average in his playoff career.

OOOOHHH! MORE fun....

After Hasek left, Osgood was under contract to the NYI, had just led them to the Post Season for the first time in 7 years, and was named Team MVP at the end of the year. Cujo, on the other hand, was an UFA, looking for an easy shot at the Cup he couldn't get CLOSE TO anywhere else.

Once the lockout was over, after Cujo had been jettisoned, Osgood WAS signed by Detroit....and while SOME OF YOU refuse to remember the ACTUAL FACTS, choosing to rely on "revisionist history":

Osgood was brought back to ostensibly COMPETE with Legace for the #1 spot. If you'll go back to coverage AT THE TIME it was generally accepted that Osgood would win that "competition" in a WALK, and that the ONLY reason that it was only being CALLED a "competition" was as a nod to Legace's MANY YEARS of loyal service as a backup, without having ever been given a shot at the #1 spot.

Osgood was INJURED, TWO DAYS INTO TRAINING CAMP that year, and was relegated to the bench for the first MONTH of the regular Season, as a result.

Meanwhile, Babcock, in his first year as "BOSS" of the Wings, decided to put his "stamp" on the Team by naming Legace the "Starter" while Osgood was still down in Grand Rapids on his conditioning stint, and before he'd had a single chance to hit the ice in a game for the Wings that Season. The "competition" ENDED before ONE of the two "competitors" had a single chance to make a case for the spot.

We all SAW how that turned out, didn't we?

I think THAT, more than anything, was a mistake that Babcock KNEW he made. More than ANY since he came over from Anaheim.

And THAT is why he did NOT stick his foot into the SAME bear trap THIS Post Season, depsite how poorly Osgood's REGULAR SEASON went.

LESSON LEARNED. STICK WITH YOUR STARTER. Your BACK UP is a CAREER BACK UP for a REASON.

Edited by Outsider

If Hossa is willing to come back for a significant pay deduction (say $3 million a year cap hit per year or less), I would seriously consider resigning him. However, if that's the offer and there is any hesistation, I'd stop it right then and there.

I agree. Hossa can shut everyone up by signing a 2 yr contract or something for about this amount. Allowing us to keep Sammy, Hudler, etc.

A short term window of commitment to this team to win the Cup. Demonstrate loyalty and his willingness to take less money to win the Cup. (And an admission that he overcharged the Wings this year for his services at 7.45 mill, Lidstrom numbers, which was more than what Dats and Z was getting :angry: )

Guest Sid the Kid

Talbot-raising-Cup.jpg

Jun 13 2009

Thank you, Marian Hossa

By Bob Smizik |

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bo...ik/default.aspx

There is nothing in sports -- nothing -- that can match the hoisting of the Stanley Cup.

So there were the Penguins in this incredible, almost unimaginable season out there on the ice of Joe Louis Arena raising the most cherished trophy in all of team sports after winning Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final over the Detroit Red Wings, 2-1.

First Sidney Crosby -- the youngest captain ever to do so -- holding that fabled jug over his head; then Bill Guerin, then Sergei Gonchar . . . and, finally, the finest moment of it all -- Mario Lemieux.

The torch has been passed. From Lemieux, the heart and soul of this franchise, to a new generation of wondrous talent.

Let the dynasty talk begin. And, yes, a dynasty is in the offing.

Jordan Staal, 20; Sidney Crosby, 21; Evgeni Malkin -- the Conn Smythe Trophy winner -- 22; Marc-Andre Fleury 24. There will be more Cups for this group.

Let’s not forget Dan Bylsma, 38, the coach who brought it about, and Ray Shero, 46, the general manager who put it all together.

And, finally, a special nod to Marian Hossa, 30, the man who made it possible.

Bear with me on this one.

Hossa is the man who turned his back on a lucrative contract offer from the Penguins -- seven years $49 million -- after last season to sign with the Red Wings for one year $7.4 million. It was fiscal idiocy but Hossa had his reasons. The Red Wings, he believed, gave him the best chance to win the Cup.

Forget for a second that Hossa skated off the ice last night not just a post-season flop and a bit of a fool but rather as the ignition switch on this fabulous turn of events.

If Hossa signed with the Penguins, not only would the franchise not have had the salary cap room to sign other important players but -- and as much as his legion of detractors won’t like this -- the Penguins are a better regular-season team with him. Face it, Hossa is a terrific player -- in the regular season -- and there is little doubt the Penguins would not have been floundering in mid-February if he were on the team.

Which means Shero would not have pulled the trigger and fired coach Michel Therrien and replaced him with Bylsma. And if that didn’t happen this team never would have got to Detroit. The change of coaches is what brought about this remarkable turnaround -- from 10th place in the Eastern Conference to Stanley Cup champion -- and Hossa made that possible.

This victory means so much. It shuts up -- once and for all -- the ridiculous critics of Fleury, who put the absurd demand of perfection on him. Fleury -- and his teammates -- held the mighty Red Wings to a total of two goals in the final two games. If that were not enough, he snuffed out two Detroit chances -- one that had the look of a game-tying goal off the stick of future Hall of Fame defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom -- in the final few seconds. The save on Lidstrom was, as one commented posted on this blog, the Immaculate Rejection.

Fleury didn’t win the Conn Smythe, but if he had no one could have argued.

Max Talbot didn’t win it either, but he carved his name in Penguins history in such a way that it never will be forgotten. Talbot scored both goals for the Penguins. It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Most remarkably, the Penguins won without a point from Crosby, who was injured in the second period and took only one more shift after that. He will have his critics -- the same loudmouths who rejoiced in finding fault with Fleury -- but Detroit coach Mike Babcock said it best about Crosby when -- in that other great hockey tradition, the post-game handshake -- he congratulated the captain on his leadership.

He’s only 21, a kid, but he sets the tone for what is the best hockey team in the world. If he doesn’t score a point, his contributions are immense.

The Penguins lost the first two games of this best-of-seven series, which meant they had to do the impossible and beat the great Red Wings four out of five. And that’s what they did.

It was the third Stanley Cup for the franchise, and with all respect to Lemieux and that legendary list of Hall of Famers who were his teammates in 1991 and 1992, this was the best of the bunch.

This one was unexpected, almost totally, and oh, so sweet.

So we’ll say it one more time: Thank you, Marian Hossa.

Guest Shoreline

Does this mean the Pens are going to petition Hossa for his name on the cup for this act of kindness?

Don't you have other teenagers to go pop your zits with?

Come ON....

There have to be at least a FEW bandwagon, didn't-know-the-Pens-existed-until-two-years-ago types around SOMEWHERE!

What is your problem? Are you honestly that ignorant, self-centered, and bored? Get off the forums, your team won the Cup- that's it, now leave.

LOL....

No worries.

This is nothing more than a fan emulating the class and dignity of the team in general, nad the captain in particular, that they support.

It's rather fitting, actually.

Do you honestly expect children to conduct themselves any better than "neener neener neener!"?

Detroit coach Mike Babcock said it best about Crosby when -- in that other great hockey tradition, the post-game handshake -- he congratulated the captain on his leadership.

Sarcasm? I think so. Maybe it was pressure from Gary Buttman to say something nice.

As for the dynasty comment...They got a long way to go before you can even start whispers with that word.

Let the dynasty talk begin. And, yes, a dynasty is in the offing.

Yes, yes.....

Let the dynasty talk begin.

By all means. After ONE Cup, and Won in such a dominating fashion, too.....

Hopefully the Penguins won't have to fire their Head Coach and trade for 4 or 5 Players at the deadline just to make the Play Offs again NEXT year, too....

Dynasty?

Arrogant prick, that writer is.

Try DEFENDING ONCE first, genius.

You actually had the gall to post this without being EMBARASSED by the jizz spume this tool wrote?

And for a publication the people actually READ, too....????

Wow. Just wow.

Edited by Outsider

LOL....

No worries.

This is nothing more than a fan emulating the class and dignity of the team in general, nad the captain in particular, that they support.

It's rather fitting, actually.

Do you honestly expect children to conduct themselves any better than "neener neener neener!"?

I have to say......

Yes, yes.....

Let the dynasty talk begin.

By all means. After ONE Cup, and Won in such a dominating fashion, too.....

Hopefully the Penguins won't have to fire their Head Coach and trade for 4 or 5 Players at the deadline just to make the Play Offs NEXT year, too....

Dynasty?

Arrogant prick, that writer is.

Try DEFENDING ONCE first, genius.

You actually had the gall to post this without being EMBARASSED by the jizz spume this tool wrote?

And for a publication the people actually READ, too....????

Wow. Just wow.

I have not agreed with you on much today, but your on the friggin money here!!!