• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vangvace

The injury thread

Rate this topic

Forget injuries. They just didn't want it bad enough. Didn't put in enough effort to win it. On to next season.

I'm more just curious. The offseason is when the veil gets lifted a little bit and we learn that a "lower body injury" can mean anything from a broken foot to dislocated shoulder.

Mickey Redmond didn't come out and say the injuries but he mentioned the following players were very banged up:

Holmstrom

Cleary

Draper

Datsyuk

Lidstrom

Rafalski

He said none of them would even be playing if it weren't for the WCF.

I will be very interested to see what all of the injuries were.

datsyuk played the last two games when we only scored 2 goals?

hmm

Thanks to his defensive efforts Malkin who single handedly held down the fort for the Pens in the first 4 games was reduced to being a non-factor, much like last year. I think its a fair excuse, though an excuse none the less. If the Wings truly deserved the cup they'd have won tonight's game or game 6, but instead Pittsburgh role players and depth stepped up which is what great teams do.

No need to downplay such talk though, this board is a catharsis to a lot of grieving fans at the moment which I find understandable. Wings had a come back you could write a movie based on in their grasp.

Over at mlive, they mentioned something about Zetterberg having something up with his wrist or hand. Apparently, he has been wearing a different glove on one hand since the WCF.

The more I hear about the injuries the Wings had the more impressed I am that they made it as far as they did.

Crosby has a hurt mangina

but he was still able to lift that 35lb cup just fine

and i think i saw that Hossa has a bruised ego... he said he would be willing to work next year on a $1 salary like the CEO of Chrysler

Edited by OsGOD

Mickey Redmond didn't come out and say the injuries but he mentioned the following players were very banged up:

Holmstrom

Cleary

Draper

Datsyuk

Lidstrom

Rafalski

He said none of them would even be playing if it weren't for the WCF.

I will be very interested to see what all of the injuries were.

Have to agree, there was way too much injury this year. Most teams would have bowed out a long time ago from the quality losses we suffered. I think they played pretty hard considering what I am GUESSING to be some terrible injuries to fight through.

I know there was a topic on this earlier, but here is confirmation from the Freep

While teammates played Game 4 against Chicago, Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom was undergoing surgery after getting speared in the testicles by Patrick Sharp in Game 3.

Have to agree, there was way too much injury this year. Most teams would have bowed out a long time ago from the quality losses we suffered. I think they played pretty hard considering what I am GUESSING to be some terrible injuries to fight through.

Don't you think a lot of the Penguins were playing with some bad injuries too?

I have a great deal of respect for all of these players. Some of these injuries are crazy.

With the playoffs over, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland shed some light Saturday on the team's key injuries:

-- Pavel Datsyuk also had a charley horse, in addition to his foot injury. Both were sustained in Game 2 vs. Chicago. Holland said the foot was not fractured and it was fine by the time he returned, but the charley horse, similar to the injury Datsyuk suffered prior to the 2006 playoffs, really hampered him.

"He didn't have that jump, he definitely was not 100 percent but he had the hands and the hockey sense,'' Holland said. "He wanted to play so bad.''

Holland said if it was the regular season Datsyuk, who missed seven games before returning for Game 5 of the finals, would have sat out at least two more weeks.

-- Brian Rafalski had a herniated disc in his back, a freak thing that happened between the first and second rounds when he was just getting out of his car. He missed the first five games of the Anaheim series.

"He was never 100 percent,'' Holland said. "In the regular season he would have left him out another two weeks.''

-- Dan Cleary had a severe groin pull, so much so the the club didn't think he would play in Game 5 of the finals, but he gutted it out.

-- Nicklas Lidstrom had a groin injury after getting speared in Game 3 vs. Chicago.

"We rushed them all back when we knew there wasn't any danger of them hurting themselves any further,'' Holland said.

Holland said those were the only significant injuries sustained during the playoffs. None will require surgery.

MLive

Edited by Mike