• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vangvace

The injury thread

Rate this topic

Thinking about it, our top 2 defensemen were playing injured.

That's pretty much impossible to win a series without your top 2 D. We can't blame the wings.

Yes we can. The d wasn't really the problem. We had 2 games to take the cup and our offense didn't show up. 1 goal 2 games in a row is unacceptable with all the offensive firepower we have. Not the D's fault, or ozzie's fault. The forwards didn't show up to play end of story.

Mickey Redmond didn't come out and say the injuries but he mentioned the following players were very banged up:

Holmstrom

Cleary

Draper

Datsyuk

Lidstrom

Rafalski

He said none of them would even be playing if it weren't for the WCF.

I will be very interested to see what all of the injuries were.

And look how Cleary played. That's the kind of guy you want every time. Lids injury was terrifyingly painful from what I hear. Kudos to him too.

Yes we can. The d wasn't really the problem. We had 2 games to take the cup and our offense didn't show up. 1 goal 2 games in a row is unacceptable with all the offensive firepower we have. Not the D's fault, or ozzie's fault. The forwards didn't show up to play end of story.

The reason that the offense wasn't scoring was that they were too tired spending too much time in the defensive zone not getting the puck out. I think the team defense was the issue.

Guest Crymson

I'm trying to understand your logic here---the team had two games to win the cup, but they couldn't win, and that was the problem... and the fact that the team's top two defensemen were injured didn't make that victory less likely?

I don't get it.

Also, please note that defensemen play a vital part in offense.

For anyone too lazy to click links like myself.

Rafalski - herniated disk in back, seperated shoulder

Cleary - severly pulled groin

Lidstrom - damaged testicles

Datsyuk - charlie horse, bad foot

Homer - hernia, bad foot, bad knee

Like that's some pretty big lifting there, too many injuries, not enough gas. They'll be back next year.

All of this made me shiver ...

"When I first saw the doctor in the morning, he asked me if I had any kids, and if I planned on having more kids," said Lidstrom, 39, who has four sons.

Two days earlier, the Blackhawks' Patrick Sharp had speared Lidstrom in his testicles. Lidstrom practiced the next day, which says something about the man; you don't have to be Allen Iverson to think speared testicles are a good reason to skip practice. But when Lidstrom woke up on the 24th, he was in too much pain to play. He needed surgery immediately. Now here was this doctor, telling Lidstrom he might emerge from anesthesia with one ********.

"He said he didn't know until he actually went in there and looked," Lidstrom said.

As Rosenberg notes, Andreas Lilja continues to have post-concussive headaches, and when three months pass without a respite from those symptoms, hockey players tend to worry whether they're ever going to play again; Kris Draper missed time with torn cartilage in his trachea, as well as a groin injury; Pavel Datsyuk dealt with both a bone bruise in his foot and a thigh contusion described as worse than the one he suffered during the 2006 playoffs against the Edmonton Oilers (and that Charley horse had to be lacerated--repeatedly--to prevent it from calcifying)

And yet, when I asked Lidstrom which Wings impressed him most with their toughness in the playoffs, the first name he mentioned was Dan Cleary. Lidstrom said Cleary had "two partial tears in his groin." Every stride on the ice must have been excruciating for Cleary. He played every game, scored 15 points and was plus-17.

Brian Rafalski told Rosenberg that, in addition to suffering from a herniated disc from his back, he suffered a separated left shoulder. His back injury gave him "tingles"

Overall, Lidstrom spoke with his usual mastery of understatement in discussing the Wings' injuries (take note that Henrik Zetterberg has yet to admit that he played through a wrist injury and other ailments that deemed him a "70%" status from Mickey Redmond)

source

For anyone too lazy to click links like myself.

Rafalski - herniated disk in back, seperated shoulder

Cleary - severly pulled groin

Lidstrom - damaged testicles

Datsyuk - charlie horse, bad foot

Homer - hernia, bad foot, bad knee

Like that's some pretty big lifting there, too many injuries, not enough gas. They'll be back next year.

Seriously. Add Draper, Kopecky and Lilja to that list, and I can't believe the team managed to get one win away from the cup. After reading all this, I hope no one is doubting this teams willingness to put their heart, soul and body into winning games anymore.

Look, I hate making excuses. We lost.

However, the loss is easier to take when you realize taht not only was our defense out of commission (yet still showed up reasonably well) but: Hossa was snake bit (it happens), Datsyuk was seriously injured and it showed, Holmstrom was even more seriously injured and it really showed. That's our top lineup right there, out of commission. Zetterberg was too busy playing defense to be an offensive threat. That's a serious dent in offense.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Cleary and Draper's injuries as well.

So yeah, I think in this case, blaming the loss at least partially on a serious spat of injuries beyond the usual pale is acceptable. The Pens barely eked out a win against a team playing at about half-strength.

EDIT: Jeez, Zetterberg was injured, too? Seriously people, it's amazing we got within a single awesome save away from tying and going on to win the Cup.

All this considered I think Detroit is by far the favorite to win it next year. They'll be back with a freaking vengeance.

Edited by VM1138

Can someone explain datsyuk's charlie horse needing to be repeatedly "lacerated to prevent calcifying."

From wiki "Charley horse"...

Prematurely returning to sports activities increases the likelihood of the main complication of a charley horse, the deposition of calcium into the hematoma that forms at the site of injury.

hematoma basically means blood outside the blood vessels that you get in an area like when you're bruised (internal bleeding). My guess is with a serious bruise like a Charley horse, if you play on it, calcium will build up in the area so they needed to cut the area open to remove any build up. This is what I gather from google anyway.

That has got to be one of the most awkward interviews Lidstrom has ever given :lol: Especially since he is such a quiet and reserved person. Then suddenly he has to talk to reporters about his ability to produce more kids. Good times haha.

Injuries or not, we should have still won the series after having a stranglehold on it.

For some reason, our injuries didn't show in the 3rd periods, when this team actually tried to play hard. I don't like making excuses for what happened last week, and I don't know why everyone else is.

Injuries or not, we should have still won the series after having a stranglehold on it.

For some reason, our injuries didn't show in the 3rd periods, when this team actually tried to play hard. I don't like making excuses for what happened last week, and I don't know why everyone else is.

Actually, it makes a little sense.

Obviously if you have serious injuries that hamper your play, even in a Final sthere is going to be a part of you that doesn't put in 100% in the 2nd period of a game. Now, if your back is to the wall in the final, say 10 minutes, then you might be more willing to sacrifice and risk an even more serious injury in order to save the game. It'd be very hard to consistently hurt yourself and risk injury through a full 60 minutes when the game isn't on the line.

Crosby has a hurt mangina

but he was still able to lift that 35lb cup just fine

and i think i saw that Hossa has a bruised ego... he said he would be willing to work next year on a $1 salary like the CEO of Chrysler

You see where that got Chrysler, eh?

I wonder how much, if any, effect Hossa's two headers into the endboards at the end of the season had anything to do with his play?

Actually, it makes a little sense.

Obviously if you have serious injuries that hamper your play, even in a Final sthere is going to be a part of you that doesn't put in 100% in the 2nd period of a game. Now, if your back is to the wall in the final, say 10 minutes, then you might be more willing to sacrifice and risk an even more serious injury in order to save the game. It'd be very hard to consistently hurt yourself and risk injury through a full 60 minutes when the game isn't on the line.

Hey, if that makes you somehow feel better about the loss, then go with it.

It doesn't console me in any way, just like it didn't in 2007 when we had injuries in the playoffs.