68 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (XxGoWingsxX @ June 15, 2009 - 03:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes we can. The d wasn't really the problem. We had 2 games to take the cup and our offense didn't show up. 1 goal 2 games in a row is unacceptable with all the offensive firepower we have. Not the D's fault, or ozzie's fault. The forwards didn't show up to play end of story.

Look, I hate making excuses. We lost.

However, the loss is easier to take when you realize taht not only was our defense out of commission (yet still showed up reasonably well) but: Hossa was snake bit (it happens), Datsyuk was seriously injured and it showed, Holmstrom was even more seriously injured and it really showed. That's our top lineup right there, out of commission. Zetterberg was too busy playing defense to be an offensive threat. That's a serious dent in offense.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Cleary and Draper's injuries as well.

So yeah, I think in this case, blaming the loss at least partially on a serious spat of injuries beyond the usual pale is acceptable. The Pens barely eked out a win against a team playing at about half-strength.

EDIT: Jeez, Zetterberg was injured, too? Seriously people, it's amazing we got within a single awesome save away from tying and going on to win the Cup.

All this considered I think Detroit is by far the favorite to win it next year. They'll be back with a freaking vengeance.

Edited by VM1138, 16 June 2009 - 11:36 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 pirateasaurus

pirateasaurus

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Can someone explain datsyuk's charlie horse needing to be repeatedly "lacerated to prevent calcifying."

#63 HudlerFanatic

HudlerFanatic

You're my boy Huds!

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

http://blog.mlive.co...eir_litera.html

an article on mlive.com regarding injuries......

#64 purebooyah

purebooyah

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (pirateasaurus @ June 16, 2009 - 03:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone explain datsyuk's charlie horse needing to be repeatedly "lacerated to prevent calcifying."

From wiki "Charley horse"...
Prematurely returning to sports activities increases the likelihood of the main complication of a charley horse, the deposition of calcium into the hematoma that forms at the site of injury.

hematoma basically means blood outside the blood vessels that you get in an area like when you're bruised (internal bleeding). My guess is with a serious bruise like a Charley horse, if you play on it, calcium will build up in the area so they needed to cut the area open to remove any build up. This is what I gather from google anyway.

#65 PenaltyShot 96

PenaltyShot 96

Youth Movement

• HoF Booster
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

That has got to be one of the most awkward interviews Lidstrom has ever given laugh.gif Especially since he is such a quiet and reserved person. Then suddenly he has to talk to reporters about his ability to produce more kids. Good times haha.
"That's what happens when Downey walks into a room...things die."

#66 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Injuries or not, we should have still won the series after having a stranglehold on it.

For some reason, our injuries didn't show in the 3rd periods, when this team actually tried to play hard. I don't like making excuses for what happened last week, and I don't know why everyone else is.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#67 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ June 16, 2009 - 08:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Injuries or not, we should have still won the series after having a stranglehold on it.

For some reason, our injuries didn't show in the 3rd periods, when this team actually tried to play hard. I don't like making excuses for what happened last week, and I don't know why everyone else is.

Actually, it makes a little sense.

Obviously if you have serious injuries that hamper your play, even in a Final sthere is going to be a part of you that doesn't put in 100% in the 2nd period of a game. Now, if your back is to the wall in the final, say 10 minutes, then you might be more willing to sacrifice and risk an even more serious injury in order to save the game. It'd be very hard to consistently hurt yourself and risk injury through a full 60 minutes when the game isn't on the line.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#68 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ June 13, 2009 - 01:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crosby has a hurt mangina

but he was still able to lift that 35lb cup just fine

and i think i saw that Hossa has a bruised ego... he said he would be willing to work next year on a $1 salary like the CEO of Chrysler

You see where that got Chrysler, eh?

I wonder how much, if any, effect Hossa's two headers into the endboards at the end of the season had anything to do with his play?

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#69 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ June 16, 2009 - 07:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, it makes a little sense.

Obviously if you have serious injuries that hamper your play, even in a Final sthere is going to be a part of you that doesn't put in 100% in the 2nd period of a game. Now, if your back is to the wall in the final, say 10 minutes, then you might be more willing to sacrifice and risk an even more serious injury in order to save the game. It'd be very hard to consistently hurt yourself and risk injury through a full 60 minutes when the game isn't on the line.

Hey, if that makes you somehow feel better about the loss, then go with it.

It doesn't console me in any way, just like it didn't in 2007 when we had injuries in the playoffs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.