• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Were They Too Complacent Going Into Game 7?

Rate this topic

All of the news stories and interviews prior to the game included Babcock and the team saying that they were just going to have fun and treat the game like any normal game.

I realize that that is calming, but do you think it was a mistake? Should they have felt the pressure more? They're a tough, experienced team, they could have handled the perssure and it may have motivated them.

I am not second-guessing Babcock. He's the greatest active coach and almost always does the right thing, but it just seems like HE wasn't hungry enough, and neither was the team. Mabye they SHOULD have handled Game 7 like a Game 7?

Or do you think it wouldn't have mattered?

All of the news stories and interviews prior to the game included Babcock and the team saying that they were just going to have fun and treat the game like any normal game.

I realize that that is calming, but do you think it was a mistake? Should they have felt the pressure more? They're a tough, experienced team, they could have handled the perssure and it may have motivated them.

I am not second-guessing Babcock. He's the greatest active coach and almost always does the right thing, but it just seems like HE wasn't hungry enough, and neither was the team. Mabye they SHOULD have handled Game 7 like a Game 7?

They just got beat. Maybe if they had the extra week off there would have been gas in the tank...

It was a rough year with plenty of rough patches and complacency yet we still made it this far. Too much fancy s*** and not enough good hard s***s are what lost us this game if you asked me. Pens had more hungry players then we did, they out played us more then we out played them.... they were the better team. Maybe some off season roster refreshing is what we need to get rid of the complacency.

EDIT: I meant good hard SHOTS but maybe a few good hard s***s could have helped Hoss and some of our other playoff ghosts

Edited by The Secret

I threw a minor conniption fit when I read this. I said: "Have fun? HAVE FUN? Are you ******* kidding me? Just ******* win. How about that for advice, COACH???"

Yeah, I'm not too happy right now...

games six and seven the wings were much too complacent and started getting into the game much too late. we had a good start tonight, but after stuarts dumbs*** slashing penalty in the first, the wings coasted until it was too late. the team that wanted to win more won. it ended how it should have. the wings didn't really show this series that they deserved to be hoisting the cup right now, unfortunately.

I think we will all understand better when the long list of injuries comes out. On the news they said that Zetterberg was maybe 70%. I didn't even know he was injured. He played pretty well, but at times looked like he didn't have as much jump as usual in hindsight.

Today Datsyuk looked slower than he did in the previous 2 games. I wonder if playing in game 5 hurt his foot worse and it continued to get aggravated.

No I don't think so. Remember back to the start of the game, they played with a fire that I haven't seen in aaaages. I can't remember a better first few minutes. I thought then and there that we were here to play. That first PP for the Pens killed us I reckon. Having almost 2 whole minutes in our zone just killed the momentum and got things going for the Pens.

So I don't think complacency was the problem neither was it tiredness (cmon they're professionals they can take this beating) ... we were just out of sync ... every team has its bad day, and for us it unfortunately had to come on the biggest day of them all

I thought they came out firing on all cylinders and controlled the vast majority of the game on most aspects. Just way too many wasted shots, I believe they missed the net more times then hit honestly.

Either way Pens style of play punctured holes in the Wings puck possession giving them chances off of turnovers which they finished. Fleury was also amazing and giving up next to no second chances.

Read/listen to Maltby's post game presser for your answer to that question.

Even Malts states the bare truth....

They failed to show up until it was too late, and relied on their skill to win them games where EFFORT would have been more effective.

Either way Pens style of play punctured holes in the Wings puck possession giving them chances off of turnovers which they finished. Fleury was also amazing and giving up next to no second chances.

Actually he gave up a bunch of rebounds out front. The problem was the Wings werent willing to pay the price and stop in front of the net to get them. They kept skating around the net instead of stopping in front and looking for a rebound.

No I don't think so. Remember back to the start of the game, they played with a fire that I haven't seen in aaaages. I can't remember a better first few minutes. I thought then and there that we were here to play. That first PP for the Pens killed us I reckon. Having almost 2 whole minutes in our zone just killed the momentum and got things going for the Pens.

So I don't think complacency was the problem neither was it tiredness (cmon they're professionals they can take this beating) ... we were just out of sync ... every team has its bad day, and for us it unfortunately had to come on the biggest day of them all

But something like that is not supposed to hurt a veteran team like Detroit. They should have been able to pick right back up where they left off. Again, I think the injury list is going to be extensive when we hear about all of it.

I still blame Stuart. The penalty he took was absolutely stupid. Then he makes 2 big mistakes that result directly in goals. He's the goat for this game.

NEvertheless though, despite Stuart, we had more power plays (didn't score), we have a superior offense to Pit and couldn't score. The refs favored us today.

bear-shit-in-woods.jpg

hell yes they were too complacent. And I think they were too complacent in game 3 and 6 too. I think they were just dead tired in game 4 though.

Read/listen to Maltby's post game presser for your answer to that question.

Even Malts states the bare truth....

They failed to show up until it was too late, and relied on their skill to win them games where EFFORT would have been more effective.

I agree 100%. More ugly playoff hockey is what I have been talking about this whole series... they tried to be too fancy too often when winning board battles and good hard shots on net would have been more valuable. The only good thing they did in the first was dictate the physcal play and not get scored on. By the time their collective hearts were in the game it was too late. I hate to admit it but Pitsburgh out played us and look to have alot more energy for most of the series.

Actually he gave up a bunch of rebounds out front. The problem was the Wings werent willing to pay the price and stop in front of the net to get them. They kept skating around the net instead of stopping in front and looking for a rebound.

Difference between this year's Team and last year's Team?

Last year they were inspired to Win the Cup for Dallas Drake. And they became more and more inspired watching a grinder like Dally leave his heart and soul, blood and guts, and everything he had, on the ice. Night after night, game after game, shift after shift.

"Whatever it takes....I'll do it! I WANT the Cup...!"

And so that's how THEY played, as a TEAM. With that kind of grinding, relentless intensity.

This year?

Well....

They were SUPPOSED to be inspired to Win the Cup for Marian Hossa.

A guy who left the Pens because he wanted the EASIEST ride to the Cup.

He played all Post Season as though he was WAITING for someone ELSE to step up and be the hero.

And so that's how THEY played, as a TEAM. With the same kind of lackadaisical, "meh....." effort.

They just got beat. The Penguins totally dominated them from the start to very nearly the finish.

That's a fools fantasy.

Look at the 3rd period of nearly EVERY Game.

The Pens did not "dominate".

The Wings, for the most part, FAILED TO SHOW UP for most of these games.

Maltby came right out and said it.

They threw this Series, and the Cup, down the toilet.

I guess if that's what you're all about, okay. Except in Game 5, and not even then until Cleary got the goal, the Wings struggled to beat the Pens forecheck. They were better in some games than others, but they never had a real good handle on it. Tonight they couldn't muster anything at all until the Pens fell back into "oh my god don't lose the game" mode.

Actually a good valid point, the rebounds where there just short. Of course playoff hockey's leniency with calls allowed Chewbacca (Gill) to slobber knock anyone who dared come close. I hope Ericsson can be eventually be forged into a similar type of player, they're truly invaluable during the finals.

I think the Pens were more hungry than the Wings. After all, the Wings won last year and the Stanley Cup hangover seems to always be in full effect the following season. Maybe the Wings were tired, and if so, it certainly showed. The Pens just hustled and outplayed the Wings. That has to be worth something. With all the stats and odds stacked against them, they came into Detroit and won. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

The Wings will realize the chance they just had when they come into training camp in September. I predict they will be a much better team and be ready to make their mark next season. "You don't know what you got, till its gone," makes sense in this regard.

If the Wings came into this game complacent, then they are fools. These players are professionals. They know the other team is going to work hard and vice versa. Just in this game, the Pens seemed a little more energized and ready to play.

Edited by Nightfall

everyone was throwing out stats as to why the wings couldn't lose..... those were the fans... i can only imagine the players thought they had it in the bag coming back home

Glad i kept my 2 months worth of rent and watch the game bdubs

Yes, they were complacent. It showed in games 6 and 7.

After game 5, they must have thought the Pittsburgh Penguins were the Chicago Blackhawks when they lost their composure.

They went from a team who played with a "Why Not Us?" mentality to a complacent bunch who thought the Cup was rightfully theirs after 5 games.

The ego does not bring with it success, hard work does!! :ranting:

That's a fools fantasy.

Look at the 3rd period of nearly EVERY Game.

The Pens did not "dominate".

The Wings, for the most part, FAILED TO SHOW UP for most of these games.

Maltby came right out and said it.

They threw this Series, and the Cup, down the toilet.

I actually am more inclined to believe that was our depth wearing on the Pens that saw us always shine late game. Wings tried like hell early on just couldn't find the energy to match up initially in most games. Call it fatigue on the Wings part or just simply the Pens having more jump when fresh, but either way the Pens finished their chances with more efficiency.

I do agree however 100% with the Pens not dominating, there was no dominating any game of this series for either team except for game 5. Pens deserved to win, but I don't believe did so being the better team necessarily, but being far more efficient. They killed us on special teams and scored on our turnovers. I don't recall them scoring much if at all 5-on-5 from sustained pressure, but rather turned our own momentum against us.

The Penguins where like water, while the Wings tried playing like an unyielding boulder. They were a viper, and we were a constrictor. Less effort more results, as opposed to more effort and fewer results.

...and now I know I need sleep, I'm starting to turn into a character from a martial arts movie.