• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Were They Too Complacent Going Into Game 7?

Rate this topic

I actually am more inclined to believe that was our depth wearing on the Pens that saw us always shine late game. Wings tried like hell early on just couldn't find the energy to match up initially in most games. Call it fatigue on the Wings part or just simply the Pens having more jump when fresh, but either way the Pens finished their chances with more efficiency.

I'm calling BS, again....

It wasn't their "depth" which saw them do the same thing ALL YEAR LONG during the Regular Season.

On many, MANY nights, they COASTED through 40, sometimes even 50 minutes, and then "decided" to turn it on for the final 10 minutes or so and count on their skill to Win the game for them.

We, as fans, bitched about it ALL SEASON LONG.

It wasn't about "depth" coming through late THEN, and it wasn't about "depth" coming through late in the Play Offs.

They simply DIDN'T "GET STARTED ON TIME", as was so very often the case ALL SEASON LONG.

Come to grips with that.

During the RS, it was a hit-and-miss. Win some. Lose some.

They tried relying on that pattern during the Post Season.

It cost them the Cup.

Again....

Listen to Maltby's PG interview. He's pretty honest about it.

Why some Wings fans refuse to acknowledge it is beyond me.

Edited by Outsider

I'm calling BS, again....

It wasn't their "depth" which saw them do the same thing ALL YEAR LONG during the Regular Season.

On many, MANY nights, they COASTED through 40, sometimes even 50 minutes, and then "decided" to turn it on for the final 10 minutes or so and count on their skill to Win the game for them.

We, as fans, bitched about it ALL SEASON LONG.

It wasn't about "depth" coming through late THEN, and it wasn't about "depth" coming through late in the Play Offs.

They simply DIDN'T "GET STARTED ON TIME", as was so very often the case ALL SEASON LONG.

Come to grips with that.

During the RS, it was a hit-and-miss. Win some. Lose some.

They tried relying on that pattern during the Post Season.

It cost them the Cup.

Again....

Listen to Maltby's PG interview. He's pretty honest about it.

Why some Wings fans refuse to acknowledge it is beyond me.

Its easy for some Wings fans to just blaming the reffing or some stupid conspiracy to give Crosby the cup. In the end, I think most Wings fans are coming around to the fact that they were outplayed and the Pens deserved to win it. I am pretty proud of this because at one time I thought this forum was full of biased Wings fans who would blame ANYONE AND EVERYONE except their team. Its good to see that not only are a majority of fans on this forum Wings fans, but hockey fans. They give credit where credit is due, and for the most part, a majority of them saw what we lacked and what the Pens were willing to do to win.

Excellent post by the way.

Yes, they were complacent. It showed in games 6 and 7.

After game 5, they must have thought the Pittsburgh Penguins were the Chicago Blackhawks when they lost their composure.

They went from a team who played with a "Why Not Us?" mentality to a complacent bunch who thought the Cup was rightfully theirs after 5 games.

The ego does not bring with it success, hard work does!! :ranting:

First of all I just want to say that we did not deserve to win the Cup with the way we played the last 2 games, the effort simply was not there and we definitely reverted to our regular season ways with the "we'll start trying after we've dug ourselves a big hole" mentality- there are about 3 players from our team I feel bad for- Ozzie (hung out to dry with almost no offensive support the last 2 games), Filppula (played pretty well most of the series, one of the only forwards I noticed competing hard most of the time), and Abdelkader (kid came in cold and scored 2 huge goals the first 2 games and then gets benched for a guy whose only real worth is winning faceoffs)

Also no one likes to talk about it or admit it but injuries caught up with us- A LOT of guys were significantly banged up, we'll find out who was really hurting over the next few days, and I think in the long run it was having to go through the gruelling Anaheim series that ended up costing us, that series took so much out of them and they never had time to recover

One thing I really don't like about how the series went was the officiating (I know, another excuse) BUT I do feel that the Pens got some big breaks at crucial times- looking at the box scores in the series, the Pens got the first PP or first two PP in six of the seven games, that's kinda fishy, and there were several blatant non-calls the refs just let go (I'm sure we can all think of several)

What worries me is that the Pens tried their best Anaheim impersonation against us and it worked- they knew they would get away with all the subtle interference and late hits b/c it's the playoffs, and the worrisome part is that other teams are going to try and emulate that since it won the Pens the Cup

Ultimately it's a shame we couldn't overcome all the adversity we were saddled with, and it's actually pretty amazing we came so close despite everything, but man, this one's gonna sting for a long time

When it came to the third and they were down 2-0 and the D men were still just sitting back. When ever a puck was dumped around the board it was like they let the penguins grab it then go back on D. That is not how you play puck possesion. Even the announcers were saying why are the D men playing behind the blue line so far. No one was skating even in the third when they had all the chances players were just standing still. They would pass the puck and just stay in the same spot. It was really frustrating to watch. Everything was on the outside, made it really easy for the Penguins Defenders. I think Illitch should give the fans 2/3 of their money back.

Edited by MTU_Huskies963

When it came to the third and they were down 2-0 and the D men were still just sitting back. When ever a puck was dumped around the board it was like they let the penguins grab it then go back on D. That is not how you play puck possesion. Even the announcers were saying why are the D men playing behind the blue line so far. No one was skating even in the third when they had all the chances players were just standing still. They would pass the puck and just stay in the same spot. It was really frustrating to watch. Everything was on the outside, made it really easy for the Penguins Defenders. I think Illitch should give the fans 2/3 of their money back.

Yeah they had no "puck pursuit" and it seemed they waited for the puck to come to them instead of going to get it, they did not initiate nearly enough and most importantly they did not DRIVE THE FRONT OF THE NET, I can't remember how many times they said that was the reason for their success early in the playoffs, I'll never know why they stopped doing it in the freakin' Finals.....

Yeah they had no "puck pursuit" and it seemed they waited for the puck to come to them instead of going to get it, they did not initiate nearly enough and most importantly they did not DRIVE THE FRONT OF THE NET, I can't remember how many times they said that was the reason for their success early in the playoffs, I'll never know why they stopped doing it in the freakin' Finals.....

Not to mention the constant offsides, horrible passing, and mistimed pinching. To be honest the way the wings played against the ducks is the same way they played against the pens. Game 7 of that series could have gone the same as this series(and probably should have). Remember game 6 of the Ducks series it played out exactly the same. We spot them a 2 goal lead then fight and claw back in the 3rd. Both of these series had no business going 7 games. The penguins are a good team not trying to take anything away from them, but the wings slacked off. The penguins took hold of the opportunity.

Not to mention the constant offsides, horrible passing, and mistimed pinching. To be honest the way the wings played against the ducks is the same way they played against the pens. Game 7 of that series could have gone the same as this series(and probably should have). Remember game 6 of the Ducks series it played out exactly the same. We spot them a 2 goal lead then fight and claw back in the 3rd. Both of these series had no business going 7 games. The penguins are a good team not trying to take anything away from them, but the wings slacked off. The penguins took hold of the opportunity.

PRECISELY.

Yeah, even in tonight's game they made plenty of UNFORCED ERRORS, sloppy outlet passes on powerplays and otherwise, and I don't know, they just seemed discombobualted(sp?).

Not that I'd really like to see it b/c it would mean we didn't make it, but it would be interesting to see what an Anaheim/Pitt series would be like, and I'd also like to see the Pens have to go through the Ducks before reaching the Finals and see how "fresh" they'd be

Yeah, even in tonight's game they made plenty of UNFORCED ERRORS, sloppy outlet passes on powerplays and otherwise, and I don't know, they just seemed discombobualted(sp?).

Not that I'd really like to see it b/c it would mean we didn't make it, but it would be interesting to see what an Anaheim/Pitt series would be like, and I'd also like to see the Pens have to go through the Ducks before reaching the Finals and see how "fresh" they'd be

Well, hopefully the Ducks won't even make the damn playoffs next year!! I will keep my fingers crossed. I hate/have no respect for them and would love nothing more than to see them finish dead last next year.

First of all I just want to say that we did not deserve to win the Cup with the way we played the last 2 games, the effort simply was not there and we definitely reverted to our regular season ways with the "we'll start trying after we've dug ourselves a big hole" mentality- there are about 3 players from our team I feel bad for- Ozzie (hung out to dry with almost no offensive support the last 2 games), Filppula (played pretty well most of the series, one of the only forwards I noticed competing hard most of the time), and Abdelkader (kid came in cold and scored 2 huge goals the first 2 games and then gets benched for a guy whose only real worth is winning faceoffs)

Also no one likes to talk about it or admit it but injuries caught up with us- A LOT of guys were significantly banged up, we'll find out who was really hurting over the next few days, and I think in the long run it was having to go through the gruelling Anaheim series that ended up costing us, that series took so much out of them and they never had time to recover

One thing I really don't like about how the series went was the officiating (I know, another excuse) BUT I do feel that the Pens got some big breaks at crucial times- looking at the box scores in the series, the Pens got the first PP or first two PP in six of the seven games, that's kinda fishy, and there were several blatant non-calls the refs just let go (I'm sure we can all think of several)

What worries me is that the Pens tried their best Anaheim impersonation against us and it worked- they knew they would get away with all the subtle interference and late hits b/c it's the playoffs, and the worrisome part is that other teams are going to try and emulate that since it won the Pens the Cup

Ultimately it's a shame we couldn't overcome all the adversity we were saddled with, and it's actually pretty amazing we came so close despite everything, but man, this one's gonna sting for a long time

I would not be too concerned as this "Ducks Style of Play" you mention is nothing new to the game. It won the Flyers a lot of games in the 70s, including two Cups, the Devils the Cup in 95 and so on. Hell, it got the Flames and Oilers past the Redwings and on to the finals a few years back. That style has earned the Wings a few victories in the post season as well.

They beat the Ducks partly b/c they stepped up to them physically

It is simply the nature of the beast and given the playoff successes of the last 3 years, the Wings have adapted well to it since 2006, wouldn't you say?

I would not be too concerned as this "Ducks Style of Play" you mention is nothing new to the game. It won the Flyers a lot of games in the 70s, including two Cups, the Devils the Cup in 95 and so on. Hell, it got the Flames and Oilers past the Redwings and on to the finals a few years back. That style has earned the Wings a few victories in the post season as well.

They beat the Ducks partly b/c they stepped up to them physically

It is simply the nature of the beast and given the playoff successes of the last 3 years, the Wings have adapted well to it since 2006, wouldn't you say?

Yes I agree with you, it just bugs me sometimes b/c that style does involve more of the pre-lockout clutch-and-grab crap that was supposed to be a thing of the past. They call you for it during the reg. season but when the playoffs arrive the refs swallow their whistles a bit more even though they were adamant they would keep the same standards in the playoffs, which clearly was not the case in this postseason, and not just the Finals either

They played terrible for 20-40 minutes nearly every game. In hindsight, I think its incredible that they got to Game 7 of the cup final, only playing 2 or 3 complete games the whole run and their best players offensively not showing up. There were a lot of things wrong with this run that we as fans have seen very rarely from the Wings, something that has been there all season: the sense that they were just phoning it in.

You don't win Stanley Cups by phoning it in.

All of the news stories and interviews prior to the game included Babcock and the team saying that they were just going to have fun and treat the game like any normal game.

I realize that that is calming, but do you think it was a mistake? Should they have felt the pressure more? They're a tough, experienced team, they could have handled the perssure and it may have motivated them.

I am not second-guessing Babcock. He's the greatest active coach and almost always does the right thing, but it just seems like HE wasn't hungry enough, and neither was the team. Mabye they SHOULD have handled Game 7 like a Game 7?

Or do you think it wouldn't have mattered?

Would it have mattered? I have no idea, but I think it was ill advised. It's not any other game, it is THE game. Perhaps had then been pointed out with the utmost clarity people like Stuart wouldn't have played indeed, like it was any other game (in the past season with all the damn weak D play and turnovers). They should have been told, even though they knew it, that this was IT and they were expected to give every last drop of sweat they had or regret it the rest of their lives.

They played terrible for 20-40 minutes nearly every game. In hindsight, I think its incredible that they got to Game 7 of the cup final, only playing 2 or 3 complete games the whole run and their best players offensively not showing up. There were a lot of things wrong with this run that we as fans have seen very rarely from the Wings, something that has been there all season: the sense that they were just phoning it in.

Good point- they rarely put in 60 minutes, even with the Cup on the line. The urgency and hunger weren't there and it just makes it more frustrating to never know what could have been if they had played to their potential, despite the injuries and no "puck luck"

Amen. And I'm not sure why they did this. Was it all the Cup hangover? I don't like that excuse. But in 2008 this team was the best, in 2009 they added a talent like Marian Hossa and virtually ever player had a horrible season as the team coasted their way to the Finals. Will they be back to 2008 form next year or is this lackluster effort from world-class players something permanent?

Defense wins championships and you have to be able to win on the road, which the Pens were able to do and we weren't. If you look at our wins, we held them to 2 goals in 3 wins, and in our losses we gave up 12 goals in 4 games

Heck, even looking back at last year's finals, it was our D that got it done- 3 goals against in 4 wins, 7 against in 2 losses (if I remember correctly)

We actually out-scored the Pens in the series 17-14, just didn't score when we needed it and played from behind too much, made it too hard on ourselves