• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Babcock sums it up in one sentence...

Rate this topic

Freep article

"I thought we looked out of gas pretty much all series," Mike Babcock said. "I thought we competed, and I thought we tried. But I never thought we got to the level we'd have liked to. We started good tonight, took a penalty. Then we had two crucial turnovers in the second period, and they scored."

I think fatigue played a huge part in the loss. As he pointed out, we never got the level we could have. It was an incredibly frustrating series because the entire time I was waiting for the Wings to turn it on and outside of Game 5, it just didn't happen. Things just failed to click the entire time and as a result we came up short.

Out of gas?

Playing with injuries?

Tell that to guys like Mr. Steve Yzerman. With all due respect, that's not good enough.

Haven't slept since I got home a couple hours ago. I just can't believe this is happening ...

He also said it's amazing how tired you look when you're not scoring goals and the other team is (i.e. game 5).

Hossa is the new Lang - Detroit will not win a Cup with him in the line-up.

Out of gas?

Playing with injuries?

Tell that to guys like Mr. Steve Yzerman. With all due respect, that's not good enough.

Haven't slept since I got home a couple hours ago. I just can't believe this is happening ...

Mate I'm absolutely shattered too, I'm expecting to wake up from this nightmare.

But the fact remains, we were extremely flat. Since when have the Wings put so few shots on goal, since when has the team had such little jump? We were trying but I'm willing to bet they virtually had nothing left in the tank, and when you're nervous that's not a great combination.

I'm not gonna take much away from what the Pens did in this series as it was. They made adjustments and played Ducks style hockey and did it well. Not to mention they had more forward depth than the Ducks. But I can't help but wonder if the NHL had stuck to it's ORIGINAL F'ING PLAN! And this series started Friday June 5th instead of May 29th, would the outcome have been different? One thing is for certain: Datsyuk would've been ready to go in game 2 on June 6th! It's a moot point and hindsight is 20/20 but I cannot help but wonder?

they've played a ton of hockey in the past couple years. some pysical playoff series and they are not the toughest or most durable team. I'm just glad they continue to presue improvment, and put themselves in a position to win ever year.

Seriously, the whole team didn't look to sharp except in the beginning and at the end there, but damn Stuart :ranting: Give me a freaking break he took a stupid ass penalty, then f-cked Ozzie by giving it to Talbot in his crease, then got caught WAY out of position on a 2 on 1.

Fatigue obviously played a massive role. Just watching the game that was very obvious. I thought we came roaring out to start the game then as soon as we hit the pk we were coasting along until the last 5 mins of the second and parts of the third. Its not an excuse but its something that should be recognized. They are only human.

When a team is physically burnt out they need a little bit extra to push them over the line. Something mental or emotional, some people might call this hunger and i would agree. This is why its so hard to win back to back. We didn't have the hunger.

note: that doesn't mean they didn't care about the game or the situation, i hate it when people say that.

Tired in the SCF?!? My God what a surprise.

Hint, every fricking team in the history of the SCF is tired, but they play through it. You don't think this was grueling for the Penns. Injuries I can accept, but tired I cannot. Tired is why you win, not lose.

Old story, but Wayne 99 himself told it. When he lost in the finals he walked by the Islanders locker room (they had just won the Cup). He said they were all sitting there and were completely exhausted. He clued into this. It was a sign of why they won. They left everything, absolutely everything on the ice.

No way I can say that about this team. Too bad, but it's true. Like the other poster said, we need a little Yzerman attitude back in this bunch.

Edited by Stiffy

He also said it's amazing how tired you look when you're not scoring goals and the other team is (i.e. game 5).

Hossa is the new Lang - Detroit will not win a Cup with him in the line-up.

Amazing....people still feel the reason to blame Hossa....

ever think it may have been the "Conklin Curse"

we need a little Yzerman attitude back in this bunch.

Not exactly an easy thing to insert into a line up. If that were the case Stevie wouldn't be remembered like he is.

I'm not gonna take much away from what the Pens did in this series as it was. They made adjustments and played Ducks style hockey and did it well. Not to mention they had more forward depth than the Ducks. But I can't help but wonder if the NHL had stuck to it's ORIGINAL F'ING PLAN! And this series started Friday June 5th instead of May 29th, would the outcome have been different? One thing is for certain: Datsyuk would've been ready to go in game 2 on June 6th! It's a moot point and hindsight is 20/20 but I cannot help but wonder?

It's also a shame that Ducks style hockey should result in getting numerous penalties called b/c basically it's playing pre-lockout style clutch and grab hockey which was supposed to be a thing of the past.

And yes it would have been nice to have started the Finals June 5th, but b/c of the contract w/NBC and the fact Conan O'Brien was taking over for Leno meant the Wings did not get the rest they deserved after finishing off the Hawks in only 5 games despite the injuries, and also looking back if the Canes had won just ONE freakin' game against the Pens it would have pushed the start date of the Finals to the 5th; but hey, them's are the breaks, and I really do think the Pens got them in spades while the Wings seemed to have used ALL theirs up last year, b/c it always seemed to be an uphill struggle

Look at it this way. If the Wings were tired or lacked "hunger" then maybe this year will be motivation for next year. I'm sure the Wings feel as if they let this one slip away and next year they'll be ready to do everything possible to not have to feel this kind of disappointment ever again.

I haven't heard it mentioned yet but Babcock is now 0-2 in SCF game 7's. That has to be a bitter pill to swallow. He is two games short of 2 cups. That's tough...

Still can't believe this happened.... :crybaby:

Was a good season and it was fun... but man this is no doubt the worst loss in Red Wings history and it hurts so bad.

i felt worse after the loss to the ducks in '07. i think the reason this is easier to accept is that in '07 the wings played great and were damn unlucky not to win. this time they played pretty flat throughout the whole series and thoroughly deserved to lose.

and as for babcock's comments - they certainly looked fatigued but should they have been? the pens played just as many games as the wings leading up to the final.

Edited by UKWING

Tired in the SCF?!? My God what a surprise.

Hint, every fricking team in the history of the SCF is tired

How many fricking teams in the history of the SCF played 5 games in 8 days? I'll wait for a list. They had an extra day off, are younger and had no real injuries. Your arguing history doesn't work unless you actually look at this in entirety regarding history, this was unprecedented. Then there was Malkin being alleviated of a mandatory suspension because it didn't meet what the NHL "looks for." What were they looking for in his assault on Z? A crowbar and wood chipper? He assaulted him, what does their lame excuse mean? The ice was clearly tilted towards the Pens through the series by the refs, but had that been the lone issue not enough to win, but you combine it with the rest of the farce of a SCF and it made it even more impossible to overcome. The NHL didn't host a championship, they selected a champion, it was pathetic. And I am no history of being paranoid on any of this, I am constantly arguing when we get screwed that it evens out. This time, it didn't. Being paranoid doesn't mean you don't have enemies.

This is my one rant on the subject, on to next year! We'll be back.

Babs should take his lumps on this one. He was borderline obsessed with the matchups during the road games. this completely negated our depth. failure to achieve anything in Pittsburgh led us to this fateful Game 7 where *anything* could happen.

Still can't believe this happened.... :crybaby:

Was a good season and it was fun... but man this is no doubt the worst loss in Red Wings history and it hurts so bad.

I don't know, although I feel bad about it...it just doesn't come close to 06 and 07.

I rank 06 as a little worse than 07 because of the Wings dominations that year to go out in round one against an 8th seed. Plus Yzerman went out on a bad note, that dreaded game 6....where he was pretty much the only one trying.

07 was sheer disbelief at how unlucky the Wings were with the calls and bounces when their play was often times exceeding the other teams

So this year kind of sucks, but they made it to the end of the finals.

tired/cocky, I don't know I wouldn't mind keeping Hossa at a 4mill price tag, and having so mad turn over on our bottom lines. Homer/Draper/Maltby=Helm/Abby/idk. I'm on the wall about Hudler.

We looked tired because we had all our young guys sitting. Babs blew it big time for sitting Abdelkader. Leino should have been playing as well after our sorry Game 6. Malts and Draper or Holmer should have sat Game 7. Sorry, it hurts to sit those guys, I love them; but this is professional sports and the Wings have to figure that out. We wasted a roster spot with McCarty and Chelios this year. We need to sack up every season and make the cuts that have to be made.

How much better would Helm be if he played at this level all season?