• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

NHL as a product now that season is over.

Rate this topic

nhl.jpg= wwe.jpg

HAHA RIGHT ON! I was just talking with some Yotes fans who watched the Finals and Semis, and they couldn't agree more. This being Arizona, I watched with alot of buddies who aren't hockey fans at all...they frequently remarked during the entire playoffs that it looked like things were being staged and the officiating was a joke. The non-suspension of Malkin, which was a complete violation of NHL rules, and the CONSTANT jabbering by both Versus and NBC (especially NBC) about CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY turned off most non-hockey people I know.

Bettman and his cronies are ruining the league, and I doubt I'll subscribe to Center Ice next season. Why watch hockey all season to see the joke that the Playoffs have become? I won't spend any extra money on it, thats for sure. And as far as Gary's great and grand plan to broaden the hockey-viewing market....it sure is doing the opposite from what I can see.

Bettman is ruining the league, but the fact he has a bias on who he wants to win the Cup is pathetic. The salary cap and rule changes in the last 3 seasons have been very good, but the whole Pheonix situition proves Bettman should not be in charge of the league anymore.

On a side note, does anyone feel like the Wings system needs changing? The Wings were obviously tired by the end, and the stupid schedual did nothing to help. They should have a full week off between the conference finals and Cup finals, with one day breaks between games. But on the other side, using Datsyuk, Franzen, Hossa, and Zetterberg on the PK didn't help. The Wings were horrible on the PK, and it seemed to just tire their elite forwards. I think Bab's should reconsider how he allocates ice time. The PK was terrible all season remember.

I watched well over 500 games this season, regular and playoffs, and the thing that frustrates me the most is the inconsistency of the officiating. Regular season, the officiating was not horrible, but there were a lot of calls that were made where you could understand why they called it or why they let it go. In the playoffs however, it was just pathetic. I'd be watching one series and they are calling everything, then another series they put their whistles away entirely. The fact that everything in the playoffs was on national TV and therefore the errors were magnified by the commentators pointing out every flaw in the officiating makes it even more inexcusable. I wish I could offer a real solution, but basically the league needs to take a long hard look at the product they put on the ice this year and something needs to change, whether it's the on-ice officials themselves, the crew cheifs, or the league personnel that are responsible for the officiating, but do something. I am fortunate to have Center Ice at work so I do not have to pay for it, but I totally understand the sentiments of those who have stated their intent to spend their money elsewhere. The NHL has been alienating it's biggest fans for years, and this is just the latest in a long line of failures. I will always be hockey fan and more importantly, a Red Wings fan, but it is getting harder and harder to stomach the NHL. :(

I couldn't agree more. One article I read took note at around game 4 or 5 of the Finals that the number of interference penalties called was reduced by 1/2 from last year's finals to this one, and it sure wasn't b/c there was less of it going on, the refs just swallowed their whistles, or stuck them up their own asses and then made inconsistent calls the rest of the way. Another problem is some teams know this happens and take every advantage of it (the Ducks). And it wasn't surprising to see the Pens copy Anaheim's strategy against us, it ended up working. I think Hal Gill got away with some pretty blatant interference calls throughout the finals and probably the whole playoffs judging by what I saw of him in the Finals, and looking at his stats he was only called for 3 minors the entire playoffs- he could've been whistled for three penalties in any one of the games in the finals, that guy is slow as hell and should have been left behind in the so-called "new NHL". And that's not to say that the Wings don't do it too, hell everybody does it, and calls are going to be missed, but the coaches, players, and fans deserve to know what a penalty is and have it called consistently, no matter what time of year it is

On ESPN a few days ago they had a list of top sports in the us. i believe it was from a poll around 2007. the NHL made the top 15, at 15, possibly 14. ahead of the NHL were fantastic leagues such as WNBA and probably poker, extreme sports were also ahead of the NHL.

the league should have easy time climbing up if they wanted to. now we can see crosby lift the cup in every commercial.

i wish he can grow a sport better than he can grow a beard.

"Protecting the Stars" would only add to the problem of making the league seem biased.

Some would argue that the league did just that by not suspending Malkin this year or Pronger in 2007.

All the league needs to do is enforce the rules across the board from start to finish. If the offender is NHL poster boy Crosby, then so be it!!

I think that "protecting the stars" has already taken effect. Thats what the "New NHL" amounts to. It is quite obvious that the Officials were effecting the outcome of games all playoffs, and in the regular season to a lesser degree. Bettman obviously was pulling for the pens, and has a dislike for Detroit. The list goes on and on. I think that its time for the NHL to go Bye-Bye, and then maybe we can look forward to a REAL league. Its the last thing i want to see happen, but the NHL has almost gone beyond the point of no return. I hope that they can get rid of Bettman and pull someone in that really knows what they are doing and does not go with the old Michael Jordan formula, because that is not what hockey fans want to see. I hope that I can stomach the NHL next yeah but with the coyotes leaving in the next couple of years its looking pretty bleak here in the desert.

NHL is making leaps and bounds as far as spreading the image goes. However, the playoffs were a joke and most of the major outlets (ESPN, SI, etc.) ridiculed how biased the playoffs were and even became conspiracy theorists themselves.

Ouch!

My question is why the officiating had to change in the playoffs? Why not call it like regular season? Doesn't make sense.

Yup. You spend 82 games competing under one set of rules, but then when you get to the playoffs everything changes.

Every season it seems to be the same story: the League telling the teams that there will be no difference between how the playoff games are called and how the regular season games are called. This is never the case. The last SCF that had officiating this unorthodox was 1995 and that one was times worse. So, be up front with everyone at the start of the season as to what to expect. And, three senior referees (I think) called there last games this season; so it's probably only going to get worse. Who knows, more people might become fans.

Over the last 3 years the league has gotten so bad its hard for me to watch.

Next year I will probably keep tabs on the Wings via the net but thats about it.

I may watch them come playoff time, but I wont try as hard to make sure I am available to watch every game.

Two years ago I watched about 75 of 82 plus the playoffs, last year about 30 games and the play offs this year a handful and a handful of playoff games.

To be honest, being a life long hockey fan the game is too hard for me to watch. I dont understand the rules anymore and it frustrates me to no end. So I will have to find other things to do lol.

Guest Shoreline
HAHA RIGHT ON! I was just talking with some Yotes fans who watched the Finals and Semis, and they couldn't agree more. This being Arizona, I watched with alot of buddies who aren't hockey fans at all...they frequently remarked during the entire playoffs that it looked like things were being staged and the officiating was a joke. The non-suspension of Malkin, which was a complete violation of NHL rules, and the CONSTANT jabbering by both Versus and NBC (especially NBC) about CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY turned off most non-hockey people I know.

I'm kinda puzzled as to how people who "aren't hockey fans at all" would be able to tell a game was staged (or why you'd bother taking seriously what they said) if they, not being hockey fans at all (by your statement), likely don't even know the rules or have seen how it's reffed during the regular season to compare?

Edited by Shoreline

I'm kinda puzzled as to how people who "aren't hockey fans at all" would be able to tell a game was staged (or why you'd bother taking seriously what they said) if they, not being hockey fans at all (by your statement), likely don't even know the rules or have seen how it's reffed during the regular season to compare?

I cannot speak for his friends, but I can mine in a simular situation. I explained the rules to them, during the season as they came over (probably with a little help from me throwing out sighs and rolling my eyes everytime a Crosby commercial came on) they formed an opinion that the league loved that guy, as the season went on they felt more sure of it (maybe they were online and read things, maybe this was their own opinions)... I could ask them. But I do know they said the SCF felt staged, scripted or screwed. Personally I am not going as far as to say that it was planned this way, especially since that somewhat implies the Wings would be involved which I will never believe, but I can say I understand what he is saying.

Guest Shoreline
I cannot speak for his friends, but I can mine in a simular situation. I explained the rules to them, during the season as they came over (probably with a little help from me throwing out sighs and rolling my eyes everytime a Crosby commercial came on) they formed an opinion that the league loved that guy, as the season went on they felt more sure of it (maybe they were online and read things, maybe this was their own opinions)... I could ask them. But I do know they said the SCF felt staged, scripted or screwed. Personally I am not going as far as to say that it was planned this way, especially since that somewhat implies the Wings would be involved which I will never believe, but I can say I understand what he is saying.

How would they know a stanley cup finals was screwed? What would they have to gauge that by? Hell, friends of mine who watched it and never saw one before were pissed off at the Wings more than anything else, another friend of mine who watched the Wings last season and texted me what happened for Game 6, 2008 while I was at a concert, said Friday the team was just sucking and the Wings were allowing the Penguins way too much zone time this series, especially Games 6 and 7. It never crossed anyone's mind that I know that these finals were fixed. Even those not Wings fans or have any bias for the Wings here said they looked tired, especially the guys at Little Caesars where I went there in my Lids Winter Classic jersey to order a Hot-N-Ready. This "fixing" conspiracy looks exactly like a typical sociological factor involving an opinion that gets popularly rehashed around in popular circles. Just for humor's sake, what part of it did they say felt "scripted, staged, or screwed"?

Edited by Shoreline

How would they know a stanley cup finals was screwed? What would they have to gauge that by? Hell, friends of mine who watched it and never saw one before were pissed off at the Wings more than anything else, another friend of mine who watched the Wings last season and texted me what happened for Game 6, 2008 while I was at a concert, said Friday the team was just sucking and the Wings were allowing the Penguins way too much zone time this series, especially Games 6 and 7. It never crossed anyone's mind that I know that these finals were fixed. Even those not Wings fans or have any bias for the Wings here said they looked tired, especially the guys at Little Caesars where I went there in my Lids Winter Classic jersey to order a Hot-N-Ready. This "fixing" conspiracy looks exactly like a typical sociological factor involving an opinion that gets popularly rehashed around in popular circles. Just for humor's sake, what part of it did they say felt "scripted, staged, or screwed"?

Hi Shoreline,

As is typical, the shoreline is usually clear to discern. Unfortunately your user name isn't exactly what I expect from someone who claims to have an idea, or in this case the opposite. The Wings were clearly beaten in 2 games in the series Game 4 and Game 7. But, the reality check is that the NHL was more than willing to accomodate hitting, pushing, holding, boarding and interference for the Pens when it was at critical junctures for the other victories. Moreover the Wings were penalized in all the games when it seemed like the push could be too great, or the momentum could swing the entire series in Detroit's favor. The only real strength the Pens could muster most of the time was on the PP. So, what better way to kill Detroit's momentum when the time was right. How can a team like the Penguins believe that the NHL, and that freak show of a Commissioner wasn't backing that team. It's a complete farse. So, here are a couple of goodies to stick in the sand by the shore.

1. Shifting from the 7 game series from Anaheim, the league was more than willing to hurry the SCF along without the typical waiting period of the 3 days. In this case only 2.

2. Why would the NHL decide to carry the first 2 games Back-to-Back (first time in 52 some odd years), and yes you will say it's the NBC ticket, but it all seems too coincidental to me. <_<

3. The monstrous "NO" calls during the series against Detroit.... Too Many Men, etc.. Did it ever happen to the Pens?? No!

4. When game 5 seemed to get out of hand because the Pens were vicious and out of control, where were the game suspensions. As these were given to other teams earlier in the playoffs....hmmmmm. Again nothing from the league office... hmmmm.

These are just a few of the items that I can recall from the series, but I bet if i watched the horror show again i would find plenty more to say. So, when an outsider takes a look at the series from a non-biased position and claims that something seems wrong, well I guess we're all use seeing Detroit manipulated from the league over that past years. You can say what you want, when you feel like your running up hill all the time, it tends to reason that you would eventually tire out. Our team is special, we tend to look to ourselves because we are losing, unlike the other said team that likes to cheap shot and intend to injure when the time is right. The Pens were lead by the hand by the league. The Wings are classy and as good as there has ever been in the league. I will miss them, as I will not watch any more NHL until Bettman is GONE!!!

Go Wings!

I think that "protecting the stars" has already taken effect. Thats what the "New NHL" amounts to. It is quite obvious that the Officials were effecting the outcome of games all playoffs, and in the regular season to a lesser degree. Bettman obviously was pulling for the pens, and has a dislike for Detroit. The list goes on and on. I think that its time for the NHL to go Bye-Bye, and then maybe we can look forward to a REAL league. Its the last thing i want to see happen, but the NHL has almost gone beyond the point of no return. I hope that they can get rid of Bettman and pull someone in that really knows what they are doing and does not go with the old Michael Jordan formula, because that is not what hockey fans want to see. I hope that I can stomach the NHL next yeah but with the coyotes leaving in the next couple of years its looking pretty bleak here in the desert.

Why would Bettman dislike Detroit? It would be like Roger Goodell hating the Packers and Bears!!

The Redwings, and a handful of other teams draw viewers which means more $$ for the NHL.

I could see why he would dislike New Jersey and Anaheim, but Detroit? It just seems illogical.

Guest Shoreline
Hi Shoreline,

As is typical, the shoreline is usually clear to discern. Unfortunately your user name isn't exactly what I expect from someone who claims to have an idea, or in this case the opposite. The Wings were clearly beaten in 2 games in the series Game 4 and Game 7. But, the reality check is that the NHL was more than willing to accomodate hitting, pushing, holding, boarding and interference for the Pens when it was at critical junctures for the other victories. Moreover the Wings were penalized in all the games when it seemed like the push could be too great, or the momentum could swing the entire series in Detroit's favor. The only real strength the Pens could muster most of the time was on the PP. So, what better way to kill Detroit's momentum when the time was right. How can a team like the Penguins believe that the NHL, and that freak show of a Commissioner wasn't backing that team. It's a complete farse. So, here are a couple of goodies to stick in the sand by the shore.

1. Shifting from the 7 game series from Anaheim, the league was more than willing to hurry the SCF along without the typical waiting period of the 3 days. In this case only 2.

2. Why would the NHL decide to carry the first 2 games Back-to-Back (first time in 52 some odd years), and yes you will say it's the NBC ticket, but it all seems too coincidental to me. <_<

3. The monstrous "NO" calls during the series against Detroit.... Too Many Men, etc.. Did it ever happen to the Pens?? No!

4. When game 5 seemed to get out of hand because the Pens were vicious and out of control, where were the game suspensions. As these were given to other teams earlier in the playoffs....hmmmmm. Again nothing from the league office... hmmmm.

These are just a few of the items that I can recall from the series, but I bet if i watched the horror show again i would find plenty more to say. So, when an outsider takes a look at the series from a non-biased position and claims that something seems wrong, well I guess we're all use seeing Detroit manipulated from the league over that past years. You can say what you want, when you feel like your running up hill all the time, it tends to reason that you would eventually tire out. Our team is special, we tend to look to ourselves because we are losing, unlike the other said team that likes to cheap shot and intend to injure when the time is right. The Pens were lead by the hand by the league. The Wings are classy and as good as there has ever been in the league. I will miss them, as I will not watch any more NHL until Bettman is GONE!!!

Go Wings!

Welp, yet another illogical post to send packing.

#'s 1 and 2: The league did not want to compete directly with the NBA finals, for one (primetime TV and other events were in conflict too), as well as other primetime television and was already catching flak from the hockey media for possibly waiting a week. This was obviously recognized by many Wings fans and hockey fans alike. What's the conspiracy there? The back to back thing? Well, you'd have to assume that the league got the Penguins to the final on purpose, because the back to back thing was addressed months ahead of the finals, in fact, before the playoffs even started. Two conspiracies easily shot down.

#3: I love the "etc" next to the Too Many Men, as if calls like that happened more than once, never mind all series long. The Wings were constantly getting away with interference as well. Another point to make regarding the conspiracy s*** is these people NEVER OWN UP TO THE WINGS GETTING CALLS IN THEIR FAVOR TOO. No, it's always the opponent. Forget about the breaks the Wings get, right? Selective outrage.

#4: You didn't even clarify what should have resulted in a suspension. However, much like your "etc" thing I'm sure it must have been true. Not. Grace us with the suspension-worthy incidents. Since you make it seem like suspensions should've been flying, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

And yes, I love the shore. Fresh air. Great for thinking. I would suggest a little of that for yourself.

I think that "protecting the stars" has already taken effect. Thats what the "New NHL" amounts to. It is quite obvious that the Officials were effecting the outcome of games all playoffs, and in the regular season to a lesser degree.

I will go ahead and agree that I hate how the NHL is trying to emulate the NBA, the second least popular of the "Big 4". Why not aim high and look to the NFL for inspiration?

Honestly, how would you rate Phoenix as a hockey city?

Personally, I think they might be okay if the team did not suck so bad. I mean, look at the "hockey hotbed" that is Dallas. Though Dallas seems like a better sports city than Phoenix for some reason, so it is all up in the air.

Why would Bettman dislike Detroit? It would be like Roger Goodell hating the Packers and Bears!!

The Redwings, and a handful of other teams draw viewers which means more $$ for the NHL.

I could see why he would dislike New Jersey and Anaheim, but Detroit? It just seems illogical.

He is trying to show owners and display to them how anyone can win in the NHL. When you have the same team winning over and over again does not help your cause. If the wings bring in $$$ don't you think you would at least see one commercial about them or their players? The NHL is doing to hockey what the NBA did to basketball or MTV did to music :rolleyes: . Both sports are great but at the pro level they suck. College hockey will always be #1 over the NHL for me. The NHL is trying to hard to make a product that they are ruining a great sport.

The league heads are stupid. You have idiotic things such as the trapezoid rule . Now players are racing for the pucks along the boards and getting hurt. Then the debate of touch icings comes up. Next is the tear drop post when they could just fix the size of goalies equipment. The punishments and fines have become a joke. They make an example out of one player and let the rest slide.

Guest Shoreline
He is trying to show owners and display to them how anyone can win in the NHL. When you have the same team winning over and over again does not help your cause. If the wings bring in $$$ don't you think you would at least see one commercial about them or their players? The NHL is doing to hockey what the NBA did to basketball or MTV did to music :rolleyes: . Both sports are great but at the pro level they suck. College hockey will always be #1 over the NHL for me. The NHL is trying to hard to make a product that they are ruining a great sport.

The league heads are stupid. You have idiotic things such as the trapezoid rule . Now players are racing for the pucks along the boards and getting hurt. Then the debate of touch icings comes up. Next is the tear drop post when they could just fix the size of goalies equipment. The punishments and fines have become a joke. They make an example out of one player and let the rest slide.

I agree with most of your post, but Beavis and Butthead was the best thing to happen to MTV. :P

Welp, yet another illogical post to send packing.

#'s 1 and 2: The league did not want to compete directly with the NBA finals, for one (primetime TV and other events were in conflict too), as well as other primetime television and was already catching flak from the hockey media for possibly waiting a week. This was obviously recognized by many Wings fans and hockey fans alike. What's the conspiracy there? The back to back thing? Well, you'd have to assume that the league got the Penguins to the final on purpose, because the back to back thing was addressed months ahead of the finals, in fact, before the playoffs even started. Two conspiracies easily shot down.

#3: I love the "etc" next to the Too Many Men, as if calls like that happened more than once, never mind all series long. The Wings were constantly getting away with interference as well. Another point to make regarding the conspiracy s*** is these people NEVER OWN UP TO THE WINGS GETTING CALLS IN THEIR FAVOR TOO. No, it's always the opponent. Forget about the breaks the Wings get, right? Selective outrage.

#4: You didn't even clarify what should have resulted in a suspension. However, much like your "etc" thing I'm sure it must have been true. Not. Grace us with the suspension-worthy incidents. Since you make it seem like suspensions should've been flying, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

And yes, I love the shore. Fresh air. Great for thinking. I would suggest a little of that for yourself.

Worse yet, and this happened all playoffs across many of the series: Terrible linesman.

Its beyond me how they could miss some obvious offsides and the icing last night that led to the first goal. Im not going to go as far as say the league had an agenda, but the lines judges this year were a disgrace.

Pitt had three situations this series in which blown calls by the lines judges benefited the pens.

1) the too many men situation

2) the offside pass that led to the tieing goal in game 3 (I cant remember which goal for sure)

3) the missed icing last night, probably the worst all playoffs.

and the Kronwall hit in the Chicago series where the ref blamed the lines judge.

Im not sure how the NHL can plan to be a top league when every official they put on the ice is making terrible, obvious calls.

The one last night was so obvious even Eddie "Pens G"O called it out as well as Pierre and Doc. Im not sure whats going on with the officials in the NHL but this has to be fixed if they want a consistent, marketable product.

1st question's answer, I only spoke to one of them but he said he did not feel it was screwed, he said that it seemed like it was skewed or leaning, not neccisairy every game, but the marketing and hype was for sure according to him which put him off (the usual every other commercial crosby things which anyone who has the NHL network realizes and I believe even Babcock spoke about how the commercials made it look like the Pens won last year, so if anything the socialogical factor you speak of is being propogated by the League itself to the point even coaches are willing to speak to it, so you cannot blame fans, casual or otherwise and it is just another reason to be dis-datisfied with the product as a whole). On scripting he felty it was because I was predicting when whistles would be swallowed and when calls would be made well ahead of time (it was kinda a side game were had been playing) with amazing accuracy. 2nd question is kinda answered by the first answer as well, me predicting penalties or periods without calls probably aids in the scripted feel. I personally do not think you can script a hockey game and have leaned more toward calls being made / not made to add drama to the playoffs and not necissarily to benifit a particular team, just to add drama.

Also I do not know where the fixing came from so you will have to clarify. I am the original poster and I thought I made it very clear my complaints were about the NHL product particularly at playoff time and not this series in particular, as you have commented the Wings were guilty of interferance very often as well and the calling of these did not produce consistency or will leave Pens fans had they lost with a big what if which they would have deserved better, especially when comapred to regular season. Perhaps you are satisfied with the product the NHL is putting on the ice and you have every right to that, I on the other hand as well as several friends of mine are not as happy with the product which we also have the right to feel that way, in the end those happy will spend more money on the sport and I will spend less.

Edited by talex

Guest Shoreline
1st question's answer, I only spoke to one of them but he said he did not feel it was screwed, he said that it seemed like it was skewed or leaning, not neccisairy every game, but the marketing and hype was for sure according to him which put him off (the usual every other commercial crosby things which anyone who has the NHL network realizes and I believe even Babcock spoke about how the commercials made it look like the Pens won last year, so if anything the socialogical factor you speak of is being propogated by the League itself to the point even coaches are willing to speak to it, so you cannot blame fans, casual or otherwise and it is just another reason to be dis-datisfied with the product as a whole). On scripting he felty it was because I was predicting when whistles would be swallowed and when calls would be made well ahead of time (it was kinda a side game were had been playing) with amazing accuracy. 2nd question is kinda answered by the first answer as well, me predicting penalties or periods without calls probably aids in the scripted feel. I personally do not think you can script a hockey game and have leaned more toward calls being made / not made to add drama to the playoffs and not necissarily to benifit a particular team, just to add drama.

Also I do not know where the fixing came from so you will have to clarify. I am the original poster and I thought I made it very clear my complaints were about the NHL product particularly at playoff time and not this series in particular, as you have commented the Wings were guilty of interferance very often as well and the calling of these did not produce consistency or will leave Pens fans had they lost with a big what if which they would have deserved better, especially when comapred to regular season. Perhaps you are satisfied with the product the NHL is putting on the ice and you have every right to that, I on the other hand as well as several friends of mine are not as happy with the product which we also have the right to feel that way, in the end those happy will spend more money on the sport and I will spend less.

There's no doubt the league is pushing the Penguins from a marketing standpoint. And hell, given they won the cup it's ever more reason to push them.

Refs have a tendency to swallow their whistles during the finals. This is no new revelation so it's confusing to me as to how this can be part of the assertion that the game is fixed, or as you call it, scripted. What IS new to me is the heightened level they took it to.

And just because I disagree with the scripted feel does not mean I'm happy with the product the NHL has put out. I've voiced my extreme displeasure with the refs, broadcasting, and league decisions quite often.

Guest Shoreline

Obviously Bettman is just smiling -- on the inside -- more for Crosby.

Huskies hit that one on the head. Although we enjoy seeing the Wings be successful year after year, it is not necessarily what the league wants. Especially when they are trying to hype up the pens, and we took the cup from them last year. Put yourselves in his shoes. They want the pens to be the face of the league, in a rematch like there was this year thats reason enough to dislike the Wings.

I will go ahead and agree that I hate how the NHL is trying to emulate the NBA, the second least popular of the "Big 4". Why not aim high and look to the NFL for inspiration?

Honestly, how would you rate Phoenix as a hockey city?

Personally, I think they might be okay if the team did not suck so bad. I mean, look at the "hockey hotbed" that is Dallas. Though Dallas seems like a better sports city than Phoenix for some reason, so it is all up in the air.

When we were having limited success in the late 90s with JR and Tkachuck the Yotes were really starting to take off. Even when Gretzky was announced as head coach there was a lot of excitement. As you said though, if the team was a little better it would help bring people in. Sadly enough as was said on this board in the thread on the coyotes moving, they play 82 away games a year. The flip side of that is that there are a lot of transplant hockey fans here. They simply need a team that they can gather around and be proud of.

Edited by DesertRatWingsFan