• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

NHL as a product now that season is over.

Rate this topic

Another point to be made is that i don't think that people like myself that grew up watching hard nose, old school hockey and enjoyed that style of play will be as willing to transition to the new soft play. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fast break stretch passes and the like that happen in todays game. I do miss the physical element though. I know that hockey of any kind or brand is physical, but i mean the old Probert and Grimson days. There was a clip on here of Stevie Y hooking it out, and at the end Probert sent the dude a message on the end of a diving uppercut. Those were the days... Maybe that makes me a caveman or something but nonetheless, it was entertaining.

Edited by DesertRatWingsFan

Welp, yet another illogical post to send packing.

#'s 1 and 2: The league did not want to compete directly with the NBA finals, for one (primetime TV and other events were in conflict too), as well as other primetime television and was already catching flak from the hockey media for possibly waiting a week. This was obviously recognized by many Wings fans and hockey fans alike. What's the conspiracy there? The back to back thing? Well, you'd have to assume that the league got the Penguins to the final on purpose, because the back to back thing was addressed months ahead of the finals, in fact, before the playoffs even started. Two conspiracies easily shot down.

#3: I love the "etc" next to the Too Many Men, as if calls like that happened more than once, never mind all series long. The Wings were constantly getting away with interference as well. Another point to make regarding the conspiracy s*** is these people NEVER OWN UP TO THE WINGS GETTING CALLS IN THEIR FAVOR TOO. No, it's always the opponent. Forget about the breaks the Wings get, right? Selective outrage.

#4: You didn't even clarify what should have resulted in a suspension. However, much like your "etc" thing I'm sure it must have been true. Not. Grace us with the suspension-worthy incidents. Since you make it seem like suspensions should've been flying, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

And yes, I love the shore. Fresh air. Great for thinking. I would suggest a little of that for yourself.

Well, then have someone blow in your ear, because that's the problem then with the fresh part. When you refere to send packing, I was hoping you would pack your bull and keep quiet. I read more of your posts to find a huge falacious touting idiot who spends too much time clouting about the only thing keeping him happy. Hopefully this reply finds you smugly appreciating yourself for all the specific useless information you've attained.

You know, this was actually pretty hilarious to find you clambering on to this thread to keep yourself amused. I'm sure the fun will eventually wear out in a couple of weeks. Don't worry though, I'll continue to keep my opinion of what s*** the NHL is at this point. I've been watching hockey for a very long time to know what is push and what isn't, and I guess you either work for them or would like too. That might be your calling if you haven't tried to snuggle some hairy orbs already.

And the great for thinking part was enlightening for such a small bulb.... keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Go Wings.

I'm kinda puzzled as to how people who "aren't hockey fans at all" would be able to tell a game was staged (or why you'd bother taking seriously what they said) if they, not being hockey fans at all (by your statement), likely don't even know the rules or have seen how it's reffed during the regular season to compare?

Shoreline, I would expect better from you, sir.

The point I was trying to make was to rate the "NHL as a product" which is being sold to (under Bettman), at least in OUR country, people that are not already hockey fans. I am not in that segment of the market, and neither are you...or anyone else on this board. The reactions that new fans or potential fans have to "the product" are very telling when it comes to rating said product. I was not saying the game was staged, merely passing on comments. Honestly, I think they mistook pathetic officiating in a pro league for something alot worse. In any case, it is a poor reflection on the NHL and how Bettman is attempting to sell it to new fans. I mean that is the whole point behind hyping up Crosby to Americans, and sticking teams in non-hockey cities, right?

Guest Shoreline
Well, then have someone blow in your ear, because that's the problem then with the fresh part. When you refere to send packing, I was hoping you would pack your bull and keep quiet. I read more of your posts to find a huge falacious touting idiot who spends too much time clouting about the only thing keeping him happy. Hopefully this reply finds you smugly appreciating yourself for all the specific useless information you've attained.

You know, this was actually pretty hilarious to find you clambering on to this thread to keep yourself amused. I'm sure the fun will eventually wear out in a couple of weeks. Don't worry though, I'll continue to keep my opinion of what s*** the NHL is at this point. I've been watching hockey for a very long time to know what is push and what isn't, and I guess you either work for them or would like too. That might be your calling if you haven't tried to snuggle some hairy orbs already.

And the great for thinking part was enlightening for such a small bulb.... keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Go Wings.

I'll definitely keep up the good work. I'll tear apart your silly, flawed arguments, while your one and only retort is 2.5 paragraphs of personal attacks. Thanks for playing.

Shoreline, I would expect better from you, sir.

The point I was trying to make was to rate the "NHL as a product" which is being sold to (under Bettman), at least in OUR country, people that are not already hockey fans. I am not in that segment of the market, and neither are you...or anyone else on this board. The reactions that new fans or potential fans have to "the product" are very telling when it comes to rating said product. I was not saying the game was staged, merely passing on comments. Honestly, I think they mistook pathetic officiating in a pro league for something alot worse. In any case, it is a poor reflection on the NHL and how Bettman is attempting to sell it to new fans. I mean that is the whole point behind hyping up Crosby to Americans, and sticking teams in non-hockey cities, right?

I would disagree with that sentiment if I'm understanding you correctly.. not entirely sure what you mean. If you're suggesting new fan's opinions would be a good gauge of the refereeing, then I disagree. If you're saying a new fan's opinion and willing to continue watching NHL hockey are a gauge of the NHL's ability to market to a non-hockey base, I would agree. The refereeing issue is one with fans who are mostly what one would consider established. New hockey fans aren't really going to care one way or another about this much in-depth criticism of referees unless they're either exposed to this argument already and thus have a bias toward that viewpoint, or the refereeing is so abysmal and slanted it gets national attention, like the referee scandal in the NBA.

I'll definitely keep up the good work. I'll tear apart your silly, flawed arguments, while your one and only retort is 2.5 paragraphs of personal attacks. Thanks for playing.

"There's no doubt the league is pushing the Penguins from a marketing standpoint. And hell, given they won the cup it's ever more reason to push them.

Refs have a tendency to swallow their whistles during the finals. This is no new revelation so it's confusing to me as to how this can be part of the assertion that the game is fixed, or as you call it, scripted. What IS new to me is the heightened level they took it to.

And just because I disagree with the scripted feel does not mean I'm happy with the product the NHL has put out. I've voiced my extreme displeasure with the refs, broadcasting, and league decisions quite often. "

On one of your posts you said the previous quote, after I commented initially. Well, this seems like a parity with what we've been saying, it's just you didn't like being on the other end. The more i read your posts, the more it seems like your opinion is the only thing you really care about. The rest of the whole show is you making yourself feel goooood! This is exactly the reason I suggested that you were basically a fish with a paper ass, in my last post. Stay in SF, I can guess the bulls*** floats there.

What an idiot.

Go Wings.

Guest Shoreline
On one of your posts you said the previous quote, after I commented initially. Well, this seems like a parity with what we've been saying, it's just you didn't like being on the other end. The more i read your posts, the more it seems like your opinion is the only thing you really care about. The rest of the whole show is you making yourself feel goooood! This is exactly the reason I suggested that you were basically a fish with a paper ass, in my last post. Stay in SF, I can guess the bulls*** floats there.

What an idiot.

Go Wings.

Welcome back to the debate!.. well, sort of.

Pushing a team from a marketing standpoint has nothing to do with parity. The Penguins didn't even make the playoffs several seasons ago and were being pushed from a marketing standpoint. Crosby was going to be the face of the league whether he won a cup or not.

There is an increased amount of parity in the league but parity isn't the same two teams making it back to the finals, especially when it involves the Detroit Red Wings. It's still the best team wins.

And maybe when you can fill your argument with something that has actual decent points rather than insults you might actually be taken for something more than a dumbass. You're only shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by Shoreline