30 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

I'm a douchebag

• Restricted
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Shaman464 @ June 13, 2009 - 02:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya but they'd have to be willing to take almost as much salary back from us, and the questions is: Who do we have that they would want to take off our hands to make up for his salary?

Yeah, too bad Hossa has history there.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

More Canadian sandpaper on our 3rd and 4th line, and less euro pudding.

Also, no Hossa. He'll ruin our salary cap and our playoff run.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (blueadams @ June 13, 2009 - 01:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#1) lets put an end to the phrase - "osgood is back to old form." he's playing much better now than he has at any point in his career.

Fair enough. I was using it in the sense of him being as good as he was, and getting out of his slump.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#24 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

If we didnt re-sign Hossa and looked at the possibility of letting go of two of the following: Sammy, Huds, Malts and Kopecky, we could seriously entertain guys like Cammalleri (3.6 mill this yr.) and some talented role players like: Chad Larose (875000) Travis Moen (925,000) who is gritty as hell. Perhaps we need to be a bit more sandpaperish. Not signing Hossa to a long term contract would allow us someone like Cammie...who I really think is an amazing player and clutch in the playoffs...
Hossa re-signs and we are up against the wall all year. Not resigning his gives us a ton of options
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#25 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Motown4013 @ June 13, 2009 - 02:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we didnt re-sign Hossa and looked at the possibility of letting go of two of the following: Sammy, Huds, Malts and Kopecky, we could seriously entertain guys like Cammalleri (3.6 mill this yr.) and some talented role players like: Chad Larose (875000) Travis Moen (925,000) who is gritty as hell. Perhaps we need to be a bit more sandpaperish. Not signing Hossa to a long term contract would allow us someone like Cammie...who I really think is an amazing player and clutch in the playoffs...
Hossa re-signs and we are up against the wall all year. Not resigning his gives us a ton of options

this is what im talking about...if u dont want to resign hossa, fine, get better players. but if you dont want to resign him for the sake of bringing sammy and hudler back.....go fly a kite

#26 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

You guys overlook something:

Signing Hossa doesn't limit us as much as you might think. Even without Hossa there are not any sure-fire fits with the Wings above grinder-level. And replacing Hossa with a grinder doesn't make any sense at all. So yes, it SEEMS like we're screwed if we re-sign Hossa cap-wise, but really, who else are we goign to get?

It's really down to Bouwmeester or a few roleplayers who could disappear even easier than Hossa did.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#27 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ June 13, 2009 - 11:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys overlook something:

Signing Hossa doesn't limit us as much as you might think. Even without Hossa there are not any sure-fire fits with the Wings above grinder-level. And replacing Hossa with a grinder doesn't make any sense at all. So yes, it SEEMS like we're screwed if we re-sign Hossa cap-wise, but really, who else are we goign to get?

It's really down to Bouwmeester or a few roleplayers who could disappear even easier than Hossa did.

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
I couldn't have said it better myself

Neil, or whoever everyone has elected to the wings will not fill the role of what we really need, its not Grit, we have Helm (who will be a wing next season) and Abs who will be great 3rd line guys for us. We need secondary scoring from somewhere, whether from the backend or the forward position. If we lose Hossa and Hudler who will replace the 110+ points that they produced in the reg season? Neil won't. With the decline of Homer, we really could be a one line team next year if we lose those 2 guys and don't replace them. And even if we split up Dats and Z we still kinda have to use players who aren't 100% suited as fill ins.

Franzen-Z-Cleary
Flip-Dats-?

While they are good players, I would feel a lot better not having Cleary as a first line player all season, hes so much better on the first line when he proves he can keep up, which is for about 1/2 the season, but, hes like a lot of role players, hes hot for a month, and then cools down. So my point is this, grinders aren't a bad idea, but, we need balanced scoring to win.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#28 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

I love how everybody is afraid to lose a 40 goal scoring playoff no show... Remember Brendan Shanahan?

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Motown4013 @ June 13, 2009 - 01:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say go for Cammalleri, & Komisarek; both ex-Wolverines.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ June 14, 2009 - 07:30AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say go for Cammalleri, & Komisarek; both ex-Wolverines.

well, sounds like we're set defensively according to holand. so no raffy trades. ---> part of replacing all the pts that hudler gives u in the reg. season (but not the playoffs...for some reason?) is NOT giving up all the pts that he gave up in the reg. season with his poor defense.

#31 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (blueadams @ June 13, 2009 - 10:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this is what im talking about...if u dont want to resign hossa, fine, get better players. but if you dont want to resign him for the sake of bringing sammy and hudler back.....go fly a kite

Actually, you can go fly a kite as you RE READ my post....There are 5-6 guys that could go or not be re-signed this year. This is not all interdependant on Hossa...Hudler could get an offer of 3 mill and walk because we won't match that. I was simply stating that we COULD get a player like Cammie and still keep Huds..and those are good options if Hossa is not an option.
You want to trade Raffie when the guy was 3rd in D points this year? Now we find out he was playing with a herniated disc in the playoffs. Talk about throwing someone under a bus
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!