• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Holland: No more surgeries needed for playoff injuries

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
By the time the Stanley Cup finals began, Red Wings defenseman Brian Rafalski was in such pain, he had to be careful about how to position his tender back.

He was one of a handful of Wings who finished the playoffs bruised and battered. But on the good-news side, none is expected to go under the knife.

“Nobody requires any off-season surgery,†general manager Ken Holland said today. “It’s all just a matter of time and rest. They need some rest, and then they’ll be good to go in two to three weeks.

Here’s a breakdown of the injuries:

• Nicklas Lidstrom: He was speared in the testicles by Patrick Sharp during Game 3 against Chicago and underwent surgery on the area two days later. he Missed Games 4 and 5 against Chicago, then returned and played every game of the Cup finals.

• Rafalski: He ruptured a disk in his back between the first and second round but returned for Game 6 against Anaheim. “It got to the point where he could play again,†Holland said, “but if had been the regular season, he would have been out another week or two. He played through the pain of a herniated disk.â€

• Kris Draper: He missed the first 10 games of the playoffs after taking a stick to the throat that tore cartilage in the neck area, Holland said. “As a precaution, we didn’t want him to get hit in the neck and have something go down the air pipe wrong.†Draper was out from Game 4 against Chicago to Game 5 against Pittsburgh because of a pulled groin.

• Pavel Datsyuk: Suffered a charley horse when he was hit along the boards and also was hit by a slap shot in his foot during Game 2 against Chicago, causing him to miss seven games. “The charley horse turned out to be more significant,†Holland said. “He never was 100% -- he didn’t have any thrust. A charley horse can be a 4-6-week injury, but he pushed through to play.â€

• Dan Cleary: Played through a groin pull suffered in Game 4 against Pittsburgh. “He was very sore after Game 4, and we didn’t expect him to play in Game 5,†Holland said. “An MRI showed he had a significant groin injury, but he wanted to play.â€

• Tomas Kopecky: Needed surgery after he fractured his right orbital bone following fight with Francois Beauchemin in Game 4 against Anaheim. Missed the rest of the playoffs.

I'm confused.. what about that elbow injury that lidstrom had, they said they would have surgery on it in the offseason?

Guest Shoreline

That's actually quite substantial injuries. Makes sense about the groin injuries, which I think are just results of playing a long season, especially combined with games so close together.

Patrick Sharp = Classless ****** bag. That isn't a spot that you hit someone in by accident!

I wouldn't be surprised if the wings had a little something for him at the beginning of the next season. Just make it legal boys. ;)

Guest Shoreline
So no injury to Hossa eh, wonder if that contract is still in the top drawer waiting to be signed.

As far as I know that's just a rumor.

Guest mindfly

And lidstrom's elbow injury he's had all season? I don't get it at all.....

I wondered if Draper had something going on with his neck. I noticed him wearing either a neck protector or a high necked compression shirt under his uniform.

According to MLive, Draper had taken a stick to the throat that tore some cartilage, so yeah

Then he had that groin pull after that

Injury bug hit us damn hard this year