No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Draper ticked that Crosby snubbed Lidstrom

Rate this topic

... Today, the LA Times comments on it:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blo.../06/crosby.html

And so has the Montreal Gazette.

If you aspire to the status of Orr and Gretzky, you must do the small things right as well as the large things. At his worst moments, Crosby is still the son of Troy Crosby, the man who sent me a couple of abusive, quasi-literate emails after I dared to suggest it was possible Sid the Kid might not win the Calder Trophy his rookie season.

The elder Crosby slagged the other candidates, especially Philadelphia's Jeff Carter and Washington's Alexander Ovechkin - the eventual winner - in a manner that suggested a man with a chip on his shoulder the size of Nova Scotia. It's not easy to escape from the influence of a father like that.

Eric Lindros could never shake free of parents so abrasive that a New York writer once said of him: "he's not bad for a guy who was raised by cave people."

and

If I had a vote, it would have been Fleury, not Evgeni Malkin, winning the Conn Smythe - but it's hard to argue with the choice of a player who was a dominant offensive force throughout the playoffs.

The lovely thing is that as good as he was this year, Crosby right now is no better than the third-best player in the league, after Ovechkin and teammate Malkin.

With this trio of young stars, even Gary Bettman should be able to find a way to get NBC to pay for the product, because it doesn't get any better.

I meant no city has ever won a Stanley Cup Championship and a Super Bowl Championship in the same year. Pittsburgh is the first city to ever accomplish this. Yes the Pats and Sox did win in the same year but it's much easier to win in baseball then it is in hockey or football because there is no salary cap. And as we all know the Red Sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll next to the Yankees. So when your payroll is 120 million like the Red Sox was you should be able to win World Series because other teams in baseball cant match that. Where as in hockey and football there is a cap and more parody and things are more evenly matched and it's harder to win.

- Phillies = $98,269,881. That figure puts them 13th in the MLB in total payroll. Salary's don't always equal titles.

- "Parity"

I meant no city has ever won a Stanley Cup Championship and a Super Bowl Championship in the same year. Pittsburgh is the first city to ever accomplish this. Yes the Pats and Sox did win in the same year but it's much easier to win in baseball then it is in hockey or football because there is no salary cap. And as we all know the Red Sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll next to the Yankees. So when your payroll is 120 million like the Red Sox was you should be able to win World Series because other teams in baseball cant match that. Where as in hockey and football there is a cap and more parody and things are more evenly matched and it's harder to win.

If you don't know what the word means don't use it.

And higher salaries don't make for better teams.

I think this whole Crosby not shaking Lidstrom's hand is highly overblown. Obviously every Wings fan was pissed on Friday night but come on...Crosby had just won the Stanley Cup for the first time. Its not that he is disrespectful or anything like that, he was just caught up and he even said so. Would it have been better if he shook his hand? Obviously. But it is what it is. No big deal.

Edited by superstarsingh

This is being way overblown. You guys complaining about this are in the "bargaining" stage of grief. You know you can't do anything about the Wings losing at this time so you will match it with something that makes you feel good (or something that will make your opponent feel bad). Clearly, Crosby is an easy target.

My PhD educated neighbor complained about the same thing. She believes that Crosby intentionally snubbed Lidstrom. If you were Crosby, would you use the winning of the Stanley Cup as the forum to snub your enemies? If I won the cup, I would be in la la land and be in love with everyone.

I will say that as captain, Crosby should have been more aware of his responsibilities and gone and made sure that he shook the hand of the other captain. This is an oversight and a mistake made by a young giddy winner. But there is no way in hell that he was intentionally dissing Lidstrom. If you believe that, then you are "bargaining."

Marian Hossa defended [Crosby].

"After the game, when I start shaking their hands, I did not think, 'Who is there and who is not there?' " Hossa said. "After, I think about it and I thought that I did not remember shaking hands with Sid. I'm sure he was caught in the emotion and did not know where he was.

"I know him. He would not do it deliberately. He is a great guy. I think he was just excited and caught up in the emotion."

I think this whole Crosby not shaking Lidstrom's hand is highly overblown. Obviously every Wings fan was pissed on Friday night but come on...Crosby had just won the Stanley Cup for the first time. Its not that he is disrespectful or anything like that, he was just caught up and he even said so. Would it have been better if he shook his hand? Obviously. But it is what it is. No big deal.

This.

This is being way overblown. You guys complaining about this are in the "bargaining" stage of grief. You know you can't do anything about the Wings losing at this time so you will match it with something that makes you feel good (or something that will make your opponent feel bad). Clearly, Crosby is an easy target.

My PhD educated neighbor complained about the same thing. She believes that Crosby intentionally snubbed Lidstrom. If you were Crosby, would you use the winning of the Stanley Cup as the forum to snub your enemies? If I won the cup, I would be in la la land and be in love with everyone.

I will say that as captain, Crosby should have been more aware of his responsibilities and gone and made sure that he shook the hand of the other captain. This is an oversight and a mistake made by a young giddy winner. But there is no way in hell that he was intentionally dissing Lidstrom. If you believe that, then you are "bargaining."

Marian Hossa defended [Crosby].

"After the game, when I start shaking their hands, I did not think, 'Who is there and who is not there?' " Hossa said. "After, I think about it and I thought that I did not remember shaking hands with Sid. I'm sure he was caught in the emotion and did not know where he was.

"I know him. He would not do it deliberately. He is a great guy. I think he was just excited and caught up in the emotion."

And this.

And now it's time for the 8:00am news and your local traffic report.

Youtube's a wonderful thing

Look for last year's cup celebration, and how much time passed between the final buzzer and the beginning of the handshake line.

Then do the same for this year's. You'd be surprised at the results.

Why would he shake the hand of the team that purposefully tried to injure him? He was too busy celebrating being the youngest captain ever to win the Stanley Cup. Sidney's such a competitor.

Penguin trolls are wonderful too. Actually, not so much.

If you think soembody was out to purposefully injure Crosby, you need to decrease the dosage of whatever you are on. And we all know Crosby is a competitior. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Youtube's a wonderful thing

Look for last year's cup celebration, and how much time passed between the final buzzer and the beginning of the handshake line.

Then do the same for this year's. You'd be surprised at the results.

Your sig is too large, fyi.

And I don't think time limit is any kind of excuse. I doubt the Pens celebration was the shortest in Stanley Cup Finals history either. Crosby SHOULD have been one of the first to be shaking hands.

That said, I don't hold it against him. I hold it against the media for trying to interview him BEFORE the handshake line.