• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#321 wingfan4ever

wingfan4ever

Forever and ever...

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'd be ticked too. He acted like a self-centered little kid at a birthday party where all he could think (or possibly care about) was opening his presents and everything else came second. I don't know where the hell Babcock saw some "great leadership" or whatever his exact quote was, in Crosby.
Posted Image

#322 Mister Puck

Mister Puck

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Free_Candy @ June 16, 2009 - 12:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bragging about how many cups you have as an original six team compared to a team that was formed in the late 60s is kind of douchey. If you want to brag about the fact that you have 4 cups in the last 40 years compared to us having 3, that's fine. But the whole "City of Champions" is the Pens/Steelers thing for this year, much like the Pirates and Steelers in 1979. At least that's my take on it.

Yeah, that's about it right there. 7 of the Wings cups were won over 50 years ago, when only six teams were in the league. That argument doesn't hold a lot of weight.

As far as the Crosby issue goes, nobody on either side of the Pens/Wings fence will ever see eye-to-eye on it. However, the crying that Draper and Zetterberg have been doing about the Crosby-handshake matter isn't going unnoticed in the national media. Today, the LA Times comments on it:

http://latimesblogs..../06/crosby.html

Edited by Mister Puck, 16 June 2009 - 12:41 PM.

#323 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (wingfan4ever @ June 16, 2009 - 11:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be ticked too. He acted like a self-centered little kid at a birthday party where all he could think (or possibly care about) was opening his presents and everything else came second. I don't know where the hell Babcock saw some "great leadership" or whatever his exact quote was, in Crosby.

Come on man.

It's game 7 of a championship. You just lost. Of course you are going to feel extra angry or sad. On the flip side, the team that won is going to be the exact opposite, on the biggest emotional high and celebrating and living in the moment with teammates/coaches first.

The only reason this is getting this much pub is because it is Crosby, and Wings fans are bitter. This is just like when Lebron James didn't shake hands with Magic players due to large frustration of being eliminated. Only reason that got pub was because it was Lebron. Any other Cavs player, little/nothing would be made about it.

When you are emotional you're going to forget some basic or simple stuff, I don't care if you are Crosby or Charlie Brown or Darth Vader.

It's a handshake. A fricken handshake. The next thing we're going to see for list of reasons to hate Crosby or Pittsburgh is that it rained last Sunday.

This should barely even be a story.

#324 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Zack is Great @ June 15, 2009 - 07:36PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being angry isn't programmed into Lidstroms sub-routines. The only thing he knows is "Great Hockey" and "Death Glare"

well then we should all follow suit and drop this silly thread.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#325 87to71

87to71

Rookie

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Zack is Great @ June 16, 2009 - 01:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wtf are you talking about? Do you even look at what you type?

Read this again, cause you typed it.

"No Team has ever won a Stanley Cup Championship and a Super Bowl Championship in until this season."

And no team ever will, dumb ass. They're two entirely different teams.

Now, assuming you actually meant "No City has done it before," well, if only taking into account Hockey and Football, thats true.

However, the Boston Red Sox and the New England Patriots have won it in the same year, and Baseball has a much smaller playoff pool than Hockey, making it in some ways even more difficult.

I meant no city has ever won a Stanley Cup Championship and a Super Bowl Championship in the same year. Pittsburgh is the first city to ever accomplish this. Yes the Pats and Sox did win in the same year but it's much easier to win in baseball then it is in hockey or football because there is no salary cap. And as we all know the Red Sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll next to the Yankees. So when your payroll is 120 million like the Red Sox was you should be able to win World Series because other teams in baseball cant match that. Where as in hockey and football there is a cap and more parody and things are more evenly matched and it's harder to win.

#326 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Mister Puck @ June 16, 2009 - 12:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Today, the LA Times comments on it:
http://latimesblogs..../06/crosby.html

And so has the Montreal Gazette.
If you aspire to the status of Orr and Gretzky, you must do the small things right as well as the large things. At his worst moments, Crosby is still the son of Troy Crosby, the man who sent me a couple of abusive, quasi-literate emails after I dared to suggest it was possible Sid the Kid might not win the Calder Trophy his rookie season.

The elder Crosby slagged the other candidates, especially Philadelphia's Jeff Carter and Washington's Alexander Ovechkin - the eventual winner - in a manner that suggested a man with a chip on his shoulder the size of Nova Scotia. It's not easy to escape from the influence of a father like that.

Eric Lindros could never shake free of parents so abrasive that a New York writer once said of him: "he's not bad for a guy who was raised by cave people."

and
If I had a vote, it would have been Fleury, not Evgeni Malkin, winning the Conn Smythe - but it's hard to argue with the choice of a player who was a dominant offensive force throughout the playoffs.

The lovely thing is that as good as he was this year, Crosby right now is no better than the third-best player in the league, after Ovechkin and teammate Malkin.

With this trio of young stars, even Gary Bettman should be able to find a way to get NBC to pay for the product, because it doesn't get any better.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#327 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 16, 2009 - 04:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant no city has ever won a Stanley Cup Championship and a Super Bowl Championship in the same year. Pittsburgh is the first city to ever accomplish this. Yes the Pats and Sox did win in the same year but it's much easier to win in baseball then it is in hockey or football because there is no salary cap. And as we all know the Red Sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll next to the Yankees. So when your payroll is 120 million like the Red Sox was you should be able to win World Series because other teams in baseball cant match that. Where as in hockey and football there is a cap and more parody and things are more evenly matched and it's harder to win.

- Phillies = $98,269,881. That figure puts them 13th in the MLB in total payroll. Salary's don't always equal titles.

- "Parity"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#328 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (87to71 @ June 16, 2009 - 04:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't know what the word means don't use it.

And higher salaries don't make for better teams.

#329 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

I think this whole Crosby not shaking Lidstrom's hand is highly overblown. Obviously every Wings fan was pissed on Friday night but come on...Crosby had just won the Stanley Cup for the first time. Its not that he is disrespectful or anything like that, he was just caught up and he even said so. Would it have been better if he shook his hand? Obviously. But it is what it is. No big deal.

Edited by superstarsingh, 16 June 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#330 playoffhockeyfan

playoffhockeyfan

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

This is being way overblown. You guys complaining about this are in the "bargaining" stage of grief. You know you can't do anything about the Wings losing at this time so you will match it with something that makes you feel good (or something that will make your opponent feel bad). Clearly, Crosby is an easy target.

My PhD educated neighbor complained about the same thing. She believes that Crosby intentionally snubbed Lidstrom. If you were Crosby, would you use the winning of the Stanley Cup as the forum to snub your enemies? If I won the cup, I would be in la la land and be in love with everyone.

I will say that as captain, Crosby should have been more aware of his responsibilities and gone and made sure that he shook the hand of the other captain. This is an oversight and a mistake made by a young giddy winner. But there is no way in hell that he was intentionally dissing Lidstrom. If you believe that, then you are "bargaining."

Marian Hossa defended [Crosby].

"After the game, when I start shaking their hands, I did not think, 'Who is there and who is not there?' " Hossa said. "After, I think about it and I thought that I did not remember shaking hands with Sid. I'm sure he was caught in the emotion and did not know where he was.

"I know him. He would not do it deliberately. He is a great guy. I think he was just excited and caught up in the emotion."

#331 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (superstarsingh @ June 16, 2009 - 06:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this whole Crosby not shaking Lidstrom's hand is highly overblown. Obviously every Wings fan was pissed on Friday night but come on...Crosby had just won the Stanley Cup for the first time. Its not that he is disrespectful or anything like that, he was just caught up and he even said so. Would it have been better if he shook his hand? Obviously. But it is what it is. No big deal.

This.

QUOTE (playoffhockeyfan @ June 16, 2009 - 09:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is being way overblown. You guys complaining about this are in the "bargaining" stage of grief. You know you can't do anything about the Wings losing at this time so you will match it with something that makes you feel good (or something that will make your opponent feel bad). Clearly, Crosby is an easy target.

My PhD educated neighbor complained about the same thing. She believes that Crosby intentionally snubbed Lidstrom. If you were Crosby, would you use the winning of the Stanley Cup as the forum to snub your enemies? If I won the cup, I would be in la la land and be in love with everyone.

I will say that as captain, Crosby should have been more aware of his responsibilities and gone and made sure that he shook the hand of the other captain. This is an oversight and a mistake made by a young giddy winner. But there is no way in hell that he was intentionally dissing Lidstrom. If you believe that, then you are "bargaining."

Marian Hossa defended [Crosby].

"After the game, when I start shaking their hands, I did not think, 'Who is there and who is not there?' " Hossa said. "After, I think about it and I thought that I did not remember shaking hands with Sid. I'm sure he was caught in the emotion and did not know where he was.

"I know him. He would not do it deliberately. He is a great guy. I think he was just excited and caught up in the emotion."

And this.

And now it's time for the 8:00am news and your local traffic report.

#332 CrosbyIsAwesome

CrosbyIsAwesome

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

Why would he shake the hand of the team that purposefully tried to injure him? He was too busy celebrating being the youngest captain ever to win the Stanley Cup. Sidney's such a competitor.

#333 Mtl-PenFan

Mtl-PenFan

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Youtube's a wonderful thing

Look for last year's cup celebration, and how much time passed between the final buzzer and the beginning of the handshake line.

Then do the same for this year's. You'd be surprised at the results.
http://www.letsgowin...?act=boardrules

Signatures are limited to ONE jpg/gif image no larger than 400x100 pixels. Images that are larger than this will be removed by the moderating staff without warning.

#334 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (CrosbyIsAwesome @ June 17, 2009 - 11:36AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would he shake the hand of the team that purposefully tried to injure him? He was too busy celebrating being the youngest captain ever to win the Stanley Cup. Sidney's such a competitor.

Penguin trolls are wonderful too. Actually, not so much.

If you think soembody was out to purposefully injure Crosby, you need to decrease the dosage of whatever you are on. And we all know Crosby is a competitior. Thank you Captain Obvious.

#335 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Mtl-PenFan @ June 17, 2009 - 12:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Youtube's a wonderful thing

Look for last year's cup celebration, and how much time passed between the final buzzer and the beginning of the handshake line.

Then do the same for this year's. You'd be surprised at the results.

Your sig is too large, fyi.

And I don't think time limit is any kind of excuse. I doubt the Pens celebration was the shortest in Stanley Cup Finals history either. Crosby SHOULD have been one of the first to be shaking hands.

That said, I don't hold it against him. I hold it against the media for trying to interview him BEFORE the handshake line.

#336 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

This still going on, really come on guys, let it go.
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U