• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingMachine91

looking way ahead

Rate this topic

so with all this talk of hossa and not resigning him, it got me thinking, lets say that we dont and keep the team we have. now next year we are still looking good. but the year after that when ozzy is really getting older and lids contract is up,

do you guys see holland going after somebody like Luongo? If lids retires we will actually need a great goalie( not saying ozzy isnt but in two years who knows) and luongo might not want to resign in vancover.

do you think anybody on the wings has that kind of forsight and do you think this could be a good option. that would really reload the team and help fill the void of lidstrom in case he retires or if he doesnt I do think that he will take a reduced salary. thoughts?

It wouldn't surprise me. He's gone after a marquee free agent goalie before, just to impress the press (Hasek, CuJo). I think it's a dumb idea. A superstar goaltender can turn a talent-thin team into a competitor by stealing games. The way the Wings are built, though, they should just need a guy who won't screw things up too badly. No goalie in history could stop everything. Some pucks are out of the netminder's control, no matter how good he is. When your team routinely outshoots its opponent by 10 or more and controls the puck for most of the game, you just need a guy who isn't a total sieve. With this stupid salary cap in place, it wouldn't be prudent to be paying a goalie seven or eight million bucks a year.

Hmm possible, I would say it really depends on how Larsson, and Howard look. Possibly even a little later down the road, McCollum who is having as good of a start to a young goalies career as practically possible. I can see the wing's getting a veteran stop gap for some of our younger prospects to get a chance to develop. Who knows, I trust Holland especially when it comes to goalies=)

No need to pay BIG money for goalie... what we need is another DEF - I would like to get Jay B - but Exelby would be great addition, and we need DRAKE type of player: Moen, Neil, Lappy, Clutterback...

I think that Hossa will stay ($5m) should be enough to keep him in Hockeytown. My concern is : what's going on with Homer? Is there any chances that he will retire?

Don't forget : Detroit NEED to draft Kassian.

I think we'll know after next year if Howard or Larsson have any possibility of becoming our no.1 in the near future. If not, Holland probably needs to seriously look for a goalie. Don't know about Luongo. That might be too much money for someone that doesn't strike me as being the most clutch goalie ever.

First I would like to say that I hope we do keep Hossa, I know he bobbled in this series and really wasnt offensively active much in the playoffs but I think if he was given another chance he'd be able to learn from this past season and playoffs and be more prepared for next season. Now once Lids retires I don't think Holland will go after a big name goalie. Tom McCollum is going to be in GR next season and if he continues to play as well as he has in the Juniors this season. Helping his team to make it to the Memorial Cup Finals. I think on defense we will be ok.

Big E will develop over the years and I think he can fill a void on defense and Jakub Kindl I believe is going to be able to come up soon unless we move him and he had a pretty good season in Grand Rapids this past season I mean he was on the AHL All-Star Team this season so if Holland and Babsy think that he is ready than we will be able to have another D-Man in the line-up.

Don't forget depending on what happens this season or next season we still have Kronwall who is a great Defensman along with Sturart, Rafalski who will probably be lookin at the end of his career in the coming years and Lebda and if Lils can get healthy and come back that would be great.

When it comes time for Ozzie to hang up the pads I think Tom McCollum will be ready to make his way into the NHL I know the Wings like to develop their players slowly but if he can keep playing this good maybe they won't have to which would be a big relief. I really feel that in the coming years Detroit will be fine. Now I wish I could predict when the Wing ARE going to Win another Cup but no one can do that we may need to build on small accomplishments at a time and move forward making changes when necessary. I really feel that we will be fine and I don't see going after a big name goalie would need to be done unless something drastic happens.

The difference in a top tier goalie like Luongo and Brodeur is not mathematically significant enough to make it worth the difference in cap hit of a 2nd tier goalie like Osgood, in the salary cap era.

The Wings current philosophy of 2nd tier goalie and top tier elite Dmen works with the Wings system becuase they need Dmen that can shut down super stars and move the puck to breaking forwards.

Luongo's stats weren't any better than Conklins. Just like Hossa is catching hell for taking up $7.4 in the budget, Luongo is catching hell for taking up similar amount of their budget while the Canucks still got burned for 3,4,6,and 7 goals by CHicago in a 6 gmae series.

Pay for the top tier Dmen, teach your fowards to play both ends, and save $ on a 2nd tier goalie.

Edit: Wow' my speelingis going to hell and mu tuping is getting roeally bsd, too.

Edited by T.Low

The way the wings are built is not good for luongo. The Wings are built for goaltenders who can Win when it matters, not just put up pretty stats in losses. remember CUJO? same with roberto

There ya go. Fixed it for ya....

i know what you guys are saying, but the reasoning for getting an elite goalie would be because once lids leaves and raf is getting older, do you really expect out D to still be shutting down teams or limiting their shots, or do you think they could look human and give up high shot totals in many games. hence getting that elite goalie.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with reserving 6+ million into a goaltender. Don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the value that a goalie has for a team, however I think the money is better invested in a stellar defensive/forward lineup that can contribute both defensively and offensively, with a solid, but not best-in-the-business goalie for relatively cheap.

Lidstrom is and has been the key. I've felt for the past two offseasons and this one as well that it was time to load up some picks and make a move into the top 5 for an NHL ready defenseman to fill Lid's void when he retires. If I have a choice between an elite goalie or a solid blue chip defenseman I'm still opting for the D-man.

Ericsson looks good and will get even better as he plays more but our two top defensemen are in their mid and late 30's.

Since the Russian 5 of the '90's Detroit has been a puck possession team. That, by definiton, means you need elite quarterback type Dmen in the top 2, not linebacker type Dmen. Holland knows that one way or another, Lidstrom will have to be replaced with a similar style guy that is nearly as capable and can lead the puck possession DCorps.

That will not be an option with a goalie that demands a Luongo type salary.

Weather Kronner can step in and be that guy, we will have to wait and see.