• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike

Books on the history of the NHL

Rate this topic

I want to learn more about the history of the NHL and the many changes that have occurred in its long history. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books or any good websites that discuss this. Thanks.

That book on the above link looks very interesting, I might go and buy it... but do you know about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0771057717

It's the same as the other except it doesn't get published until October 27 of this year. Is it a new edition or just coming out in paperback for the first time?

That book on the above link looks very interesting, I might go and buy it... but do you know about this book?

It's the same as the other except it doesn't get published until October 27 of this year. Is it a new edition or just coming out in paperback for the first time?

Sort of just looks like it is coming out on paperback for the first time. I second this book. It was very interesting and informative. I really liked the part about pro hockey starting in Michigan, in the Keweenaw where I went to college.

CBC also did a 10 part DVD series off this book: http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/product...〈=en-CA

Edited by CenterIce

For a straight up history of the NHL, The Hockey Chronicle (gets updated every couple of years, i think 2007 is the latest edition) is massive, beautiful, and informative. It doesn't deal with rule changes so much, but more with the players, records, and storylines of each individual season.

The Quest for the Cup is also an excellent read about the history of the Cup itself and the teams that have contended for it. Again, that's a few years old but there might be an updated edition.

i have the entire "Hockey: A People's History" that i downloaded as a torrent.

if anyone is interesting in seeing it,

maybe there is a way i can upload it to youtube or something for massive viewing? (the download was 6.5 gb!)

from what ive seen so far it looks like a very informative documentary

Borders says that the paperback version will have a new updated final chapter.

The book is in need of an update (there has been only one since it was first published), but "Total Hockey" is my favourite affordable book on the sport:

sportsclassicbooks dot com.

My favourite unaffordable book set is "The Trail of the Stanley Cup: Vols. 1, 2, 3", By Charles L. Coleman antiqbook dot com.. The set covers hockey games from the "challenge series"until the final season before expansion, with details of every game played for the Stanley Cup. He includes highlights of League meetings with the Governors of the Clubs, results of every regular season game and playoff game played from 1917-18, including final League scoring and goaltending results. I have used these volumes on my trips to the HHOF's Resource Centre. If you ever find this set in a used bookstore or at a garage sale and the price is right, scoop it up; you won't be disappointed.

For a straight up history of the NHL, The Hockey Chronicle (gets updated every couple of years, i think 2007 is the latest edition) is massive, beautiful, and informative. It doesn't deal with rule changes so much, but more with the players, records, and storylines of each individual season.

The Quest for the Cup is also an excellent read about the history of the Cup itself and the teams that have contended for it. Again, that's a few years old but there might be an updated edition.

I picked up a copy of the Hockey Chronicle last year when I was up at camp. It was on sale at Borders for about 6 bucks, and I have to say it was a good investment. Beautifully put together and interesting reading.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20th-Century-Hockey-Chronicle-/130434172600?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item1e5e7b86b8

that's what you're looking for.

Pretty sure I have the same one, with a different Cover. It's a season by season chronicle of the game. I pull it out all the time to brush up on different decades. Definitely recommended for anyone that truly wants to know about the game.

I picked up a copy of the Hockey Chronicle last year when I was up at camp. It was on sale at Borders for about 6 bucks, and I have to say it was a good investment. Beautifully put together and interesting reading.

Yep. When I was getting my wife used to hockey, we'd go through a year in the book every game. By the end of the year, she was addicted to all that is hockey. However, it's just big seasons, playoff summaries, records getting set, award winners, etc. Still… AWESOME.