• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DZ13

Russia (Olympics)

Rate this topic

I'm not saying the team will, or should do this but could you imagine a Ovechkin/Datsyuk/Malkin line in the upcoming olympics?

3 of the top 4 point-getters in the regular season last year.

Not gonna happen; putting those 3 on a line together would be stupid.

Malkin is great at center; I could see AO being paired with either Dats or Malkin, but I doubt other than a PP, Malkin and Dats won't see the ice together.

You have to admit though, with all the other players on that team accounted for there could be some sick lines. I mean, you also have the likes of Ilya Kovulchuck, Alexei Kovalev, Alexander Semin, Sergei Federov - just to name a few.

You have to admit though, with all the other players on that team accounted for there could be some sick lines. I mean, you also have the likes of Ilya Kovulchuck, Alexei Kovalev, Alexander Semin, Sergei Federov - just to name a few.

Right, just saying that you--if you were the coach--would probably be mentally retarded if you were to play Malkin, AO, and Dats on the same line.

Sure, on the PP, but Malkin and Dats are too good at the center to put them on the same line regularly.

Which other Red Wings do you reckon we will see? To avoid confusion, I'm using current Red Wings, who may or may not be playing for us then.

My guess is:

Canada: Yzerman, Babcock, maybe Osgood if he plays well next season. Brad Stuart?

Czech Republic: Not convinced that Hudler will make the Czech team - he puts up points, but often against weaker players, and most of the big Olympic nations will have 4 solid lines. But not a long shot for him to make it.

Finland: Filppula, possibly Leino if he has a good season.

Russia: Datsyuk

Slovakia: Hossa

Sweden: Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzén, Samuelsson. I don't think that Holmström will make the cut, and while Lidström will still be capable of being one of the best defensemen in the tournament, he may not want to come so that he can have ended his international career on a high (Gold in 2006). If Ericsson has a good season, I think that it would be good to have him. If Lilja is healthy, I would like to see him playing, but the organization doesn't like him (along with Tallinder and Huselius) because of an incident that happen a few years ago. However, Huselius did play in the Worlds this year, so his 'ban' might be lifted.

USA: I don't think that Chelios or Lebda will play, but Conklin could conceivably make the team, if only as a back-up. Rafalski will probably play.

Guest mindfly
Ovechkin,Datsyuk,Kovalev

Kovalchuck,Malkin, Semin

Frolov,Federov,Afinogenov

Extras: Kozlov/Samsonov.....???

Pretty damn amazing... I would expect them to challenge sweds/ canada if not win the olympics next year.

You got tons of skilled russians in the KHL too, only the ones you mentioned in the top 2 lines are locks for the olympic team really.

Which other Red Wings do you reckon we will see? To avoid confusion, I'm using current Red Wings, who may or may not be playing for us then.

My guess is:

Canada: Yzerman, Babcock, maybe Osgood if he plays well next season. Brad Stuart?

Czech Republic: Not convinced that Hudler will make the Czech team - he puts up points, but often against weaker players, and most of the big Olympic nations will have 4 solid lines. But not a long shot for him to make it.

Finland: Filppula, possibly Leino if he has a good season.

Russia: Datsyuk

Slovakia: Hossa

Sweden: Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzén, Samuelsson. I don't think that Holmström will make the cut, and while Lidström will still be capable of being one of the best defensemen in the tournament, he may not want to come so that he can have ended his international career on a high (Gold in 2006). If Ericsson has a good season, I think that it would be good to have him. If Lilja is healthy, I would like to see him playing, but the organization doesn't like him (along with Tallinder and Huselius) because of an incident that happen a few years ago. However, Huselius did play in the Worlds this year, so his 'ban' might be lifted.

USA: I don't think that Chelios or Lebda will play, but Conklin could conceivably make the team, if only as a back-up. Rafalski will probably play.

I think you'll see Lidstrom in a Sweden sweater, but you will not see Ericsson in one; Kronwall is like a #5/#6 on the national team.

I also think that Holmstrom may not make the cut, though it's rumored that Forsberg and Sundin won't be playing, so that would open up some spots; Homer should be healthy by then, so I don't see why he wouldn't play.

Leino is a good possibility, considering his 77 point season on Jokerit and 46 point season in the AHL.

He'd almost for sure be a 4th-liner for Finland, though.

Rafalski is almost sure to play for the US. There aren't too many more US-born defensemen that are better.

I can almost guarantee that Stuart won't play for Canada. Pronger, Blake, Bouwmeester, Foote, Mccabe, Redden, Regher were all on the last Olympic roster. By the same token, Ozzie may be a backup, but I doubt he'll be the starter with Brodeur in net.

Ovechkin,Datsyuk,Kovalev

Kovalchuck,Malkin, Semin

Frolov,Federov,Afinogenov

Extras: Kozlov/Samsonov.....???

Pretty damn amazing... I would expect them to challenge sweds/ canada if not win the olympics next year.

Afinogenov?? What have you been smoking? I have to think there are a dozen players in the KHL, such as Morozov, that are ahead of him on the list.

They do have some extremely impressive names.

But the problem with having Datsyuk, Malkin and Ovechkin on the same team is that they all like to have the puck. And so does Kovalchuk.

Who controls the puck on the PP? Who takes the shots? You need players that go in front of the net and do the dirty work, so I'm not so sure Russia will be the unstoppable force some are expecting them to be.

Btw, I think Leino is pretty likely to make the Finnish team. They don't exactly have a wealth of NHL players. A decent first half of the season and he should have a spot on there.

I can't wait!

There for sure will be a line from KHL, guys like Morozov, Radulov lilkely will make it!

Russian defense isn't deep as Sweeds or Canadians, but still can be pretty solid and include Gonchar and Markov

So here is my roster :

Goaltenders

Evgeni Nabokov

Ilya Bryzgalov

Simeon Varlamov

I don't think Nikolai Khabibulin will play, but who knows.

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov, Danny Markov

Sergei Gonchar, Denis Grebeshkov

Anton Volchenkov, Fedor Tyutin

Dmitri Kalinin

Sergey Zubov would be nice addition, but I don't know if he will play.

Also think about Nikulin Ilya from Ak Bars, he may be a good addition to the team.

Forwards:

Alexander Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Alexander Semin

Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Frolov

Nikolai Zherdev, Sergei Fedorov, Alex Radulov,

Morozov Alexey, Mozyakin Sergey, Zaripov Danis

I am not sure who play what position on the KHL line, but they all played on 08 WCH in Canada and played quire well.

Also there might be: Viktor Kozlov, Teryeschenko Alexey and Alexey Yashin

Alex Kovalev will not be called in for obvious reasons.

I think you'll see Lidstrom in a Sweden sweater, but you will not see Ericsson in one; Kronwall is like a #5/#6 on the national team.

I also think that Holmstrom may not make the cut, though it's rumored that Forsberg and Sundin won't be playing, so that would open up some spots; Homer should be healthy by then, so I don't see why he wouldn't play.

Like I said, if Lidström wants to play, he obviously will - however, he may not want to. Sundin has already said that he will never play internationally again, and Forsberg probably won't play again period. Like I said, unless Ericsson has a monster season, I don't think he'll make it. In the last Olympics, I think that Kronwall played with Lidström, but I can't be sure.

I like Holmström, but I don't think he'll play. Sweden will have such a large pool to draw on. I'm not projecting lines, I'm listing some of the forwards Sweden could take, and you can get a good group without Homer.

Franzén-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Berglund-Bäckström-Eriksson

Huselius-MÃ¥rtensson-Weinhandl

Axelsson-PÃ¥hlsson-Alfredsson (in my opinion, Sweden's best line in the last Olympics, with PÃ¥hlsson being our best player)

Sedin-Sedin-maybe you could put Holmström in here but you get my point... Net presence can be taken by Franzén, or someone else.

Homer is great in the NHL, but I'm not sure he'll have a place in the Olympic squad. Last time he played with Zetterberg and Samuelsson, but Franzén will usurp his spot, and I think that there will be plenty of alternatives. He was only brought in last time because Näslund didn't want to play.

The talent for this team is unbelievable. THe question like every Russian team for the past few decades is will they be able to come together and play as a team. If they can do that they certainly have a huge chance for gold.

I can't wait for the Olympics!

can they keep the puck out of their net?

Can Russians play as a solid defensive unit? Hmmm.....

I think they have to be early favourites for gold. Canada, Sweden and possibly either the Czechs or the USA are going to the medal round. The Fins will probably have a bit of a struggle to score and the Slovaks don't have any depth.

I can almost guarantee that Stuart won't play for Canada. Pronger, Blake, Bouwmeester, Foote, Mccabe, Redden, Regher were all on the last Olympic roster. By the same token, Ozzie may be a backup, but I doubt he'll be the starter with Brodeur in net.

Luongo, Brodeur & either Ward or Fleury will be the trio for Canada in net, almost guaranteed.

You'll see Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Weber, Niedermayer (will probably play, seeing as the Olympics are in his home province), Green, Pronger & Keith for Canada on the blueline. Guys like Dan Boyle, Brent Burns & Marc Staal will be mentioned, too.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Cant wait for the olympics! The Big red Russian machine will be unstoppable if they play like a team and buy into Bykov's system (which according to the last 2 years they have). OV, Semin, Pav, Geno and Kovy are going to be near impossible to stop