• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snazzy

Worst NHL Team Names, Logos, or Colors?

Rate this topic

Here is a subject that we don't see on LGWs. Top stupidest NHL team names, ugliest logos and, for fun, the ugliest team colors. Of course this is my opinion.

Summary:

Top 3 dumbest names, logos and colors:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins

2. Anaheim Ducks

3. Phoenix Coyotes / Columbus Blue Jackets (you decide)

Top 3 coolest: (I'm leaving out the Red Wings)

1. Colorado Avalanche

2. New Jersey Devils

3. Dallas Stars / Minnesota Wild (you decide)

-----

New Jersey Devils - Probably one of my favorite team names. Awesome logo.

New York Islanders - Very respectful, represent their city. I cannot disrespect the Islanders. They earned my respect. I hope to see them become the big dog in the east some day soon!

New York Rangers - Again, I respect the Rangers. I'm glad to see them doing well.

Philadelphia Flyers - I like their colors and their logo is legendary, everyone recognizes their logo.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Okay... A penguin? Really? This is the worse name in NHL and when you think about it, how can you take a Penguin serious? Their colors and their jerseys is one of the ugliest in the league and represents nothing. Their logo looks generic, but what do you expect when their team is a penguin? Seriously, a penguins? Maybe it started off on a joke or something and it turned into a franchise.

Boston Bruins - The Bruins is a cool name and makes sense. They get nothing but respect from me, they are an original team.

Buffalo Sabres - Cool. I always like the Sabres name. Not a big fan of their colors, but their logo is recognizable.

Montreal Canadiens - Top notch. Nothing but respect to the Canadians. If I was a Canadian hockey player, I would personally be honored to be on such a team that represents my country and the legendary history.

Ottawa Senators - Unique. They don't follow the trend. The Sens form their own originality.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Nothing but respect to the Leafs. Their colors are honorable. This is another team that any player should feel honored to represent.

Atlanta Thrashers - Indifferent. Their colors are easy on the eyes, the logo works for them and their name makes sense.

Carolina Hurricanes - I appreciate the Canes. their name, logo and colors fit their image.

Florida Panthers - I've always liked Panther name. I grew up in an era where the Panther tattoo was a trend. Panthers is a better name than their success.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Definitely fitting. The logo is a bit cheesy, could be made to be better, but I like the theme.

Washington Capitals - Very respectful. Another team I think players should feel honored to play for. I'm Glad they have AO and are the force in the east. An honorable team, love the theme, colors and logo.

Chicago Blackhawks - I always liked the Blackhawks. Always have to respect the original 6 team. The name, logo and colors are definitely fitting. I'm proud that the Hawks are coming back!

Columbus Blue Jackets - Fits their State and their theme. Though I'm not a fan of the logo and name, it does represent their State.

Detroit Red Wings - Since this team is mine, of course I am going to be bias.

Nashville Predators - Catchy name. Not a fan of their colors.

St. Louis Blues - One of the most recognizable logos in the NHL. The history of this team built more than their name can pronounce. The Blues was a great rivalry.

Calgary Flames - Love the name, color and theme. Probably the top 10.

Colorado Avalanche - Another team that I am fond of their color, logo and name. I think Avs have one of the best looking jerseys in the NHL.

Edmonton Oilers - Respect to edmonton, but one of the most blah themes.

Minnesota Wild - Another great looking jersey. Wild got my attention when they created their organization.

Vancouver Canucks - It's the Canucks, what else is there to say? I think Canadian native hockey players should be proud to play on this team.

Anaheim Ducks - The "Ducks" lol. Okay, this is dumb as the Penguins. The advantage the Ducks have is their jersey and logo is better looking than the Penguins.

Dallas Stars - North Stars should be proud, the Stars is a great name and logo. I'm putting them in the top 10.

Los Angeles Kings - Nice colors but ugly logo. The name is misleading compared to their club.

Phoenix Coyotes - Probably the top 3 dumbest logos in the NHL. Sad to see their current troubles, but the way they utilize their theme has more to be desired.

San Jose Sharks - I am a fan of the Sharks theme. I like their "Shark tank" and I bet this is probably one of the funnest teams to watch in their building because the way they utilize their theme. Teal in white is are cool colors.

Edited by Snazzy

That old Peguins logo they used in the late 90s was great, imo. The original/current one looks like it belongs on a carton of ice cream.

Uhg. You have horrendous taste. You think the Penguins have a bad name, yet you have two teams whose names aren't even plural in your top three.

Wild

Avalanche

Yuck, yuck, yuck. Besides the Buffalo 'slug', the Avalanche have the WORST logo in sports - an 'A' with an avalanche coiling around it? Terrible.

Ottawa Senators - Unique. They don't follow the trend. The Sens form their own originality.

Hahah, what do you mean by unique? Its not a good name, but its plainly obvious, being in the Capital of Canada...there are Senators. It just makes sense - WHICH is what most teams should do for their names and logos. Somple and classic is the way to go.

The Wings and the Blackhawks have the best jerseys in the league, IMO.

Hahah, what do you mean by unique? Its not a good name, but its plainly obvious, being in the Capital of Canada...there are Senators. It just makes sense - WHICH is what most teams should do for their names and logos. Somple and classic is the way to go.

The Wings and the Blackhawks have the best jerseys in the league, IMO.

The team name is ultimately a vintage throwback. It's certainly no less 'unique' than Canadiens or Maple Leafs.

Also, their original profile-head logo jerseys were ******* gorgeous, tied with the Wings as my favourite in the league. Their aesthetics took a huge nose dive when they switched to the 3/4 view.

The team name is ultimately a vintage throwback. It's certainly no less 'unique' than Canadiens or Maple Leafs.

Also, their original profile-head logo jerseys were ******* gorgeous, tied with the Wings as my favourite in the league. Their aesthetics took a huge nose dive when they switched to the 3/4 view.

Completely agree--they had a classic look and trashed it up with their two previous 3rds (one of which became a regular jersey). It's better now, but the original logo was still better. Still, I respect the throwback name and colors.

I think the NHL in general has the best collection of names/logos/jerseys. The Original Six is ALL classic. The Blues and Flyers from the "next six" have also earned classic status. The Pens are ok but I like the original colors better. Some of the "newer" teams like the Oilers, Devils and Sharks also have nice looks with instant recognition.

Really, there aren't that many that I don't like, but here's a few:

* Blue Jackets. Horrible name, horrible logo (both original and current). Not much else to say.

* Stars. Boring/generic as hell, and also negative points for thieving it from Minnesota, where it made sense with North in front of it.

* Ducks. Still can't get over the origins of it, although at least "Mighty" is gone and the jerseys aren't a joke.

* Avalanche. I don't really like singular nicknames, but I let the Wild and Lightning get away with with because their jerseys don't make me want to throw up.

Other than that, they all range from tolerable to sweet, IMO.

The Coyotes are very fitting of a team in Pheonix. Thats what you have there, coyotes and road runners. Their colors reflect the desert scheme.

Sam with the Oil. Edmonton is an oil city, so Oilers is very appropriate. Colors are cool like the climate.

The Mighty Ducks was very fitting of a La la land city like Anaheim. Personally, i think they should have dropped the "Ducks" portion of the name and kept the "Mighty". There's a lot you can do with that as far as a logo. The Anaheim Mighty.

Ottawa Senators may also be representative, but hardly original. Jerseys are cool.

I don't like Washington's Jerseys, they look too CFLish.

Sorry - I must have blacked out when I was writing my original post. It was supposed to say its a good name, not 'its not a good name".

I am all for obvious names and logos, and I agree, despite the sickening trend in the NHL for all teams to have some sort of black uniform, that the Senators original black road uni when they came back in 91 was awesome. The side profile of the Senator is a gem.

First, I disagree with the Coyotes and Oilers. Both good, fitting logos. In fact, the Oilers have one of my favourite logos in the league. Same deal with the other original six teams (especially Toronto, New York, Boston) and I like the Flyers jerseys/logos as well too.

I think you are a little biased on the Pens right now - their logos aren't dumb at all.

I personally loved the North Stars logo.. Dallas' logo don't even compare.

Islanders are up there too.

I think you are a little biased on the Pens right now - their logos aren't dumb at all.

It's a penguin with a hockey stick. Lol.

Imagine if the Anaheim had a duck with a hockey stick... I'd laugh at that too.

I think the Red Wings, Blackhawks and Blues have the best logos in all of sports.

The Ducks have the worst logo in the league, because they don't have one. An F for lack of effort.

Jersey colors suck now in the NHL, because too many teams wear red and white. It's something like a dozen teams or more that wear that variation.

Finally, why oh why, can't the Hurricanes be forced to bring back the Whalers logo and colors?

God I hate the Devils logo. I hate their color scheme too. Guess where I get to see most of my NHL games now and am getting a mini season ticket plan to. Now it looks like Mr Trap Jacques Lemaire is coming back as coach.

Dandy

The Penguins are fine, I like the old Penguin from the 70's. All the Original Six are aces.

Nashville blech

Columbus blech

St. Louis, cool, very good, like the old note

Colorado is awful

I liked the black and silver Kings, the big question is what color will they be this year?

Worst Logos - Florida, Tampa Bay, Nashville

Next 3 out - New Jersey (cool idea, tad too generic), Philadelphia (I know its classic but I've just never liked it), Blue Jackets (way too much going on there)

Best Logos - Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles

Next 3 in - Boston, Montreal, Washington

Edited by ChitownWingsfan

Finally, why oh why, can't the Hurricanes be forced to bring back the Whalers logo and colors?

Those were amazing!!!

You're right, many of the colour schemes are pretty bad right now.

My faves are:

Detroit of course. (just love the design and history of it) Montreal, and Toronto.

I like the Chicago logo, but their white jersies are god awful. Their reds are badass though.

Least faves: Atlanta, Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, Florida, and Nashville.

Maybe I'm biased, but the Phoenix Coyotes have the worst logo in the league. I liked the "native american" theme that they originally had when they moved here. While not the best, it certainly is a huge improvement of the current main logo, and the rediculous new "third" logo, that looks like a cartoon dog jumping.

The Nashville Predators also get low marks for an ugly logo and an even uglier color scheme. They really should change that up.

And the final on my "worst" list is Tampa Bay Lightning...its such a DRAB and boring logo! Even just changing the font and making it a little more interesting would be great. I like the team colors, however!

All the Original Six logos are fantastic, and shouldn't change. They're classics. Beyond that I like the Flyers and Blues logos (also classics).

The current Vancouver Canucks logo is okay, but I love the green/blue "throwback" logo...which is supposed to be a "third" but seems more popular with the fans than the first.

The Kings' current logo is uninspiring, yet not bad enough to single out. The old purple and yellow crown logo is very cool, and I wish they would bring it back.

Top 3 Best Logos:

1. Detroit Red Wings

2. Chicago Blackhawks

3. Toronto Maple Leafs (1938-1967 Version)

Top 3 Worst Logos:

1. Washington Capitals

2. Buffalo Sabres

3. Anaheim Ducks (Would be better off with just the D)

Edited by aflac9262

Pens fan coming in peace.

Hey now, I like our little ice cream box skating penguin, thank you very much. I think it can be refreshing to have an unusual animal like Ducks or Penguins as a mascot. To me sometimes Tigers/Panthers/Bears and other growly snarly things gets kind of old, but that's just me. Penguins don't play hockey, but neither do most animals last I checked (except the big stupid bipedaled ones) They're associated with coldness or ice and it's an alliteration with Pittsburgh so I don't think it's that weird. No penguins in Pittsburgh? Last I checked, tigers and lions aren't native to Detroit, either. We all have them in zoos so good enough. I think Anaheim's coming from the Disney movie was pretty stupid, but I liked the Duck mascot with the University of Oregon. I think the Sharks have a great mascot and concept.

Red Wings and Blackhawks are among my favorite logos (besides, yes, our skating penguin for my own homerism and nostalgia's sake). I also like Calgary.

Worst logo on my list is Buffalo because they have changed their logo a couple of times in recent years but should have left well enough alone. It's a slug.

Edited by Free_Candy

So you like our name (Nashville Predators), but not our colors huh? Hey at least we got rid of those ugly mustard colored jerseys. I didn't like those at all, neither did the players.

I like the Preds jerseys. When I get mad at the preds (they beat us) I call them the sexual predators.