• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snazzy

Worst NHL Team Names, Logos, or Colors?

Rate this topic

How many Penguins live in Pittsburgh??

I could be mistaken, but I believe they were actually named after the arena ("The Igloo"). The alliteration didn't hurt either.

One thing that's kind of been lost to history is the nickname with the cool story behind it, like the Red Wings, Blackhawks and Rangers. Now they're basically just picked by focus groups.

Maybe I'm biased, but the Phoenix Coyotes have the worst logo in the league. I liked the "native american" theme that they originally had when they moved here. While not the best, it certainly is a huge improvement of the current main logo, and the rediculous new "third" logo, that looks like a cartoon dog jumping.

The Nashville Predators also get low marks for an ugly logo and an even uglier color scheme. They really should change that up.

And the final on my "worst" list is Tampa Bay Lightning...its such a DRAB and boring logo! Even just changing the font and making it a little more interesting would be great. I like the team colors, however!

All the Original Six logos are fantastic, and shouldn't change. They're classics. Beyond that I like the Flyers and Blues logos (also classics).

The current Vancouver Canucks logo is okay, but I love the green/blue "throwback" logo...which is supposed to be a "third" but seems more popular with the fans than the first.

The Kings' current logo is uninspiring, yet not bad enough to single out. The old purple and yellow crown logo is very cool, and I wish they would bring it back.

So you don't like the Preds saber-tooth tiger logo? What logo would you suggest? And what color jerseys should they have?

Edited by blackbarbie11

Pens_logo(5).gif

So glad they abandoned the ugly pigeon logo from the 90s.

This logo and the Penguins name just fits so well. They play in an Igloo. The city's colors are black & gold and so are all of our teams. There's a golden triangle in the background to represent the city often used as a nickname for Pittsburgh. Even the mascot is named Iceburgh.

Best thing about the Pens.. there's no red in their uniforms. What's with every team using red as their primary color these days. I saw way too many red jerseys the last 3 series with the Caps, then Canes, and finally Wings.. all we were missing was an opening series against the Devils.

So you don't like the Preds saber-tooth tiger logo? What logo would you suggest? And what color jerseys should they have?

Well on second thought, I do like the current logo MUCH more than the "third" logo, which honestly looks like something from a minor league:

NashvillePredatorsAlternate.png

And maybe replace it with something a little more along the lines of this (rumored to be the new third logo?):

NashvillePredatorsAlternateLogo2.png

As far as the current logo, it just needs tweaking. Its too detailed and needs some simplification to look more like the "classic" logos around the NHL. I think the biggest problem is the color scheme.

Maybe something like this (I didn't make it):

Nashville%20Predators%20Concept%20alex%20lehruex.png

or this, with some more tweaking:

predsblackgold.jpg

Well on second thought, I do like the current logo MUCH more than the "third" logo, which honestly looks like something from a minor league:

NashvillePredatorsAlternate.png

And maybe replace it with something a little more along the lines of this (rumored to be the new third logo?):

NashvillePredatorsAlternateLogo2.png

As far as the current logo, it just needs tweaking. Its too detailed and needs some simplification to look more like the "classic" logos around the NHL. I think the biggest problem is the color scheme.

Maybe something like this (I didn't make it)

> 20Predators%20Concept%20alex%20lehruex.png

or this, with some more tweaking:

predsblackgold.jpg

Yeah I like that. You are very creative. You should have a job with the NHL designing team jerseys. :thumbup:

Edited by blackbarbie11

So glad they abandoned the ugly pigeon logo from the 90s.

This logo and the Penguins name just fits so well. They play in an Igloo. The city's colors are black & gold and so are all of our teams. There's a golden triangle in the background to represent the city often used as a nickname for Pittsburgh. Even the mascot is named Iceburgh.

Best thing about the Pens.. there's no red in their uniforms. What's with every team using red as their primary color these days. I saw way too many red jerseys the last 3 series with the Caps, then Canes, and finally Wings.. all we were missing was an opening series against the Devils.

You could say the same thing about the Penguins using black in their jerseys.

Best thing about the Wings...there's no black in their uniforms. What's with every team using black as a color these days? I saw way too many black jerseys in the last three series with the Ducks, Blackhawks, and finally Penguins..all we were missing was an opening series against the Stars.

Don't be so biased, the Penguins don't have the worst name/logo/colors

Names: Worst Best

1) Thrashers 1) New Jersey Devils

2) Predators 2) Canucks/Bruins/Wings

3) Panthers

Honorable mention-Ducks for being named after a Disney movie, though they don't make the list because at least they aren't the mighty ducks

Logos: Worst Best

1) Predators 1) Red Wings

2) Wild 2) Calgary

3) Panthers 3) Avalanche

Colors: Worst Best

1) Buffalo 1) Red Wings

2) Predators 2) Canucks

3) Panthers 3) Bruins

Edited by Ham on Wheels

Long time, no post.

I love the Wings, obviously, as well as the rest of the Original Six. The Bruins are definitely my least favorite of the Six, though. I'll go on record as saying I like the Pens unis as well.

Most any team to join the league or move after the mid-90's has awful logos and jerseys. The Stars, Ducks, Blue Jackets, Predators, Lightning, Thrashers, Canucks, and Hurricanes all have jerseys that I hate looking it.

I will say that I love the Phoenix Coyotes' new logo and uniforms, though. Their original look was atrocious, but they actually wised up and went for a more traditional look and I think it paid off - obviously not literally.

Say what you want about Reebok, but the fact that they make every jersey for every team has brought some consistency to the looks and the way their jerseys are cut forced some teams (like the Stars) to quit having dumb s*** (like a big Star) on their sweaters. The change to Reebok also gave some teams, like the Blues and Sharks, a chance to tweak their colors and make their uniforms infinitely better than they had been.

Edited by Travis

New York Islanders - Very respectful, represent their city. I cannot disrespect the Islanders. They earned my respect. I hope to see them become the big dog in the east some day soon!

I have to step in on this. The people who sit next to me would disagree. At least the Mrs. would. They're from the Bronx and the husband is retired from the Rangers organization. The Islanders ARE NOT from the city, they're from the island, which is not the city. I made that mistake in front of her once, ONCE! This "little old lady" gave it to me! So, please, don't make the mistake of saying the Islanders are from the city!

I like the new Pens' logo, as well as the blue and white color scheme. Especially more than the pointy 90's logo.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen some concept art for logos throughout the league, but if the league picked it up (even though its blasphemy to change O6 logos), I would think it was one of the sweetest logos in the league.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/SHPr...chicagologo.png

Its so well thought out. It loses the old Indian head that apparently more people are having problems with because America has to be politically correct, now, but it still retains some features of the Indian head. That and the hawk just looks so badass.

Anyway, I have to say the Ducks' current logo is the least appealing to me. I wish they stuck with the old Mighty Ducks logo.

I like the new Pens' logo, as well as the blue and white color scheme. Especially more than the pointy 90's logo.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen some concept art for logos throughout the league, but if the league picked it up (even though its blasphemy to change O6 logos), I would think it was one of the sweetest logos in the league.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/SHPr...chicagologo.png

Its so well thought out. It loses the old Indian head that apparently more people are having problems with because America has to be politically correct, now, but it still retains some features of the Indian head. That and the hawk just looks so badass.

Anyway, I have to say the Ducks' current logo is the least appealing to me. I wish they stuck with the old Mighty Ducks logo.

That logo is nuts.

I prefer they stick with tradition, but they coudn't go wrong switching to that if they had to.

I have to say the all time worst logo in the NHL ever, would have to be the Dallas Stars 3rd, commonly known as the Mooterus.

mooterus1.gif

The Buffaslug does come in a close 2nd though.

Anaheim, the name made a significant recovery when they dropped the Mighty and completely revamped everything. Still not the greatest name in all of sports, but much more respectable than the original.

Atlanta, the name is cool, the logo needs some work, the color scheme is not bad, they just need to make up their mind what their colors are, they have had 3 different shades of blue as their primary jersey color, and the maroon third jerseys are too bland.

Boston, classic all the way around. I never understood what the spoked wheel had to do with a Bruin, and until I saw an alternate jersey with a bear on it, I didn't even know what a bruin was supposed to be. Black and gold is a strong color scheme in any sport.

Buffalo, hate their current logo, it looks like a bloody slug. At least when they changed in the 90's to the red, silver and black colors they had a pretty cool logo, I think they need to go back to it with the original color scheme, that would be great.

Calgary, cool name, color scheme fits the theme, I like the logo and the jersey appearance, except maybe the third jersey, with the horse head snorting out flames, that didn't really look right.

Carolina, as bummed as I waa to see the Whalers disappear, I have to admit they did a good job with the name and concept, though there are way too many teams using red and black, maybe if they kept the black and switched the red for the green in the old-school Whalers scheme.

Chicago, original six, can't mess with it, although the concept art for the logo redesign is wicked cool.

Columbus, name is using an obscure historical reference about the region, too hard to explain to the casual user, not a bad job with the logo though, I mean the one that looks like a bug, not the one that is just the letters fancied up. COlors are a bit unoriginal, though they make good use of them in their scheme.

Colorado, hate the team, can't knock anything about their name, logo or colors.

Dallas, the Stars is very unimaginative, especially when they had to drop the North when they bolted MN, good logo and colors for such a weak name.

Detroit, what can I say, the winged wheel is one of the most recognizable team logos in the whole world, classic red and white scheme is simple but effective. I like the black jerseys I'e seen, I wouldn't mind seeing them wear it in a game.

Edmonton, the Oilers is fitting to the region and not difficult to understand, color scheme is solid, logo a bit dull but it is a classic though.

Florida, the Panthers is cool, especially since there are few cat-themed teams in hockey (unlike the NFL), colors unoriginal but they make it work, logo is distinct and unmistakable.

Los Angeles, the Kings is unimaginative, current color scheme is a good combination of the original and the late 80's version, logo is OK.

Minnesota, I don't know about the Wild, they could have done better, I like the color scheme and the logo is impressive.

Montreal, old school works for me. I make fun of my Habs fan co-worker about what a lame nickname they have, but 100 years of history is impressive enough for me.

Nashville, the Predators is a very original team name, the sabre-cat logo is cool (the profile one, not the 3/4 one, that is too amateurish), color scheme is fine as long as they never bring back the mustard stained jerseys.

New Jersey, again the Devils is an original, logo is good, they need to go back to the Christmas colors, red and black is too common.

NY Islanders, no complaints there, although I wouldn't mind seeing the fisherman make a comeback.

NY Rangers, O6, nuff said.

Ottawa, I know they were really bringing back the old Senators, and they did a pretty good job, but some of the recent changes are not working (i.e. the forward-facing dude instead of the profile)

Philadelphia, name is cool and has a cool story, logo is a classic, color scheme is good, not too many other NHL teams using orange.

Phoenix, it fits the region, but a Coyote is not exactly something I associate with hockey. I like the recent move to a more classic appearance in the logo and the scheme, but I am probably in a minority of people who thought the psychadelic cave-painting Coyote logo was cool.

Pittsburgh, Penguins is not a very common sports team name, the logo I have to agree with some on here, it looks it belongs on a carton of ice cream instead of a hockey jersey, I like the black and gold scheme, especially since all Pittsburgh teams have it.

San Jose, the Sharks very original, logo rocks and the colors work.

St. Louis, I don't know what significance Blues has to the city or region, but it works. Logo and color scheme are solid, I hope they don't try to tweak it any more than they did for the 3rd jersey.

Tampa Bay, the Lightning is cool, again not used very often in sports, logo needs work, colors are good, black blue and silver are very distinctive.

Toronto, O6, but I think the Maple Leaf is kind of a lame mascot, (I'm sure to incur the wrath of Canadians everywhere, eh.)

Vancouver, name is just OK, I like the Orca theme, not sure about the new/old color scheme, I think they should go back to the black, maroon and purple they had.

Washington, name fits, logo is cool, but there are already enough red teams in the league, they should have stayed with the late 90's color scheme.

The Capitals need to bring back the white skates.

The Flyers need to bring back the cooperalls.

Hurricanes should be forced to wear the Whalers logo and colors.

Stars should go back to the colorful Golden Seals Logo. (No I don't care if it's a rip off of the Oakland A's).

Penguins need to bring back the early 90's uniforms. More yellow, less beige.

Divelanche should be forced to wear the Nordiques colors and logo.

Vancouver should bring back the early 90's colors, and as far as the logo goes, that franchise is cursed. They'll never think of a good logo.

I could be mistaken, but I believe they were actually named after the arena ("The Igloo"). The alliteration didn't hurt either.

One thing that's kind of been lost to history is the nickname with the cool story behind it, like the Red Wings, Blackhawks and Rangers. Now they're basically just picked by focus groups.

Penguins don't live in igloos, Eskimos do.

I like the craps white jersey and the habs alternate white jersey.

The Ottawa 67's of the OHL have a nice shirt. http://images.google.com/images?q=ottawa%2067%27s%20jersey

The Calgary Hitman and Moose Jaw Warriors have cool logo's and uni's.

I can't stand the gold used in some teams jerseys (Pittsburghs) and when Nashville had those baby poo gold uni's ackkkkkkkkkkkk our local minor league team is using that color now too and I can't stand it

I love that the RedWings don't cowtow to the league and they continue go with the classic colors and logo

QUOTE (Echolalia @ June 17, 2009 - 02:26PM) *

I don't know if anyone has ever seen some concept art for logos throughout the league, but if the league picked it up (even though its blasphemy to change O6 logos),

I would think it was one of the sweetest logos in the league.

Chicago logo art

that is cool

Edited by MsRedWingFan

The original six have the best jerseys in the league. Chicago and Detroit especially. The Wild, Jackets, Preds, Coyotes and Thrashers have some of the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen. The Wild...so foul. Stupid name, ugly jerseys.