• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Homer's struggles, Conklin wants to stay

Rate this topic

A few notes from Monday's Red Wings media availability following the team photo and locker room cleanout:

• Tomas Holmstrom revealed that his left knee was bothering him throughout the playoffs, requiring pain-killing shots. He said a variety of injuries (hernia, back, knee) took their toll on this season. No surgery needed this summer, just rest, he said.

"It's been a mess ... there was always something going on,'' Holmstrom said. "For sure it was really frustrating. You try to do your best. What can you do?''

Holmstrom failed to score a goal in the last 19 playoff games.

• Marian Hossa said he still hopes to get a long-term contract with the Wings.

"Detroit is at the top of my list for sure,'' Hossa said. "We'll see what's going to happen with today's economy, with the salary cap and everything. You never know what can happen.''

• Backup goaltender Ty Conklin indicated a strong desire to re-sign with the Wings.

"I enjoyed it here,'' Conklin said. "I was able to play a decent amount. I enjoyed the locker room. It's a hard locker room not to like, lot of good people here.''

If the Wings re-sign Conklin to be Chris Osgood's backup again next season, they would need to trade Jimmy Howard, who is out of minor-league options.

• Restricted free agent forward Ville Leino said he expects to get a deal done with the Wings but said he is done playing in Grand Rapids and would want to be assured he will have a roster spot with the team.

"I don't want to play in the AHL anymore, and I won't do that anymore,'' Leino said.

Coach Mike Babcock said that isn't an issue, that Leino will be with the team.

• Babcock indicated that forward Justin Abdelkader likely will spend another season in Grand Rapids.

• Defenseman Brian Rafalski revealed that in addition to the herniated disc he suffered between the first and second rounds, he also separated his shoulder in the Chicago series.

MLive

All good except for Leino's attitude. There's no argument whether he's a good player or not, but I hope his disappearing act in the games he played in the playoffs didn't go unnoticed. Now Bab's is just supposed to give him a roster spot over Abdelkader. Okay Ville, I just hope you can back it up.

All good except for Leino's attitude. There's no argument whether he's a good player or not, but I hope his disappearing act in the games he played in the playoffs didn't go unnoticed. Now Bab's is just supposed to give him a roster spot over Abdelkader. Okay Ville, I just hope you can back it up.

Were you expecting Leino to go out and get a hat trick every game? He was the 14th or 15th forward on the team and played with the 4th line. He was responsible defensively and for the playoffs, that's all I want out of a 4th liner.

He's a good player and he deserves to be on the Wings next year. He came over to play at the highest level of hockey, and I think he was a good sport by spending most of last year in the AHL to develop to the NA game.

I thought Leino's words were a bit harsh. Id rather have Abdelkader in the line-up than Leino. We need more of whats Abs brings than what Leino does.

I'm kinda glad to here that about Rafalski. He was good all season but during the penguins series i was kind of wondering if he couldn't keep up with the fast aggressive play of the playoffs anymore. He was absolutely horrible the penguins series turned the puck over countless times.

resign conklin!!!! let hossa go thats what 7 mil to throw around?

Abdelkader over Leino any day of the week

4th line next year - Neil - Darth Kader - Laperriere no one will get out alive!!!

Edited by CAredwingsfan91

I don't think Leino disappeared. He's not an energy providing grinder like Helm and Abdelkader. He's an offensive player who played in his first NHL playoffs and got ice time only on 4th line. Still he provided some offense. During regular season he saw more ice time in Datsyuk's line and it paid off. I hope he'll get the contract so we'll see if he gets better.

I thought Leino's words were a bit harsh. Id rather have Abdelkader in the line-up than Leino. We need more of whats Abs brings than what Leino does.

I can't really blame Leino. He's ready, Abdelkader is not. Leino can play 3rd or 2nd line and contribute as he proved during the season. He is who he is going to be as a hockey player. I'm seeing Leins bringing what Hudler had, and Helm already bringin what Abs would bring, but better. Abs needs one more season of GR minutes instead of 4th line NHL minutes or it will retard his growth.

The Ab Buster will get his shot next year and he will be ready.

Were you expecting Leino to go out and get a hat trick every game? He was the 14th or 15th forward on the team and played with the 4th line. He was responsible defensively and for the playoffs, that's all I want out of a 4th liner.

He's a good player and he deserves to be on the Wings next year. He came over to play at the highest level of hockey, and I think he was a good sport by spending most of last year in the AHL to develop to the NA game.

Abs played fourth line minutes as well and he wiped the floor with Leino. I suppose Babs should dedicate a locker to Leino this summer without him even having to go to training camp. I'm glad you have the same entitledment attitude that Ville has, it will not only get you far with your teammates but life in general. :thumbup:

So you're saying the only purpose of the 4th line is not to get scored on? :blink:

At the base level, yes. In the regular season, it's good to also mix in someone that can drop the mitts occasionally, but in the playoffs, the games are so tight that I want my team's 4th line to be defensively responsible. It's also good to get some energy out of them, but the most important thing is to not get scored on. If they do chip in goals (like Abdelkader did) then it's only a bonus.

I agree on the attitude bit, but in the playoffs, Leino was playing primarily on a defense-first line with the likes of Kirk Maltby. You don't put up points very often when you're getting very limited ice-time on a line with Maltby. We saw what Leino can do on a scoring line in the regular season.

It's amazing how this team battled through all these ******* injuries. I am so proud of this team. If we're healthy for next playoffs, the cup comes back home where it belongs.

I agree on the attitude bit, but in the playoffs, Leino was playing primarily on a defense-first line with the likes of Kirk Maltby. You don't put up points very often when you're getting very limited ice-time on a line with Maltby. We saw what Leino can do on a scoring line in the regular season.

I agree that he would produce on a scoring line, there's no argument there. I just feel if he's making public statements like that it could cause a cancerous locker room environment. He should have the attitude that he has to work for his spot just like everyone else on the team does.

Abs played fourth line minutes as well and he wiped the floor with Leino. I suppose Babs should dedicate a locker to Leino this summer without him even having to go to training camp. I'm glad you have the same entitledment attitude that Ville has, it will not only get you far with your teammates but life in general. :thumbup:

It's not about entitlement, it's about being ready. Leino is ready. Just like Helm is ready. Ericsson is ready. Abdelkader is *probably* ready, but he could benefit ala Helm from another year in GR and becoming overripe, and being the first call up.

Realize that Leino and Abdelkader are different players with different strengths. Leino, with his skill set, is better as a 2nd or 3rd liner than a 4th liner now... but there was not room on the 2nd/3rd lines for Leino. there will be next season because some players are leaving. Abdelkader, right now, is custom built for the 4th line. BUT if you give him prime minutes in GR, he could develop faster into a better player for the Wings in the future.

And f*** off about the entitlement thing in terms to me. You don't know me. I've worked for what I have. I know I'm not entitled to anything and will be working even harder after I most probably get laid off next week and reboot my life.

I agree that he would produce on a scoring line, there's no argument there. I just feel if he's making public statements like that it could cause a cancerous locker room environment. He should have the attitude that he has to work for his spot just like everyone else on the team does.

According to Babcock and the like, he has worked for (and earned) his spot.

he has, he played in the ahl all last year. when we got his rights he told the wings he was not coming to North America to play in the AHL, that he would rather stay put until they thought he was ready, the wings understood this and both parties agreed he was to play 1 year to adjust to the game. well its been a year and he's just restating what the original plan has always been. theres no elitist attitude w/ leino, he came here to contribute for the wings and play at the highest level. He's paid his dues and its go time

Leino will play for the wings next year as he will receive a small base salary and we have plenty of roster spots to fill at the moment.

He's played like 10 NHL games in the regular season. Give him a break, s***.

It's not about entitlement, it's about being ready. Leino is ready. Just like Helm is ready. Ericsson is ready. Abdelkader is *probably* ready, but he could benefit ala Helm from another year in GR and becoming overripe, and being the first call up.

Realize that Leino and Abdelkader are different players with different strengths. Leino, with his skill set, is better as a 2nd or 3rd liner than a 4th liner now... but there was not room on the 2nd/3rd lines for Leino. there will be next season because some players are leaving. Abdelkader, right now, is custom built for the 4th line. BUT if you give him prime minutes in GR, he could develop faster into a better player for the Wings in the future.

Exactly, additionally Leino will be 26 next year whereas Abdelkader will be 22 (I think). If Leino wants to play in the NHL he needs to get it done quickly.

Leino will produce when he is on a line that can play the upper level type game, he's not a banger and grinder.

that whole Conklin backup to 3 different teams that went to finals and lost bugs me.. i dont want him back, sorry. we cant afford to lose Howard (no more minors options) over him.

So the fact that Howard has 1 win in 9 tries and a GAA over 3 in the NHL is some great talent to worry about losing? He's had 4 seasons in GR- time to crap or get off the can, as they say.