• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crazy13

Detroit to offer Hossa long term deal

Rate this topic

"I'll talk to his agent," general manager Ken Holland said Saturday. "We'd promised to talk to them and we'll sit down and see if there's something that makes sense. If it doesn't make sense for him, doesn't make sense for us, then maybe it doesn't work out."

Basically, it will be Hossa's choice. He has said he doesn't want to keep moving around the NHL, that he wants to settle down with a long-term contract. That works to the Wings' advantage, because they can figure out a way to offer him as much as 10 years provided the salary cap hit is right around $4 million a season, similar to Johan Franzen's deal. Hossa, 30, made $7.45 million this past season, and if he wants similar money, he won't be staying in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090614/SPOR...0554/0/SPORTS05

Eh. The 4 million is a nice bargain price, but I dont even want Hoss here, use the money elsewhere. What happens if you give him a long term deal and he s***s the bed in the playoffs again next year? Where do you go from there?

it would be fine if they DONT include a NTC..... then you have options if he continues to lead the team in scoring

it would be fine if they DONT include a NTC..... then you have options if he continues to lead the team in scoring

lower the cap hit, the greater the chance of ntc.

that would be amazing if he was willing to take anything with a 4 million dollar cap hit. Hossa just had a tough playoff points wise, everyone that loves Dats now forgot how everyone was up in arms about giving him his contract when he "couldn't produce in the playoffs."

I can think of 29 other teams that would love to have him for a 4 million cap hit

NTC isn't that big of a deal. Few players won't waive it when asked anyway. Just think about it, the team comes to you and basically says that nobody likes you here and we don't need nor want you here so you can either wave your no trade clause or we will waive you. Most people have pride i think.

This whole thing basically sounds to me like this: Holland promised to sit down and talk, so he will keep his promise, but he will low ball Hossa and make an offer he has to refuse.

Edited by kozac

Actually, it's Hossa who doesn't want Pittsburgh. Remember?

ha! :thumbup:

I would love to see Hoss back. He's the reason we did as well as we did in the regular season, when the Wings couldn't find a goal. He carried the team offensively in the first part of the season.

Just because Hoss was snakebit in the playoffs is no reason to let him go, if he wants to be here. True statement that people once called Datsyuk a choker and invisible in the playoffs. I said a couple of things about Hoss myself in the playoffs, when it became clear he was not going to contribute a goal, but he did contribute in other ways. It was a tough ride for him, that's for sure. I am certain he didn't enjoy it anymore than we enjoyed watching it.

The cap hit I like.

The length scares me a bit.

Length isn't a problem for me. If Hossa signs, he will have signed before he was 35 and that salary will come off of the books when he retires.

at least we will be guaranteed a few strong regular seasons out of him.

and i know to only expect him to put on the sweater in the playoffs... i am cool with that now that i know he is nothing more than a regular Monster

Edited by OsGOD

4 is amazing and can work with the cap numbers if Homer retires or leaves. I like Holmstrom but he would be the easiest to let go.

Homer is not going anywhere. I'll bet my family on that.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

When he was young, injured, in the clutch and grab era, and surrounded by a bunch of lazy floaters. Yes.

Seems like that era is returning if these playoffs were any indication.

NTC isn't that big of a deal. Few players won't waive it when asked anyway. Just think about it, the team comes to you and basically says that nobody likes you here and we don't need nor want you here so you can either wave your no trade clause or we will waive you. Most people have pride i think.

This whole thing basically sounds to me like this: Holland promised to sit down and talk, so he will keep his promise, but he will low ball Hossa and make an offer he has to refuse.

I'm sure when people are asked to waive their NTCs that the GM doesn't say"listen up dickface, no one wants your candy ass around here any more. pack your s*** because you're lazy and you suck and if you don't waive your NTC then we'll waive your ass anyway". It's probably a little more diplomatic.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Hossa at $5 million cap hit is a bargain to be jumped on at the cost of guys like Sammy, Hudler, etc. I don't care what happened this year. Hossa's an elite player who will serve this team extremely well as time goes on. I have no doubt that if he's with us next year, he'll have a huge playoffs.

No doubt whatsoever.

I also was one of the few saying wait for Datsyuk when everyone wanted him gone.

I also was one of the one's who said Osgood will be fine in the playoffs.

I don't ride hype trains.

I very much hope we find a way to keep Hossa. He's an outstanding player. This was a tough go-around for him no doubt, but again, I have NO DOUBTS AT ALL that he can be huge for us next spring.

I'm sure when people are asked to waive their NTCs that the GM doesn't say"listen up dickface, no one wants your candy ass around here any more. pack your s*** because you're lazy and you suck and if you don't waive your NTC then we'll waive your ass anyway". It's probably a little more diplomatic.

lol, no, that's pretty much it, :lol: