• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crazy13

Detroit to offer Hossa long term deal

Rate this topic

Whilst Hossa at $4M sounds fantastic, lets just think about this.

In order to achieve this, we are going to have to sign him to a long term deal, a la Zetterberg and Franzen, with a tiny salary the last couple of years to bring the average down.

That would mean in 10 years time we're going to have 3 players in their late 30s/early 40s eating up $20M in salary. Players who are all going to be well into the suckage years of their careers. Pre-cap we could afford to carry $4M 39 year olds, but not with the cap. All 3 players are going to be slowed down by age and injuries, and will be hated by 50-75% of LGW for it (cf Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom, Chelios).

For that reason alone, they should let him walk and use what little cap space we have to sign some 3rd-4th line players who can help our team come playoff time.

Wait, I have a question. Then, after Z and Mule turn up to somewhat around 37 years old, do they eat up 6.1 and 3.9 million cap space each?

Wait, I have a question. Then, after Z and Mule turn up to somewhat around 37 years old, do they eat up 6.1 and 3.9 million cap space each?

Unless they retire, get bought out or traded after their clauses expire the cap hit will remain intact...

Unless they retire, get bought out or traded after their clauses expire the cap hit will remain intact...

If they start sucking too bad there's always some crappy team willing to overpay for a marquee player.

"I'll talk to his agent," general manager Ken Holland said Saturday. "We'd promised to talk to them and we'll sit down and see if there's something that makes sense. If it doesn't make sense for him, doesn't make sense for us, then maybe it doesn't work out."

Basically, it will be Hossa's choice. He has said he doesn't want to keep moving around the NHL, that he wants to settle down with a long-term contract. That works to the Wings' advantage, because they can figure out a way to offer him as much as 10 years provided the salary cap hit is right around $4 million a season, similar to Johan Franzen's deal. Hossa, 30, made $7.45 million this past season, and if he wants similar money, he won't be staying in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090614/SPOR...0554/0/SPORTS05

Don't sign Hossa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

Yes, if you are still referring to their current contract. The same caphit applies each year that a given contract is active, so 6.1 the first year of the contract all the way to the last year of the contract which will also be a 6.1 caphit, regardless of whether that player is actually getting paid 1M for that year. I imagine Holland will be retiring shortly before then.

Show me what you can do without Hossa on the roster and get back to me. Sammy is garbage and so is Huds come playoff time.

Datsyuk was "garbage" once come playoff time, too.

Losing two years in a row in the Finals and people telling him that he made the "wrong decision" will be very motivating for him in the next few years, so if we can get him for $4 mil cap hit per year, we'd be insane not to. Since its front loaded, just buy out the remainder of his years when he's too old.

Yes, he had a bad post season statistically, but that doesn't make him a bad player. He was a huge factor in helping us get the 2nd seed and his presence gives us the best second line in hockey. That said, if he wants more than that, we have to let him walk.

I hope you guys re-sign Hossa again. He's such a playoff choker. WE found that out last year, lol. Only Crosby could make him look good, but in the end he choked here too. Crosby can only carry losers like Hossa so far.

He was one of your leading scorers in the playoffs last year, goals and assists. You can't rewrite history.

Why are you assuming Lilja isn't coming back? He played well enough and cheaply enough to be a far better alternative to Lebda on the third pairing.

We NEED Lilja. He is our #1 shot blocker. The area where we struggled in the playoffs was the PK. Having Lilja to lay down in front of some of those shots might have made the difference.

Big E was great but on the PK, I'd rather have Lilja.

I hope you guys re-sign Hossa again. He's such a playoff choker. WE found that out last year, lol. Only Crosby could make him look good, but in the end he choked here too. Crosby can only carry losers like Hossa so far.

Why the frick are you still here? It's been 5 days. Shouldn't you be on the Pens boards celebrating instead of over here talking s***.

Go away.

What the hell are you talking about? He had one point less than Crosby in the postseason last year. How is that choking? And just as a side note, between this years' Finals and last, Mr. Playoff Choker is outscoring Crosby and has a better +/-. It seems Crosby can't produce against the Wings without playing alongside Hossa. I suppose the same could be said about Hossa, but then again, the Wings aren't planning on paying him 8.7M/year and making him captain.

You found that out last year?? Sounds like you just started watching the Pens after 2008. In the 2008 SCF Hossa was involved in every goal except 3 and he had more points than Crosby in the finals...what a choker :rolleyes:

Edited by purebooyah

Aw but in 10 years the cap will be much higher. Due to the laws of compounding interest, if the cap were to go up at the rate of inflation. Lets say that cap goes up a modest 4% each year. In 10 years then the cap is 82 mil.

To high, how bout 2% then 68 mil.

Before you jump up and down about the cap going down, you have to look at it long term. 10 years is a pretty good indicator for averages. If you factor in recessions and inflation the average rate for the US in the last 96 years is 3.41% which includes recession.

So an 80+ mil cap 10 years from now is very reasonable.

I mean LOL. Flip is as WING as one can be. He's not going anywhere. There's no point signing Hoss if we don't have Flip. Those two need to be together.

Yeah, I was just saying that I don't see how they get a deal done w/ Hossa w/o a contract like Flip's coming off the books.

NO way do they trade Kronwall.

What the hell are you talking about? He had one point less than Crosby in the postseason last year. How is that choking? And just as a side note, between this years' Finals and last, Mr. Playoff Choker is outscoring Crosby and has a better +/-. It seems Crosby can't produce against the Wings without playing alongside Hossa. I suppose the same could be said about Hossa, but then again, the Wings aren't planning on paying him 8.7M/year and making him captain.

Crosby made Hossa look better than he actual is. Fact.

K I GOT IT ..!!! TRADE STUART , CLEARY, RAFALSKI AND MAKE MALTBY HOLMSTROM DRAPER RETIRE!! THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM .. AND IF THAT DOESNT WORK TRADE FILIPULA!! god damn someone delete this thread and any other thread that includes the following ^ ... see ya July 1st

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ

i guess nobodies memory lasts all the way back to round 2, game 4 against anaheim, down 2-1 in the series in a must win game and he breaks the tied game open with 2 goals...

if it wasnt for him we might not have even made it past the 2nd round

We NEED Lilja. He is our #1 shot blocker. The area where we struggled in the playoffs was the PK. Having Lilja to lay down in front of some of those shots might have made the difference.

Big E was great but on the PK, I'd rather have Lilja.

Lilja-Ericsson would be a great pairing.

I mean LOL. Flip is as WING as one can be. He's not going anywhere. There's no point signing Hoss if we don't have Flip. Those two need to be together.

I remember babcock saying to an interviewer one day that its not really about 3 man lines, more about 2 man combinations.

Heres my view.... Z and mule are combination 1. And Hossa and filppula are combination 2. Datsyuk, bar none the most complete player in the league rotates in where ever needed depending on line match-ups/injuries. (That said im taking nothing away from Z or Hossas two way game.)

Back to my point...In my opinion filppula is just as vital to hossa as hossa is to filppula. Filppula is a natural pass first guy, and a great passer, hossa is a natural shoot first guy, and probably the best goal scorer on the team. If hossa does Re-sign, you need to have these 2 guys together at all times during the year. I can't see filppula being traded in order to keep hossa. Its just not going to happen.

Edited by tommingthepuck96

I'm going to say this again...the Red Wings are not getting rid of Valterri Filppula. Do you guys even pay attention when he's on the ice? He's got great hands, can dangle dangle, excellent passer, and can hit when he wants. He reminds me of Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they first started on the Wings, does he not? Filppula's one of the best skaters on the team too, reminds me a lot of Fedorov. Once he gets his shot down he'll be unstoppable. All European players are taught to pass to the open man before shooting. What did Datsyuk do when he first came to the team? Pass, pass, pass, until Brett Hull told him to shoot more. There's no doubt in my mind that Zetterberg is telling Filppula the same thing.