• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HudlerFanatic

Why let Hudler go?

Rate this topic

Ok Red Wings Fans

I have read many posts on why people think Hudler should take a walk......but not any real good reasoning for it....

~~~Trying to be unbaised about my love for Huds~~~~~

I would just like to know hard facts and serious opinions of WHY it would be good for the Wings to let this Center go? He is only 25 years old & yes I agree with my man that he could probably make more money elsewhere...but believe that he is a type that would stay with the Wings regardless of that point

I'm not looking for......"he didn't show up"- "not scoring in the last two rounds"-"b/c he sucks" type of comments.........so if that's all you have to offer, please don't bother.

I would appreciate comments from people that know what they are actually talking about, professional hockey knowledge people...not kids living at home w/ moms and pops....please...I would just like to really understand the reasoning.......

I saw a post of someone where they put Leino on the first line....really? Why?

Jiri Hudler 25 yrs old Position-C

Wings Team Standings

Regular Season:

23 goals

34 assists

(above Cleary, Kronner, Fils, and Sammy)

#6 in PP goals

Playoffs:

#8 (proving consistancy)

4 goals

8 assists

only 1 pt difference from Fils

(above Helm & Dats)

& out of only 23 PP goals, 2 were his

and apparently the nhl.com league standings are being updated b/c they keep changing on me while Im looking at them..

as of last look....

#12 C in the playoffs

#32 C regular season

(subject to change)

Simple reason is Hossa > Hudler. If you can get Hossa for the right money you have to let Hudler go. There is just no debating it. Hudler will never be close to the player that Hossa is. Also, Hudler is a solid enough player where many teams will offer him a nice offer sheet and it will allow the Wings to gain some draft picks.

Simple reason is Hossa > Hudler. If you can get Hossa for the right money you have to let Hudler go. There is just no debating it. Hudler will never be close to the player that Hossa is. Also, Hudler is a solid enough player where many teams will offer him a nice offer sheet and it will allow the Wings to gain some draft picks.

See...this is where I gert confused....I understand the whole Hossa $$$$ Hudler thing......BUT I don't understand "get rid of a good center and get one that isn't as good w/ less pay) so the Wings can give more money to a winger.......a completely different position........

not to mention that Hudler stays OUT of the penalty box for the most part....thus not causing PP against the Wings

See...this is where I gert confused....I understand the whole Hossa $$$$ Hudler thing......BUT I don't understand "get rid of a good center and get one that isn't as good w/ less pay) so the Wings can give more money to a winger.......a completely different position........

not to mention that Hudler stays OUT of the penalty box for the most part....thus not causing PP against the Wings

The Wings with Hossa are pretty strong down the middle without Hudler. Z or Dats can be used as a center and Flip has been a man possessed these last two playoff runs. Also, Helm will be with the team full time next season and he is better defensively than Hudler and he is a strong checking center, something Hudler is not. Also, Draps has the faceoff ability, Hudler does not. If by some magic Hudler was able to stay as well as Hossa, then Hudler would be relegated to the wing on the 3rd or 4th line. Most of the time, Hudler plays on the wings because of the Wings' depth at center. Hudler saw very little time at center.

I don't think that the Wings are going to "get rid of a good center and get one that isn't as godd w/ less pay." In many ways Helm is better than Hudler and equal to him in other categories. Hudler is a nice role player for this team but is not essential to winning. Also, 4th line center isn't really anything big, after all, it is the 4th line.

Edited by Hockeytown12

Hudler isn't really used on Center for the Wings, we already lots of depth and skill down the middle.

Leino is the same age, is similar in style (probably less of a playmaker and more of a scorer though) and has about as much or even more potential.

Hudler is getting a pay-rise next year, either from us or from another team. Leino is cheap.

Hossa is the kind of player that you try to find a way to keep.

Bottom line is that Hudler is expendable. I think he's great and would love to keep him, but I think it might be best for both him and this team to let him go. We could find better uses for his salary, and he could probably find a team that is willing to give him more than 3rd line minutes and limited PP-time.

We're stacked at center. It's not that we WANT to get rid of Hudler, but when you have 4 or 5 excellent centers already and you're up against the cap wall, that's a position you downsize in. Hudler will be great, but we already have similar players like him on a team. A good, winning team has a proper balance of different styles of players.

Hudler isn't really used on Center for the Wings, we already lots of depth and skill down the middle.

Leino is the same age, is similar in style (probably less of a playmaker and more of a scorer though) and has about as much or even more potential.

Hudler is getting a pay-rise next year, either from us or from another team. Leino is cheap.

Hossa is the kind of player that you try to find a way to keep.

Bottom line is that Hudler is expendable. I think he's great and would love to keep him, but I think it might be best for both him and this team to let him go. We could find better uses for his salary, and he could probably find a team that is willing to give him more than 3rd line minutes and limited PP-time.

Leino will be getting a pay raise as well. I am not as willing to let Hudler go knowing what he brings to the table in order to bring in a player with similar physical attributes and style of play that we don't know what he will do in a full season. Keep Happy, we know what he brings!

He will bring more to the Wings in his leave than any other member of the team.

Who knows? That why I think we should keep Hudler. Similar style, similar size, similar pay. Go with what you know.

Who knows? That why I think we should keep Hudler. Similar style, similar size, similar pay. Go with what you know.

Leino is going to make less then Hudler to start, and we need to shed all the salary we can. Also Hudler will fetch a good draft pick, which is about the only thing any of our FA's can get. So it's pretty much Leino + a first, or Hudler.

I like Jiri, he plays with alot of heart. That said his size seemed to be a liability during the playoff's at times. I still say you try to keep him because we do need players to get us to the playoffs as well but if the cap dictates he must go then I would wish him well.

hudler also plays the wing because he's too slow to play as the centre. he's also not at a red wings level defensively to be a centre. z, dats, helm, draper, flip....all good 2 way players. franzen was a centre, but not on the wings anymore, but if you noticed, he's really good at faceoffs. huds ain't that special with faceoffs. even next year when leino is on the team he will be on the wing. abdelkader wasn't playing after game 2 or 3 in the SCF because he's not comfortable on the wing. but he would be at centre before huds because he's faster, plays better defense and hits.

and as for an offer sheet from the pens, they will have enough problems soon re-signing their depts, especially with scuderi at .7mil and a ufa this summer. hope the pens gm has a fun offseason. with all the guys he has signed right now and the probably lowering of the cap, he's got alot of ufa's to deal with.

http://www.penguinpoop.com/2009/pittsburgh...ry-cap-numbers/

kind of a lame chart that doesn't show the "cap hit" but gives you an idea. so no worries about huds goin there.

Here's why you let Hudler go....

He's too small and cannot take a hit.

As I said, he can't take a hit and coughs the puck up if he is hit.

He's not that good defensively.

Hudler's a decent player, no doubt, soft hands, and can score once and awhile, but I don't think there's a way to resign him.

Edited by Winged_Wheeler

He's not what we need on the 3rd and 4th lines, thats the problem. He's a top 6 forward, and Mike wont use him as such, his powerplay production is great, but he was getting shut down on the powerplay left and right from Game 6 of Anaheim on. Fil and Dano can play the powerplay, I mean, there's just no need to keep Huds if it means getting a nice draft pick.

Hudler is a good player and it'd be nice to keep him, but the Wings are in a major salary crunch. The best thing though is that Hudler is a RFA, so the Wings can either get draft pick compensation if he signs with another team, or they can trade his RFA rights to another team. It'd be nice for once to have some draft picks coming back the Wings way, so hopefully they can mine a few more gems and keep the system running.

It's sad but at least the Wings will get something when he leaves.

I'd prefer not to let Hudler go, I still remember his goal in Game 4 of the 08 Finals last year. Scoring in the Third period to give the Wings the 3-1 Series lead. If Hudler doesn't score that goal who knows what would have happened last season. However, Hossa or Hudler even though I like Huds and he has a Cup and has been a well developed player for the Wings I'd have to still take Hossa. Hudler is a great player there's no denying that but unfortuately someone has to go and that someone may be Huds. Who knows maybe Huds and Hossa will be gone this off-season and the Wings will get a bigger name Free Agent. With the Cap the way it is and the Wings having a surplus of quality players a couple to a few of those players are going to have to go. Just depends on what direction the Wings want to take.

I don't think anyone really thinks Hudler is a bad player or is not valuable to the team. The real issue is that we are under a salary cap crunch, and of the free agents that we have, Hudler is the only one that we would receive any compensation for if he were to sign elsewhere. If Hossa signs with another team, we get nothing out of it. If Hudler gets an offer sheet from another team, we have the opportunity to match the offer, of if we decline we get compensated with draft pick(s) from the team that he does sign with. That is why there are so many who say that Hudler is the player that the Wings can afford to lose. It is not a knock against his play nor what he brings to the team, it is a business decision.

That being said, I feel that Hudler is too skilled a player to be stuck on the 3rd or 4th line, and if Hossa stays, that is what will happen. He is too small and not defensively sound enough to play center in the Wings system, and we have too many wingers who are ahead of him in the depth chart. Granted he does play on the PP, but Cleary or Filppula could easily fill that role in his absence. He is not very physical, he doesn't defend well, he does not have enough speed to make up for his lack of size (like Helm), these are important considerations in the eyes of the Red Wings coaches and front office.

I do not want to see Hudler moved, but at least we would get a draft pick out of the deal if he does, and the way our draft picks have been panning out, we stand a better than average chance of picking up a decent player from it. I am confident that Holland will do what is best for the team. If that means getting Hossa to sign a deal that we can afford, then so be it. If it means letting Hossa walk, then definitely keep Hudler over our other FA's (Samuelsson and Kopecky have to go IMO).

Ok Red Wings Fans

I have read many posts on why people think Hudler should take a walk......but not any real good reasoning for it....

1) We cannot keep everyone

2) We will get something in return if he signs elsewhere

3) If someone is prepared to pay him upwards of $2.6M p/y we get a 1st and a 3rd

4) Let me repeat that, a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick for Jiri Hudler.

If you're Ken Holland, you say "thanks for all you've done, and thanks for the great draft picks"

Holland has said it himself regarding managing the cap "Pay to keep your core players, don't overpay for the rest and be prepared to let good players walk"

Sorry, my post was a bit ambiguous. I was referring to his status as a RFA, and if he leaves, the Wings will get at least a draft pick in return.

No one has anything against Hudler. He and Conklin were the boost for the Wings in the first half of the season. The reason why people want Hossa over Hudler is because Hossa is a world class offense while Hudler is just a young player. Besides, while Hudler is replaceable by Leino or other rookies, you cannot replace Hossa. Are you going to bring up a player like Cammalleri?

Most importantly, I think his size and toughness will catch him finally in the future. It is extremely emotional when the good players leave the team. I am saying both Hossa and Hudler are good players but we cannot re-sign all players according to the cap number. It looks people not want Hossa because we did not win the cup and he did not perform good enough.

For sure, Hossa underperformed but that does not necessarily mean his prime has come to an end. To end, I love Hudler stick up in Detroit but if we can get Hossa around 5 million, I would take him.

1) the wings have been using hudler as a lw just about the whole season. he took maybe 2 shifts as a center.

2) if he receives a contract offer that averages over i believe 2.6ish million we receive very nice compensation.

Considering the Wings never get good draft picks, this would be a good deal in the cap era. I like Huds too, but he is unfortunately expendable. And if he gets a good offer somewhere else, good for him, he deserves to make a bit more money. The Wings are just too deep and too close to the cap to pay Huds what he can fetch elsewhere. Glad he got a Cup with us - dude was hilarious last year. Good luck to him.