• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Is Johan Franzen actually King Leonidas?

Rate this topic

First of all, I'm super cereal here.

I was just thinking, when Franzen destroyed Crosby and sent him off the ice in game seven was similar to another defiant act in history.

The struggle between the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins was epic, spanning two entire hockey seasons. Initially, the more disciplined, professional and ultimately more team oriented Red Wings were victorious over a young, impetuous Penguins.

red-wings-cup-celebrate-425.jpgpersian-dead.jpg

Happy dudes standing in front of a wall of people with dead eyes.

henrik-zetterberg-stanley-cup.jpg

Sweet.

They did so in the Igloo, where they were vastly outnumbered but undaunted (we're trying to stay with a theme here).

However, after suffering the sting of defeat the Penguins fought back against a wounded, reeling Wings in their epic rematch.

226-Stanley_Cup_Red_Wings_Penguins_Hockey3.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG300-battle.jpg

The use of sharp stuff definitely had the potential for causing bodily harm.

windowslivewriter300-c3a7300-823.jpgnhl_g_hossa1_sw_sq_300.jpg

Also, Hossa is this guy.

Ultimately, the Penguins fought harder and pushed their numerical advantage to ultimately push the Wings to the edge of defeat in an epic rematch.

penguins.jpg300thespartanwarriors.jpg

For 20 seconds the ice was flooded with the enemy*

Defiant, Franzen struck out at their leader in a moment of epic hittiness.

crosby_hurt_getty_260.jpgxerxes.jpg

Being super classy, all the Wings fans were pumped that Crosby was hurt/constipated (Maltby probably still thought Crosby was faking it).

Crosby won the battle, but he certainly felt the sting of mortality (or, judging by the picture, possibly constipation)

Ultimately, however, the Penguins were victorious and the Wings defeated.

101.jpgJohanFranzen2008Oct25BrentSopelHitAPyahooPhoto.jpg

Franzen's down, but Lidstrom was the guy who took a Sharp arrow in the balls.

So what'cha think, is Franzen actually King Leonidas?

franzen.jpgLeonidas.jpg

Men with impressive beards.

Hopefully my comparison doesn't hurt the Wings' chances at finally getting a shot at the Pens next year for a good old Best of Three.

*For the purposes of this comparison, this 20 seconds was a decisive moment ;)

Pretty accurate except that Lilja looks more like Leonidas.

AndreasLeonidas.jpg

Funny thing is last week I watched 300 and was thinking basically the same thing.

Edited by wingnut40

You've got to much time on your hands! You're funny thou!

I do... Once I'm home from work/the gym, and all the snakes are fed and cages are cleaned all I have to do is dick around. My girlfriend is home in Mexico for the summer so I've really got no distractions :P

Pretty accurate except that Lilja looks more like Leonidas.

AndreasLeonidas.jpg

Funny thing is last week I watched 300 and was thinking basically the same thing.

True, but Lilja was wounded for this battle (hence the especially brutal PK).

First of all, I'm super cereal here.

I like cereal. Preferably, Frosted Flakes.

I guess the only thing wrong is that the son the the former Spartan traded sides to fight for Xerxes army. So that couldn't be Hossa because he went the opposite way. But I get the idea...

This would be Hossa (solely based on looks):

300.jpg

Marion%20Hossa.jpg

Edited by RedStormRising

I like to think of the Wings more like the sacred trilogy. (And no I don't have time for pictures but feel free drake!)

Episode I (later renamed IV but I don't really count those): 2008 is like a new hope where the Wings (read Jedi) are victorious over the emperor, (Bettman) Darth Vader, (Crosby) and the evil empire (You guess it the Pens)

Episode II 2009 is like the Empire Strikes Back...we all know how that ends.

2010? Well that's reserved for Return of the Jedi!

I like cereal. Preferably, Frosted Flakes.

I guess the only thing wrong is that the son the the former Spartan traded sides to fight for Xerxes army. So that couldn't be Hossa because he went the opposite way. But I get the idea...

This would be Hossa (solely based on looks):

Woh, that is a crazy close resemblance. I actually thought you photoshopped the first picture (I only chopped them out of my reply here to save space and stop that repeating photo thing we sometimes get with photo threads).

I like to think of the Wings more like the sacred trilogy. (And no I don't have time for pictures but feel free drake!)

Episode I (later renamed IV but I don't really count those): 2008 is like a new hope where the Wings (read Jedi) are victorious over the emperor, (Bettman) Darth Vader, (Crosby) and the evil empire (You guess it the Pens)

Oh I want a rematch. As it stands we're tied with the Pens in head to head cups, and we're leading 7-6 in Finals wins.

And if Hossa resigns for a longterm contract he becomes the Jedi? It would be epic! :rolleyes:

I just watched 300 yesterday, and I compared the Spartans to the Red Wings. Right now, we are dining in Hell.

Not as glorious as I hoped.

AWESOME THREAD!

Thanks!

Future glory is definitely in the cards for us, don't worry.

Seriously, this made my night. Thanks man.

Nice South Park reference btw.

300 is actually a meaningful number to the Wings. It's the total number of penalty minutes given out in the last period of the famous brawl between the Wings and the Avs in 1997 - the year no Wings' fan will ever forget. That rivalry helped feed our hunger for the glory of obtaining Lord Stanley's Cup.

Edited by Dr. Snacks

Seriously, this made my night. Thanks man.

Nice South Park reference btw.

300 is actually a meaningful number to the Wings. It's the total number of penalty minutes given out in the last period of the famous brawl between the Wings and the Avs in 1997 - the year no Wings' fan will ever forget. That rivalry helped feed our hunger for the glory of obtaining Lord Stanley's Cup.

Thanks.

I didn't realize that about the brawl... that's an absurd number of penalties. It probably padded some PIM stats pretty well.

Comparing Hossa to the backstabber who was at fault for the entire "teams" death ruined it for me and now I think it sucks.

Relax man, the Hossa comparison is just in fun, it's no more poignant than the too many men on the ice reference.