• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FedorovMan91

Goalie next season

Rate this topic

Ok, the season is over and our cap situation is locked up for around 50 million. In this situation, do you want to add some goalies or do you guys want to stick up with Osgood and two prospects(be three if we include McColumn)

I honestly don't think Osgood will perform that well next season. He was great in the playoff but he has scared me throughout the regular season except for few games. Besides, I don't think Howard and Larsson are ready for NHL. Sure, we will give them many chances next season but do you want to re-sign Conklin or stick up with the present situation?

Opinion ~~~

I think Howard would be a fine backup to Osgood, I think thats his only option cause he can't play another year in the AHL. I would love to see what Larsson can do for Grand Rapids...from my research hes suppose to be a nice big body between the pipes. Osgood is the man though...he carried us when Hasek pooped the bed and he carried us this year when we pooped the bed. He is an elite goalie in the league and a hall of famer in my mind.

do you want to add some goalies

Wow. You jumped the normal "our goalie sucks" and went right into "both of our goalies suck". AWESOME.

Ozzie is under contract and, unless traded and replaced with a cheap goalie, Howard is backing up.

/thread

I believe Osgood will be worse than he was in the playoffs, but better than he was through February last year. The main question is if Howard will be the backup, and if the Wings will continue the 2 goalie rotation through the regular season, or mainly lean on Osgood. I don't have a lot of confidence in Howard at the moment.

Conklin for the same price would be a godsend (if we can afford it, haha), but probably would not happen.

I gotta give Ozzie the credit he deserves for this playoff run... without him, things may have ended much earlier! Howard has only come up for a few games here and there. I'd wonder if given the opportunity to consistently back up Osgood if Howard would be more comfortable and the team would be more comfortable with him. Just a thought!

Howard is ready to suck in the NHL. How about that?

Trade the kid and resign Conks for cheap.

Pretty much, Osgood earned another season at least. Conk will be a perfect back up as long as his salary doesn't go up.

If anyone questions Osgood after last season, please give me your adress so I can punch you square in the face.

He had a winning record in the regular season (a very good record actually) and was insane in the playoffs.

This guy is exactly what our team needs.

If anyone questions Osgood after last season, please give me your adress so I can punch you square in the face.

He had a winning record in the regular season (a very good record actually) and was insane in the playoffs.

This guy is exactly what our team needs.

My thoughts exactly!! I'm new around here, so Doc, I'll let you do the punching!! :ph34r:

I do not know who will be backing up Osgood next year, but I truly, deep down believe that Jimmy Howard WILL NOT be playing for the Red Wings next year. I believe he will be waived or traded to another team. I've been looking forward to seeing him play for a while now, but he has shown nothing that gives me confidence that he will develop into the goalie we want him to be.

With the other goalies in our system, I'm digging Jordan Pearce (though I don't think he'll see any team within the next 2 years), and that Swedish goalie is sounding pretty good. I'll take Conks back if he signs for the same price, otherwise, we can't afford it right now (which sounds like he very much may leave).

Still, under $3M on Osgood and Conklin would be a great deal. I remember in the regular season thinking "Man, Osgood doesn't even need to recover the way Conklin is tearing it up every night (at home at least)."

Edited by weGotTheCup89

Wow. You jumped the normal "our goalie sucks" and went right into "both of our goalies suck". AWESOME.

Ozzie is under contract and, unless traded and replaced with a cheap goalie, Howard is backing up.

/thread

I never said our goalies suck or something. According to the performance of Conklin during the regular season, we may have to pay more than he got this season. Besides, Osgood will do his job but he is 36 years old. Do you think Osgood will be able to carry this team for the majority games for the next season?

Besides, I am honestly scared of Osgood. Because he performed great in the regular season, it does not necessarily mean his poor performance in the regular season is somewhat forgotten.

I never watched how Howard played this season but I did last season. I saw many people post Howard just sucks. I think he played pretty good last season. He played only 4 ot 5 games last season but he looked pretty solid. I know he played bad season but that does not exactly mean he sucks. Give him chances.

You've gotta think Osgood wants to prove critics wrong that he's still a money goalie regular season=playoffs. Howard, he needs a shot. He may not get the wins when he came up, but he always impressed me at least, wanna see what he has.

I wish I had a penny for every time some one has said a players Red Wing career was over before it even started. I would be very rich, right now.

Give the kid a chance. Goalies take a long time to develop. I know we expect instant sucess around here, especially when we good just bring in a free agent goalie and move on, but now more than ever, we need to promote from within. Will Howard have growing pains learning the NHL? Of course, every player does. Give him a chance. Then make your decision. The Red Wings have invested a lot of time into Howard, and I believe they will give him that chance.

Besides, Conkin has to play for Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, or whatever team is in the Winter Classic. :rolleyes:

Edited by CenterIce

Howard deserves a shot to play as a backup. Every time he has seen NHL playing time he was called up for a few days, and sent back down. He needs time to get comfortable up here. We will still have home ice in the first round of the playoffs even if our goalies don't play as well as they could. We need as much cap space as possible and I think Conklin could get 2-2.5 mil somewhere else, definately out of our range.

I think Conklin will sign for whatever the Wings offer. Not only is it an EXCELLENT opportuity for him to play for a Winner, but he's guaranteed plenty of ice-time due to the fact that he'll probably basically split games with Oz again. FedorovMan91 is right.....Ozzie IS 36. And that's why they'll keep him fresh for the Post Season, when they need him most.

Couple that with the fact that it's a TERRIBLE market for a UFA goaltender this year, (too many bodies, not enough nets), and I think Conklin will be happy to have a home, to be honest.

I think Howard will be traded. I think Wings managment started losing faith in him last Season, and he did absolutely nothing to make them change their minds.

If anything, he's REGRESSED every year since he's turned Pro.

Now.....

They just need to find a way to break the Conklin Curse. And QUICKLY, too.....

Give Jimmy Howard a chance...if it doesn't pan out after a couple months, call up Larsson, who is a better goalie anyway (but could benefit even more from another AHL season).

Give Jimmy Howard a chance...if it doesn't pan out after a couple months, call up Larsson, who is a better goalie anyway (but could benefit even more from another AHL season).

He's had his shot. He's not improving in the AHL, and his NHL record is a pathetic 1-9.

I think Ozzie has more than earned his spot as our 1st string goalie. Sure, he had a time period where he was off during the regular season, but he took the break, got his head straight and then played amazing for the rest of the regular season. He even said this in an interview and says he won't ever have a time during the regular season like that again. Plus, he was a beast during the playoffs and many times he carried the whole team and gave them a chance. Ozzie fits this team perfectly and rounds them out

As far as our back-up, I'm content with keeping Conkles around. He's not a horrible back-up to have.

Give the kid a chance. Goalies take a long time to develop. I know we expect instant sucess around here, especially when we good just bring in a free agent goalie and move on, but now more than ever, we need to promote from within. Will Howard have growing pains learning the NHL? Of course, every player does. Give him a chance. Then make your decision. The Red Wings have invested a lot of time into Howard, and I believe they will give him that chance.

This.

Goalies are the most difficult players in the game to predict the future of. There's too much of a mental element with goalies. Howard has elite physical tools and talent, all he needs now is to work on his consistency and become accustomed to the NHL game. You can literally say that for ANY goalie prospect. Carry Price was as close to the perfect goaltending prospect as could be asked for. The Canadians brought him up to the NHL and what happened? He struggled mightily with consistency. Price was horrible this season. Horrible. (aside from a handful of good games) Should the Canadians give up on him?

It's tough to justify giving up on goaltending prospects early- there's just too much history of s*** turning into gold and goal turning into s***.