• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Law

CBA Question

Rate this topic

Before the season starts you can send a 1 way contract player to the minors without exposing them to entry waivers. Does anyone know if this persons cap hit would still count against the salary cap ?

The reason I ask is I can see a situation for lots of teams in which you would want to hide salaries (Briere) in the AHL.

Only waiver-exempt players can be sent down and up w/o being exposed to the waiver wire.

One-way contracts have nothing to do with it -- it just means if they are sent down to the minors they are still making their NHL contract. Two-way contract players have a different salary when playing in the minors.

Right, and either way, whatever the person is making, whether it's full value on a 1-way or partial on a 2-way, it does count against the cap. In theory, there's no real way of "hiding" salaries.

Right, and either way, whatever the person is making, whether it's full value on a 1-way or partial on a 2-way, it does count against the cap. In theory, there's no real way of "hiding" salaries.

That is only if their contract went into affect after the age of 35 -- for example: We could never hide Draper in the AHL - his contract would still count against the cap.

Someone with a bloated contract, like Khabibulin, can be sent down with little fear of getting claimed through waivers, and be hidden.

Only waiver-exempt players can be sent down and up w/o being exposed to the waiver wire.

One-way contracts have nothing to do with it -- it just means if they are sent down to the minors they are still making their NHL contract. Two-way contract players have a different salary when playing in the minors.

I understood the 1/2 way contract thing but couldn't figure out how some teams would be able to hide contracts in the AHL. Hockey night in Canada had long discussions about this and how the cap could effect certain teams and I can never remember if certain finer points are in the CBA.

Thanks for setting me straight.

That is only if their contract went into affect after the age of 35 -- for example: We could never hide Draper in the AHL - his contract would still count against the cap.

Someone with a bloated contract, like Khabibulin, can be sent down with little fear of getting claimed through waivers, and be hidden.

right. but you can only really do this is the player is getting paid way more than they're worth, right? khabi could have been claimed when he was sent down, but was getting paid way more than he should have for how he had been playing all year at that time.

i have a question for OP. i'm just curious which situations you see this happening in with a guy like briere. are you just thinking over-paid, under-performing player? i just have a hard time seeing him go to the AHL for the entire year...and if it's not for the entire year, then what's the point, because you'd have to clear cap room anytime he was brought up anyway...

i have a question for OP. i'm just curious which situations you see this happening in with a guy like briere. are you just thinking over-paid, under-performing player? i just have a hard time seeing him go to the AHL for the entire year...and if it's not for the entire year, then what's the point, because you'd have to clear cap room anytime he was brought up anyway...

I posted the question mostly as a hypothetical and like I said they had talked about it alot on Hockey Night in Canada radio.

The reason I picked Briere was because for the 10-11 season the Flyers have something like 50 million tied up in 12 or 13 players. The current cap is 56.7 and all indications are that it isn't going up anytime soon. Its not impossible to sign 7 or 8 guys for 9 million or so but it certainly isn't something a team would like to do. The Philadelphia (where I live) media had reported that 3 teams turned the Flyers down outright on even discussing a Briere trade. Its highly unlikely but I could see where they would want to keep young talent and have no real options in terms of moving him. I have to imagine the Flyers and other similarly situated teams will work their way out of this but I wanted to know if it is even possible.

My guess is that with the way teams trade and the lack of increases in the salary cap some team is going to decide that if they can't trade a guy and he won't retire they are just going to send him down to the AHL, if he gets picked up on waivers that sucks but what else are you going to do. Obviously that leaves room for the possibility of a million dollar veteran playing in the AHL.

Article 13 covers waivers and the exemption rules are somewhat complicated hence me not remembering what was real and what was NHL 09.

Edited by Johnny Law