• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ElCapitan

Creepy Crosby

Rate this topic

I don't usually read this guy but I liked what he had to say about the officiating and class.

Stan Fischlers Blog on MaxHockey.com "Creepy Crosby and Other Playoff Postscripts"

Creepy Crosby And Other Playoff Postscripts

By Stan Fischler

* CREEPY CROSBY: You would think that Bill Guerin's class would have rubbed off on Sidney Crosby by now, but it hasn't.

In one of the truly crass acts of the Finals, the Penguins captain ignored his Red Wings counterpart, Nik Lidstrom, in the traditional, post-series handshake ritual.

Gross, dense, obtuse -- pick any one of them -- they describe Crosby's unsportsmanlike behavior in the moments after Game Seven.

Following form, the gentlemanly Detroit captain led his teammates in congratulating the new champions, awaiting Crosby. But Lidstrom waited in vain. The Kid disdainfully iced him out.

Apparently, at age 21, Crosby still hasn't figured out what's right and what's wrong in this hockey business.

Kris Draper, the Red Wings alternate captain, was right behind Lidstrom and couldn't believe that Sid The Immature blew off so distinguished a gentleman as Lidstrom.

"Nick was waiting and waiting," Draper told an Associated Press reporter, "and Crosby didn't come over to shake his hand. That's ridiculous, especially since he's their captain. And make sure you write that I said that."

Crosby's whining and petulance has only added to his spoiled-brat image which has turned off fans in virtually every precinct but Pittsburgh.

Even worse, the Cup win won't change him a bit.

* HOW THE FINALE WAS DECIDED: According to The Maven's observation, Game Seven was decided in the first period by a succession of events.

For starters, the Red Wings came off the opening face-off like Gang Busters, hitting every Penguin in sight. It all looked good and the fans at The Joe roared their approval.

There was only one problem; when the dust had cleared, the home club had nothing to show for it and this emboldened the Penguins who had won the game's first test -- staying alive in The Blitz.

This was followed by a sorrowful succession of Detroit blunders: 1. A giveaway by Brian (Apple Turnover) Rafalski; 2. The first of a series of bad "clears" by Chris Osgood; 3. Endless, mindless Detroit offsides that disrupted otherwise solid attacks; 4. Red Wings second and third-liners couldn't keep pace with Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, Slapsie Maxie Talbot, et. al. 5. Pavel Datsyuk must have been out to lunch at a local diner; he could not be found on the ice.

Mike Babcock's boys escaped the period with a 0-0 tie but they couldn't reverse the momentum in the second; which was why Slapsie was able to open the second period so quickly with his goal.

* THE UNSUNG PITTSBURGH HERO: Why all the fuss over Mario Lemieux? He just hung around the Penguins for the past few years so that he could get his elusive money. The genuine ace in the high command is Ray Shero.

The diffident g.m. made key moves up and down the calendar. Start with his dumping Michel Therrien; then there was the addition of Bill Guerin who succeeded all expectations.

And, finally, the selection of hard-to-spell Dan Bylsma of all the unknown coaches to run the bench. If Shero made one bad move, it was not having the guts to forbid Crosby to grow that grotesque moustache. Unforgiveable, that's what it was!

* WHY A STENCH FOLLOWS THE CUP: Many media observers commented on a sudden change in officiating for the Finals. Of course, the league never allowed that there was a directive -- or a gentleman's agreement, or whatever -- to allow fouls go uncalled that previously drew whistles in the first three rounds.

All of a sudden, as the last round began, it was apparent that the zebras were instructed to "let them play," which is a discreet way of saying that what once was obstruction wasn't obstruction any more.

Nice; especially for the Penguins who played goon hockey from the get-go and got away with it. Evgeni (Izzy In A Tizzy) Malkin commits a suspensable foul and emerges to play the next game because -- because -- because. Oh, yeah, because he's Izzy Malkin and not Matt Cooke. And speaking of the dear boy Cooke. Has there ever been a sneakier, dirtier player who got away with more below-the-belt behavior in the Finals than Matty Boy?

If it happened only once, I would be happy to overlook it but over and over again the officials cut breaks for the Penguins right down to the end.

A look at Talbot's first goal in Game Seven and it' is abundantly apparent that the play began with a center ice offside that never was whistled down. And can we ever forget the Penguins getting away with six skaters for a full TWENTY-ONE seconds without a whistle being blown for too many men on the ice. This was a decisive blunder (oversight, overlook) that turned a game -- nay, the series -- in Pittsburgh's favor.

Hail to the ostriches -- disguised as zebras!

* WHERE WAS THE GAS MAN? Summing up his team's defeat, Mike Babcock said his club ran out of gas. Superficially, it's a logical alibi. But, no, actually it indicts the coach, himself, for blundering. He had players with plenty of fuel and let them vegetate.

Justin Abdelkader starred in the first two Detroit wins. He was full of hiss and vinegar but Babcock scratched the whiz kid and he was nowhere to be found in Games Six and Seven when his speed was most needed.

And when the Penguins began pushing around his Red Wings, why wouldn't the coach dress someone who never would take the crap being doled out by that Dirty Cookie named Matt. Chris Chelios would have rapped Cooke's head so hard, he'd have thought he had run into the Grand Coulee Dam, minus the water.

Never mind the "out of gas" line; how about "out of coach?"

Speaking of which, you can't tell me that a championship coach couldn't extract something better than what Babcock got out of Marian Hossa, the multi-multi-multi millionaire who couldn't get a multi-goal, let alone one measly red light in the last game.

Then again, to score a goal would have required the Highway Robber to show up; and we know that never happened, don't we? (We sure do, Aunti Tillie, we sure do.)

* NEXT YEAR: Always there's the infantile media rush to predict another Cup or Cups for the Penguins and the suggestion that other clubs will follow in the path off Pitt-style firewagon hockey.

But let's not get dumb so fast.

That's what happened after Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and the Blackhawks gang won The Cup in 1961. They were going to win again in 1962, 1963 and 1964.

Ha!

Nearly a half-century has elapsed and Chicago still hasn't won another championship.

With all the talent -- including the greatest goalie I ever saw, Glenn Hall in goal -- the Blackhawks became a glittering team of high-speed also-rans.

Don't be so sure that Pittsburgh will win another Cup in 48 years.

Heads -- as in Crosby -- get swelled. Unrestricted free agents forget loyalty and bolt. And who says Bylsma will be able to control this collection over an entire season? (Ask Therrien.)

* AU REVOIR: In the meantime, hail to the Champs and kudos to the runners-up who came out on top in a commendably key area -- CLASS.

That's something that Sidney The Kidney, with all his millions, can't buy, although I'm sure that Nik Lidstrom would be glad to offer a few classes to The Whiner.

For that, though, The Whiner has to be first in line; not hiding from Nice Guy Nik.

I don't usually read this guy but I liked what he had to say about the officiating and class.

Stan Fischlers Blog on MaxHockey.com "Creepy Crosby and Other Playoff Postscripts"

Creepy Crosby And Other Playoff Postscripts

By Stan Fischler

* CREEPY CROSBY: You would think that Bill Guerin's class would have rubbed off on Sidney Crosby by now, but it hasn't.

In one of the truly crass acts of the Finals, the Penguins captain ignored his Red Wings counterpart, Nik Lidstrom, in the traditional, post-series handshake ritual.

Gross, dense, obtuse -- pick any one of them -- they describe Crosby's unsportsmanlike behavior in the moments after Game Seven.

Following form, the gentlemanly Detroit captain led his teammates in congratulating the new champions, awaiting Crosby. But Lidstrom waited in vain. The Kid disdainfully iced him out.

Apparently, at age 21, Crosby still hasn't figured out what's right and what's wrong in this hockey business.

Kris Draper, the Red Wings alternate captain, was right behind Lidstrom and couldn't believe that Sid The Immature blew off so distinguished a gentleman as Lidstrom.

"Nick was waiting and waiting," Draper told an Associated Press reporter, "and Crosby didn't come over to shake his hand. That's ridiculous, especially since he's their captain. And make sure you write that I said that."

Crosby's whining and petulance has only added to his spoiled-brat image which has turned off fans in virtually every precinct but Pittsburgh.

Even worse, the Cup win won't change him a bit.

* HOW THE FINALE WAS DECIDED: According to The Maven's observation, Game Seven was decided in the first period by a succession of events.

For starters, the Red Wings came off the opening face-off like Gang Busters, hitting every Penguin in sight. It all looked good and the fans at The Joe roared their approval.

There was only one problem; when the dust had cleared, the home club had nothing to show for it and this emboldened the Penguins who had won the game's first test -- staying alive in The Blitz.

This was followed by a sorrowful succession of Detroit blunders: 1. A giveaway by Brian (Apple Turnover) Rafalski; 2. The first of a series of bad "clears" by Chris Osgood; 3. Endless, mindless Detroit offsides that disrupted otherwise solid attacks; 4. Red Wings second and third-liners couldn't keep pace with Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, Slapsie Maxie Talbot, et. al. 5. Pavel Datsyuk must have been out to lunch at a local diner; he could not be found on the ice.

Mike Babcock's boys escaped the period with a 0-0 tie but they couldn't reverse the momentum in the second; which was why Slapsie was able to open the second period so quickly with his goal.

* THE UNSUNG PITTSBURGH HERO: Why all the fuss over Mario Lemieux? He just hung around the Penguins for the past few years so that he could get his elusive money. The genuine ace in the high command is Ray Shero.

The diffident g.m. made key moves up and down the calendar. Start with his dumping Michel Therrien; then there was the addition of Bill Guerin who succeeded all expectations.

And, finally, the selection of hard-to-spell Dan Bylsma of all the unknown coaches to run the bench. If Shero made one bad move, it was not having the guts to forbid Crosby to grow that grotesque moustache. Unforgiveable, that's what it was!

* WHY A STENCH FOLLOWS THE CUP: Many media observers commented on a sudden change in officiating for the Finals. Of course, the league never allowed that there was a directive -- or a gentleman's agreement, or whatever -- to allow fouls go uncalled that previously drew whistles in the first three rounds.

All of a sudden, as the last round began, it was apparent that the zebras were instructed to "let them play," which is a discreet way of saying that what once was obstruction wasn't obstruction any more.

Nice; especially for the Penguins who played goon hockey from the get-go and got away with it. Evgeni (Izzy In A Tizzy) Malkin commits a suspensable foul and emerges to play the next game because -- because -- because. Oh, yeah, because he's Izzy Malkin and not Matt Cooke. And speaking of the dear boy Cooke. Has there ever been a sneakier, dirtier player who got away with more below-the-belt behavior in the Finals than Matty Boy?

If it happened only once, I would be happy to overlook it but over and over again the officials cut breaks for the Penguins right down to the end.

A look at Talbot's first goal in Game Seven and it' is abundantly apparent that the play began with a center ice offside that never was whistled down. And can we ever forget the Penguins getting away with six skaters for a full TWENTY-ONE seconds without a whistle being blown for too many men on the ice. This was a decisive blunder (oversight, overlook) that turned a game -- nay, the series -- in Pittsburgh's favor.

Hail to the ostriches -- disguised as zebras!

* WHERE WAS THE GAS MAN? Summing up his team's defeat, Mike Babcock said his club ran out of gas. Superficially, it's a logical alibi. But, no, actually it indicts the coach, himself, for blundering. He had players with plenty of fuel and let them vegetate.

Justin Abdelkader starred in the first two Detroit wins. He was full of hiss and vinegar but Babcock scratched the whiz kid and he was nowhere to be found in Games Six and Seven when his speed was most needed.

And when the Penguins began pushing around his Red Wings, why wouldn't the coach dress someone who never would take the crap being doled out by that Dirty Cookie named Matt. Chris Chelios would have rapped Cooke's head so hard, he'd have thought he had run into the Grand Coulee Dam, minus the water.

Never mind the "out of gas" line; how about "out of coach?"

Speaking of which, you can't tell me that a championship coach couldn't extract something better than what Babcock got out of Marian Hossa, the multi-multi-multi millionaire who couldn't get a multi-goal, let alone one measly red light in the last game.

Then again, to score a goal would have required the Highway Robber to show up; and we know that never happened, don't we? (We sure do, Aunti Tillie, we sure do.)

* NEXT YEAR: Always there's the infantile media rush to predict another Cup or Cups for the Penguins and the suggestion that other clubs will follow in the path off Pitt-style firewagon hockey.

But let's not get dumb so fast.

That's what happened after Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and the Blackhawks gang won The Cup in 1961. They were going to win again in 1962, 1963 and 1964.

Ha!

Nearly a half-century has elapsed and Chicago still hasn't won another championship.

With all the talent -- including the greatest goalie I ever saw, Glenn Hall in goal -- the Blackhawks became a glittering team of high-speed also-rans.

Don't be so sure that Pittsburgh will win another Cup in 48 years.

Heads -- as in Crosby -- get swelled. Unrestricted free agents forget loyalty and bolt. And who says Bylsma will be able to control this collection over an entire season? (Ask Therrien.)

* AU REVOIR: In the meantime, hail to the Champs and kudos to the runners-up who came out on top in a commendably key area -- CLASS.

That's something that Sidney The Kidney, with all his millions, can't buy, although I'm sure that Nik Lidstrom would be glad to offer a few classes to The Whiner.

For that, though, The Whiner has to be first in line; not hiding from Nice Guy Nik.

What a shock that a Ranger fan would write such a Pulitzer winning piece :rolleyes:

This was perhaps the worst sports article I have ever read. It made little sense and seems more like the ramblings of an 80 year old man than an actual story.

There is already a topic discussing Crosby and the hand shake line, which seems to be the intent of this topic. It's time to move on because this obsession with attacking Crosby over the hand shake line is quickly becoming old. I don't like what Crosby did but get over it already. There are a lot of people on this site that are acting like Crosby just raped their mother.

Edited by Hockeytown12

This was perhaps the worst sports article I have ever read. It made little sense and seems more like the ramblings of an 80 year old man than an actual story.

There is already a topic discussing Crosby and the hand shake line, which seems to be the intent of this topic. It's time to move on because this obsession with attacking Crosby over the hand shake line is quickly becoming old. I don't like what Crosby did but get over it already. There are a lot of people on this site that are acting like Crosby just raped their mother.

Close -- 77 years old.

Stan Fischler rules! He may be batty and 100% wrong on a lot of occasions, but I could sit and listen to that guy for months on end.

Close -- 77 years old.

Stan Fischler rules! He may be batty and 100% wrong on a lot of occasions, but I could sit and listen to that guy for months on end.

Well, he did once say that Denis Potvin was better than Bobby Orr :lol:

ANOTHER thread about Sidney Crosby? Oy vey. I think it's time for a moratorium.

What do you suggest instead, something new and novel like threads on getting some grit, potential line combos or Hossa's future with the Wings? We are fans for crying out loud and part of that is obsessing endlessly over the same things! If it weren't true then there wouldn't be all these sports shows on the radio where the same s*** is repeatedly endlessly. It's all part of the fun.

P.S. The article was an outside perspective and it validates a lot of things people here think about Crosby, plus it calls out our own coach, which I think is justified. We may have been out of gas, but were were out coached just enough. That, I think, is a foolish thing to let go and fail to acknowledge.

Edited by Stiffy

We already knew (before the series started) that Crosby is the biggest piece of s*** in the NHL. Nothing he does surprises me anymore. It's sad this scum bag is the face of the NHL, but it is what it is. NHL will always be a laughing stock as long as Bettman keeps his butt plugs in Crosby.

Until Bettman grows a pair and realizes that Alexander Ovechkin is the obvious and best choice for the face of the NHL, we're doomed.

Edited by Snazzy

I turned off the TV when the horn sounded, so my question is, what was Crosby doing while the hand shakes were going on? Why wasn't he in line?

I'm not a fan of the handshakes after a playoff series is over. I don't think they should have to. If the team that loses wants to get off the ice A.S.A.P. it's a-ok with me. There's to much emotion involved.

I'm starting to wonder if this Penguins Championship will be bad for the NHL? There's so much anti-Pens/Crosby and Penguins conspiracy talking going on right now, that it could be another negative thing for the league. The fact that Bettman is hated so much and that Crosby is his guy doesn't help the situation either, it's probably making it worse.

I'm not saying this as a Wings fan, I'm saying this as a 32 year old sports fan, I don't think I've ever seen so much negativity towards a Championship team as I'm seeing towards the Penguins right now.

Next year we'll see Cindy's face even more, and outside of Pittsburgh, who even likes the guy? NHL TV ratings could go down further next year just because people are annoyed.

We'll see I guess...

Edited by Barrie

I'm starting to wonder if this Penguins Championship will be bad for the NHL? There's so much anti-Pens/Crosby and Penguins conspiracy talking going on right now, that it could be another negative thing for the league. The fact that Bettman is hated so much and that Crosby is his guy doesn't help the situation either, it's probably making it worse.

I'm not saying this as a Wings fan, I'm saying this as a 32 year old sports fan, I don't think I've ever seen so much negativity towards a Championship team as I'm seeing towards the Penguins right now.

Next year we'll see Cindy's face even more, and outside of Pittsburgh, who even likes the guy? NHL TV ratings could go down further next year just because people are annoyed.

We'll see I guess...

I know I, for one, will not be watching the Finals next year if it involves the Penguins and not Detroit. I'm so sick of hearing about Pittsburgh year-in and year-out. It's really sad because I love hockey and don't really enjoy watching other sports, but the way this league is run is just ridiculous compared to other sports.

I thought a few good points were made in that article.

And no, I'm not thinking about Crosby and the handshake, I'm talking about the inconsistency in officiating and the fact that someone like Abdelkader played very hard and impressively in the first two games and then never saw the ice again, despite the fact that other people were sleepwalking all over the place.

You are first one and last one

I thought a few good points were made in that article.

And no, I'm not thinking about Crosby and the handshake, I'm talking about the inconsistency in officiating and the fact that someone like Abdelkader played very hard and impressively in the first two games and then never saw the ice again, despite the fact that other people were sleepwalking all over the place.

Wasn't Abdelkader injured to close out the series? I could be wrong, but I thought I read/heard that a couple times.

We'll see I guess...

Yeah...like I was saying in another thread about Bettman, even if all his business moves are right, there's something wrong with the situation if he's still attracting so much hate. You've got to manage PR too. This Penguins/Crosby thing falls in the same thread. I feel I'm being objective in saying that the guy isn't liked much around the league be it by the players or the fans. It shouldn't be overlooked who the players, his peers, voted as the biggest whiner...none other than Sidney Crosby. And like you said, there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding this and everyone in their mother seems to want to cry foul about the officiating this year, in particular game 3 (which I agree was not only slanted but the turning point in the series).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the vibe that a guy like Ovechkin is fairly well-liked. He's got his antics that draw criticisms, but generally, he seems to be appreciated by players and fans. He's a great player (better than Crosby if you ask me), great on the PR front (WAY better than Crosby), funny (Crosby funny?) and he's got enough edge and flare to make him interesting with the celebrations and all. I'd much rather have him tacked on to every commercial than Crosby.

Before we played the Pens in the finals last year I was already sick of Crosby. Like Bettman, he doesn't know how to sell himself. He just comes across as a whiny little punk. He always has to me. I felt this way from day one. He's not near as bad as some make him out to be, but he's certainly not undeserving of the negative attention he garners either.

Big difference between Sid and Ovie: Crosby's negative attention is annoying; Ovie's negative attention is at least entertaining.

What do you suggest instead, something new and novel like threads on getting some grit, potential line combos or Hossa's future with the Wings? We are fans for crying out loud and part of that is obsessing endlessly over the same things!

We're fans?! Really?! I had no idea.

That's not the point. Threads about future line combos and Marian Hossa would at least be threads about the Detroit Red Wings. People complain about Crosby being shoved down our throats and how he's over-marketed or that he's Gary Bettman's boy-toy or what have you, but then people feed that by starting thread after thread after thread about the guy.......to complain he's over-marketed and being shoved down our throats.

That's like complaining your arm hurts while you repeatedly slam it in a car door.

We're fans?! Really?! I had no idea.

That's not the point. Threads about future line combos and Marian Hossa would at least be threads about the Detroit Red Wings. People complain about Crosby being shoved down our throats and how he's over-marketed or that he's Gary Bettman's boy-toy or what have you, but then people feed that by starting thread after thread after thread about the guy.......to complain he's over-marketed and being shoved down our throats.

That's like complaining your arm hurts while you repeatedly slam it in a car door.

Who ever said humans were logical? I mean, people like you keep posting replies whining about the repeated threads and it does nothing either. In effect, you are exhibiting the same basic behavior pattern - postus repeatus. What else do expect people to post about? This was a bitter pill and people are going to vent. Follow the advice so often posted here - if you don't like a thread, move on. Some of you think you may be superior humans who can go through the 7 stages of Cup loss quicker than others, but whining is whining. You in particular. You often put yourself up as this superior member or poster or fan, but so many of your posts are going after other people. It's subtle, but really it is just trolling. Then again, maybe you are on your period this week? If so, ask your boyfriend for a back rub to relive those cramps. Oh wait, you are a male? It IS hard to tell.

Edited by Stiffy

Oh please. I expect nothing less from someone out of the Rangers camp like Fischler. They're our biggest Atlantic Division rivals besides Philly and already hate Crosby, especially Fischler. So let's not act like this guy writes objective journalism. People are making wayyyy too big of a deal about the handshake thing. Do people really think he was unsportsmanlike, or is it just out of resentment because it's Crosby? I don't think he did anything deliberate to disrespect the players. I thought Lidstrom handled it very well and had a response that was very fair and objective.

It's annoying for people that are sick of Crosby, so yes a Penguins cup does have negativity follow it in that respect. But in general if people stop watching hockey over it, then I have to question just how passionate they are about hockey in the first place and if those are the kind of fans hockey needs. As far as people outside of Pittsburgh, in my experience the response to Crosby is mixed. Some like him, some don't, some are indifferent. You just can't generalize. The so called "antics" of Crosby are no different than anything a lot of other players do, but he gets so much exposure people notice it more. The thing about Crosby is that he was in the position of being the first marquee talent to enter the league right after the lockout, and I think the league got too carried away with it. But I don't know how much of that is Crosby's fault himself, though. If he would have been less accommodating and shunned the media, he would have been heavily criticized for that as well as being unwilling to try to help the sport of hockey. The position he was in was pretty unique so it's hard to say what is the "right" way for a guy to handle it. If people want to say he's too vanilla in his interviews, the league markets him too much, and they're sick of seeing him, I'm not going to argue with that. But for someone to shun hockey over one player, well that's really petty.

Edited by Free_Candy

Who ever said humans were logical? I mean, people like you keep posting replies whining about the repeated threads and it does nothing either. In effect, you are exhibiting the same basic behavior pattern - postus repeatus. What else do expect people to post about? This was a bitter pill and people are going to vent. Some of you think you may be superior humans who can go through the 7 stages of Cup loss quicker than others, but whining is whining. Follow the advice so often posted here - if you don't like a thread, move on.

:thumbup:

I don't need anyone telling me what I should, or should not, read. The thread will fail on it's own if there is no interest in the subject.

I think a little more restraint could be applied before clicking the "Add Reply" button. I'm sure we could find something else that will hold our interest.

Edited by MidMichSteve