• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ElCapitan

Creepy Crosby

Rate this topic

Oh please. I expect nothing less from someone out of the Rangers camp like Fischler. They're our biggest Atlantic Division rivals besides Philly and already hate Crosby, especially Fischler. So let's not act like this guy writes objective journalism. People are making wayyyy too big of a deal about the handshake thing. Do people really think he was unsportsmanlike, or is it just out of resentment because it's Crosby? I don't think he did anything deliberate to disrespect the players. I thought Lidstrom handled it very well and had a response that was very fair and objective.

It's annoying for people that are sick of Crosby, so yes a Penguins cup does have negativity follow it in that respect. But in general if people stop watching hockey over it, then I have to question just how passionate they are about hockey in the first place and if those are the kind of fans hockey needs. The thing about Crosby is that he was in the position of being the first marquee talent to enter the league right after the lockout, and I think the league got too carried away with it. But I don't know how much of that is Crosby's fault himself, though. If he would have been less accommodating and shunned the media, he would have been heavily criticized for that as well as being unwilling to try to help the sport of hockey. The position he was in was pretty unique so it's hard to say what is the "right" way for a guy to handle it. If people want to say he's too vanilla in his interviews, the league markets him too much, and they're sick of seeing him, I'm not going to argue with that. But for someone to shun hockey over one player, well that's really petty.

Are you are talking about his being the Captain of a Stanley Cup winning team? If so, there is a "right" and wrong way for him to handle it. With respect.

Um, no, I was talking about him supposedly being the "savior" of the league. (sorry, the quote got messed up)

As for the rest of it, I thought the handshake line was pretty hasty. I think the Pens should have waited for Crosby or one of them should have grabbed him so the rest of them could line up behind him to organize it a little better on our end, but I don't think anything was deliberate. I think a Wings fan I talked to compared it to Crosby being a bit like a kid at his own birthday party not paying attention and the other guys were in a hurry to get off the ice, so it is what it is. At 21 he's the youngest ever to raise the cup so, unfortunately he doesn't have the same veteran poise as Lidstrom yet, but it's not like he took the cup, gave people the finger, and skated off. Hopefully Lidstrom and Crosby can shake hands in Vegas.

Edited by Free_Candy

Um, no, I was talking about him supposedly being the "savior" of the league.

Then that would be a difficult position for anyone.

I don't think he did anything deliberate to disrespect the players

Lidstrom was being charitable. Disrespect is disrespect, intentional or not.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Then that would be a difficult position for anyone.

Lidstrom was being charitable. Disrespect is disrespect, intentional or not.

Well, I tend to think intentions warrant how much something is really worth extensive complaints over, but I'm not going to push the issue anymore.

Edited by Free_Candy

Well, I tend to think intentions warrant how much something is really worth extensive complaints over, but I'm not going to push the issue anymore.

I guess that would depend on whether I am the one that is being shown disrespect.

;) Peace.

I'm starting to wonder if this Penguins Championship will be bad for the NHL? There's so much anti-Pens/Crosby and Penguins conspiracy talking going on right now, that it could be another negative thing for the league. The fact that Bettman is hated so much and that Crosby is his guy doesn't help the situation either, it's probably making it worse.

I'm not saying this as a Wings fan, I'm saying this as a 32 year old sports fan, I don't think I've ever seen so much negativity towards a Championship team as I'm seeing towards the Penguins right now.

Next year we'll see Cindy's face even more, and outside of Pittsburgh, who even likes the guy? NHL TV ratings could go down further next year just because people are annoyed.

We'll see I guess...

Sorry to join the discussion late... However I agree that it is bad for the league. I'm by no means a hockey expert, I'm pretty much just a casual fan, but I've been following the Wings and hockey in general since the early 90's, and I've never heard of all this kind of consipiracy theory type talk before with regards to a Stanley Cup championship. We'll never know if there was some kind of rigging behind the scenes, but at the end of the day there probably isn't. What breeds this kind of thinking is the constant over-exposure of one team, and one player in particular. It makes it so every little mistake made by the refs seem like it was done on purpose so that the pens could the Cup.

All this over-marketing of Sid and the negative conspiracy theories it brings is only hurting the league and potential new fans. I've been trying to get my girlfriend into the Red Wings and hockey since we won the cup last year (she's more of a Pistons fan), and after this playoffs she's convinced that the NHL is corrupt because of the officiating and the Sidney Crosby love. From an outsider looking in, I don't blame her, it really does look like the league wanted to give him the cup with whatever means necessary.

The thing is, if the whole NHL marketing machine wasn't so far up Sidney Corsby's arse, he wouldn't be nearly as loathed. The point made by the earlier poster about Bettmann being a PR nighmare is entirely correct. He may know his stuff to some degree, but If I was his boss, I wouldn't let him within 3 miles of a press conference as his whole persona is slightly repulsive.

I have some sympathy for crosby, who I though illustrated that he had grown up a little this year. He's been told he's the messiah since he was 16, and no matter how balanced you are, that will have an impact. As for the league...he's the best North American player in the league at the moment, and its that jingoism that informs his status. If the NHL was a truly international league, he would be sharing the spotlight with Ovechkin, Malkin, Dats, Chara, Lidstrom and maybe one or two others. All are as good if not better, but crucially none are from Canada or the US. This illustrates partly the outmoded attitudes of the NHL heirarchy who fail to realise that 'the kids' are far less likely to be influenced by nationality than say 25 years ago. There are probably more kids in Canada wanting to the next Ovie than Crosby, and until they see that, the league is missing a trick. If EA's NHL franchise of games can work it out, why can't he NHL?

The league currently has one "super-star" and that is Crosby...

The next tier is pretty exclusive as well, consisting of Ovechkin and Malkin.

If the NHL is like the NBA, and the "super-star" treatment exists -- yes, it is pretty freaking annoying that two out of three reside on the same team.

I really hope Tavares gets the super-star treatments, just to spread it around a bit.

I have no problem with the league giving the spotlight to some of the other players. As much as I have hated the Islanders for years and always will, I hope Tavares does very well for them and gets some of his own media attention. I would love to see the Rangers/Islanders rivalry alive and well again as well.

And, there is no American hockey journalist who knows more about the history and the traditions of the League than Mr. Fischler.

That doesn't mean he's not a homer. This is the same guy who thought Trottier was better than Gretzky. You are free to nod your head in agreement with this old timer if it makes you feel better, he's entertaining in a Don Cherry sort of way but I don't think his assessment on the matter is exactly objective.

Edited by Free_Candy

We're fans?! Really?! I had no idea.

That's not the point. Threads about future line combos and Marian Hossa would at least be threads about the Detroit Red Wings. People complain about Crosby being shoved down our throats and how he's over-marketed or that he's Gary Bettman's boy-toy or what have you, but then people feed that by starting thread after thread after thread about the guy.......to complain he's over-marketed and being shoved down our throats.

That's like complaining your arm hurts while you repeatedly slam it in a car door.

:lol::thumbup:

Fischler's pretty sharp. Not a lot of writers recognize that Guerin succeeded all expectations. :blink:

Fischler's been irrelevant for so long I thought he was literally dead. He should just stick to writing books about the New York subway.

It's amusing that someone crying about goon hockey (read:playoff hockey) holds Marc Messier in such high regard.

Hello Pot? Meet Kettle