• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Sedin's want the Zetterberg deal

Rate this topic

It appears that the Vancouver Canucks will have to break the bank if they want to hold on to the Sedin brothers. According to a report on Swedish website expressen.se, Daniel and Henrik Sedin are looking for identical 12-year contracts worth $63 million each, similar to the one signed by fellow countryman Henrik Zetterberg with the Detroit Red Wings.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282198

I can see a similarly-structured contract, although not for the amount if they each want one. They are young enough.

Does anyone else find the twin thing a bit freaky with them? I mean, most twins I know go their separate ways when they grow up.

EDIT: spelling. Apparently the misuse of apostrophes in the article got to me.

Edited by 55fan

I'm a triplet, I gotta tell you, even looking at the Niedermayers (ok, not twins), but playing with a brother gives you that much motivation.

With that said, if these two want to stay together, they'll have to take a pay cut/

Ridiculous.

There pretty solid, but not as high of a caliber player as Zetterberg is.

$63 million a piece? I think not, Not gonna happen in Vancouver. Only a team really looking to add a 1-2 punch would drop that kind of cash, they would simply be overpaid if they recieve the money they ask.

I wish they'd go to the East, I can't stand either of them.

Ridiculous.

$63 million a piece? I think not, Not gonna happen in Vancouver. Only a team really looking to add a 1-2 punch would drop that kind of cash, they would simply be overpaid if they recieve the money they ask.

I smell Brian Burke all over this.

Well, I can see that. After all both did win the Cup last year and Daniel was the Conn Smythe. Oh wait... They are both good players, but they haven't won anything to deserve this kind of money. They can say goodbye to Vancouver if they want that kind of money and say hello to some crappy team that has no chance of making the playoffs. Hello Islanders.

Ridiculous.

Those two are both 80+ pt players that have been consistently posting a point per game pace for a few years now. They're never injured (oddly enough) and both just had a great playoff run.

Paying them 5.25 million a year each is actually very reasonable. The contract length is where it gets risky, but they're more likely to stay healthy for 12 years than Zetterberg so that makes up for the contract length factor (Zetterberg got a long contract because the Wings need the cap room and if he retires early it won't affect the cap).

There are lots of teams that would pay 10.5 million a year for a pair of players that produce 160+ points a year. That's better than most top lines produce...

I really don't think this is a crazy deal for the Sedins to ask for. Vancouver should go for it and pray they don't decline in production too much 8 years from now ;)

In March, HNIC mentioned that Brian Burke wants two Sedins and probably also Tavares to rebuild the team. I am not bashing Sedin brothers but they are not around the level of Zetterberg. In the regular season, they must be close but if you compare the playoff, Zetterberg is a tank while many Canucks fans call them chokers.

Am I the only guy who is hard to call Sedins being the team's best players? They have good skill but they have no intensity. However, the Canucks have to catch Sedin brothers. If they don't, they may not have a chance to go far in the playoff or even cannot make the playoff. Mike Gillis must know this. If they don't do enough good, Luongo is going to leave the team and the Canucks will be screwed up for many years.

Some Canucks fans say they have one rookie called Cory Hodgson. I never saw his play but heard he is a young talented player. But, do they expect him to be somewhat like Crosby or Getzlaf?

Moreover, Ohlund said he will leave the team because he wants the Cup. I am not going to be surprised if the Canucks don't make the playoff next season

How much would this deal affect their ability to re-sign Luongo next summer?

Be honest, it is really never mentioned but he wants to win the Cup. Rumor is not just rumor and there is a reason why the Canucks fans also think Luongo will leave the team if they don't get to the third round.

If they don't re-sign Sedin brothers, rest of the offensive players:

Bernier, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hordichuk, Demitra, Johnson, Rypien.

They have much cap space so I think the Canucks can sign for them but what I am saying is if they don't get them, they will be in big holes

Be honest, it is really never mentioned but he wants to win the Cup. Rumor is not just rumor and there is a reason why the Canucks fans also think Luongo will leave the team if they don't get to the third round.

If they don't re-sign Sedin brothers, rest of the offensive players:

Bernier, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hordichuk, Demitra, Johnson, Rypien.

They have much cap space so I think the Canucks can sign for them but what I am saying is if they don't get them, they will be in big holes

I'd say the twins have the Canucks over a barrel. They almost have to sign them.

Some Canucks fans say they have one rookie called Cory Hodgson. I never saw his play but heard he is a young talented player. But, do they expect him to be somewhat like Crosby or Getzlaf?

Yes. A thousand times yes. At this risk of sounding like Pierre Maguire, this kid is a MONSTER!

First time I saw him play was the Canada vs. Sweden exhibition game at the ACC and the second time was in a Brampton Battalion playoff game where he dropped a hat trick and assisted on the OT winner.

I'm insanely jelous of the fact he's playing for Vancouver. Credentials:

- Named to the World Junior Championships All-Star Team in 2009

- Named the OHL All-Star Classic Player of the Game in 2009

- OHL All-Star Classic record; most points, single-game - 5

- Brampton Battalion franchise record; point-scoring streak - 23 games

- Won the William Hanley Trophy (OHL's Most Sportsmanlike) in 2009.

- Won the Red Tilson Trophy (OHL's Most Outstanding Player) in 2009.

- Named to the OHL First All-Star Team in 2009.

- Named the CHL Player of the Year in 2009.

Watching this kid is worth the price of admission alone.

Ya they have Cody Hodgson who played in the OHL this year, and now is with the Manitoba Moose. After the OHL season, he was only able to play the AHL Playoffs with the Moose, and he put up 6 points in 11 games. Not bad for his first go at the AHL level.

He is a great player with tons of skill, I was lucky enough to see him in action this year in the OHL.

Edited by under_par_00

How much would this deal affect their ability to re-sign Luongo next summer?

If the Canucks don't sign the Sedins they better aquire an elite offensive threat or two. Luongo wants to play for a Cup contender, so he's not going to sign with the Canucks if their chances of winning the Cup are regressing.

Right now they need to show Luongo they're seriously committed to putting together a winning club long term.

I forgot to include the Sedins on the "players you irrationally hate" thread we had a while back. They can't help being creepy twins, but their insistence on identical EVERYTHING bothers me. You're supposed to eventually get sick of mom dressing you in the exact same clothes, they never did.

They're both excellent players, but I sort of agree with the guy above, I just don't see them as franchise centerpieces. And since you have to lay out for both of them, they would have to be for that kind of money.

But hey, have at it Burkie. No offense to the OP, of course.

(All of that said, I wish the Sutters made more of an effort to be a package deal back in the day, that could've been fun.)

Hodgson Ericsson for Calder next year!

Fixed it for you.

Once the summer's over his wrist will be fully healed and he'll be able to start firing his 100mph rockets from the point. If Sammy leaves we just might see Ericsson out on the 2nd PP unit beside Kronwall (assuming Babs is willing to play with two lefties out on the PP, hopefully he will be).

Plus, Ericsson's already mentioned he wants to get back in the gym as soon as possible... he's only going to get bigger and stronger over the summer :D.

Fixed it for you.

Once the summer's over his wrist will be fully healed and he'll be able to start firing his 100mph rockets from the point. If Sammy leaves we just might see Ericsson out on the 2nd PP unit beside Kronwall (assuming Babs is willing to play with two lefties out on the PP, hopefully he will be).

Plus, Ericsson's already mentioned he wants to get back in the gym as soon as possible... he's only going to get bigger and stronger over the summer :D.

Screw the slaphots! When his wrist is healed we'll be seeing alot more of this: